Who Likes R.p.g"s: Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mystic-convoy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. mystic-convoy

mystic-convoy sand viper

like the title says. what is your favorite role-playing video game?
    mines fire emblem sereies, kindom hearts, paper mario, skies of arcadia legends and final fantasy.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

For console: FF7
    For portable: Pokemon
    For action-RPG: KH

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Favorite game ever: Final Fantasy 8, although several of the FF's get a perfect score from me. I am also a complete glutton for Chrono Cross/Trigger, and Castlevania Symphony of the Night, though the latter is not really a hardcore RPG.

For action RPG's, I liked the SNES Secret of Mana.

Although I love certain RPG's, they are also the genre that seems to have the worst games. I think RPG's are amazing when executed correctly, but I think doing that is one of the hardest things for a game company to do, and I think most RPG's made turn out to be dull or chore like. I really tried to like games like Disgaia, anything from Atlus or Gamearts, but they just only stay fun for so long. One thing I must say that I think RPG's need is great music. That's one of the main reasons I like the FF series- they took the music serioulsy. This happens very rarely now, and I play very few RPG's nowadays.

4. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

I'm more fond of North American style RPGs like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls than I am of Japanese style RPGS.

As for favorite, Fallout series.

5. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm an old-schooler for RPGs. Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana. SNES in general was an awesome system for role-playing games.

For more modern, I like Grandia 2, FF7 and 9, and the Pokemon series.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Favourite Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy VIII. It's plot takes a bit of thinking to decipher in full, but once you understand what's going on, it's very hard to not appreciate how beautiful it actually is. It's story and themes are intricately woven throughout, and there's very little wasted storytelling space. Almost everything helps tie the story together. And at least up until IX (not having played any of the FFs past that), it's easily got the best gameplay, with the ramped up battle speed and reaction triggers that make the battles more interactive and interesting. And Triple Triad is easily the best minigame ever developed. It's quick to learn, easy to play, but is deep on strategy, and the best part is that you can play it pretty much anytime, anyplace (except perhaps deep in the enemy strongholds), so if ever you need a diversion, look no further.

Favourite RPG: Tales of Eternia (aka Tales of Destiny 2). If you've ever played a Tales game, you know what the draw is. For once, the battles are the parts of the game you want to play the most. Eternia brought pure perfection to the system, introducing novelties like realtime spellcasting (previous games in the series would freeze the battle anytime a spell was cast), and a much freer combo system, ensuring that the battles stay fast and furious. The game balance is immaculate. Neither too easy, nor too hard, even random encounters are a credible threat, but not cheaply so. The game encourages some semblance of strategy. Button mashing will likely get you killed, as all sorts of enemies have devastating counterattacks for given situations. But play things with a cool head, and you'll come out fine. The bosses are an absolute joy to fight. Each has their own unique fighting style that often requires you to think on your toes and assess what the best plan of attack is. And there's so much stuff to do in this game. Minigames up the wazoo, a ton of sidequests, optional bosses, you name it, it's there. Perhaps the story could be better, as the writing lacks a certain gravitas that would make it feel truly epic. But it's passable at least. But I can easily overlook it, because it's just so goddamned fun to play.

7. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Planescape: Torment = Best RPG ever. It's been proven. With science.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

RPGs I liked: Final Fantasy (all was good except XI cause it was online only and XII cause it was like a online game offline), Suikoden I-V, Wild Arms 1-4, Kingdom Hearts I-II, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Pokemon (From the Blue/Red days to Diamond/Pearl days), Breath of Fire I-IV

I want to try as i never tried any of them yet but cant seem to make myself buy it: any Dragon Warrior game, any Grandia game, or any Tales game.

But the best game would go to CHRONO TRIGGER.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I play a lot of RPGs, mostly the Japanese ones rather than Western ones though. I am also making my own RPG (Steelknight, link in sig), and I've been experimenting with a TF SRPG of a sort.

10. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

heck yeah

also true!

11. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

FFVII favourite console,
    fav handheld: MediEvil Ressurection (short but cool)
    fav addictive: Pokemon handheld RPGs

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Amen.

I keep looking for an RPG that's as much fun to play as Bard's Tale II (gs edition, with the funky music and high-quality graphics for the time). That came out in what? The mid eighties? I haven't found one yet. And my damn Apple's sound card is busted and would cost about four times more than the machine is worth to fix, so I can't even play that anymore.

RPGs have huge potential and I always seem to get let down when I actually try them. There's got to be good ones out there somewhere that strike the balance between enjoyable challenge and ridiculously difficult. But I have yet to find them.

13. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

True Story.

14. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

My favorite RPG is Breath of Fire 4. It's depressing that it was followed by that terrible Dragon Quarter on the PS2.

15. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Does anyone count Deus Ex as an RPG? I would have to rate that as my favorite RPG if it can be considered that. Otherwise....

Baulders Gate 2

Others I have enjoyed: Fallout, Knights of the Old Republic, Elderscrolls: Daggerfall, Elderscrolls: Morrowind, Elderscrolls: Oblivion, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears

16. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I play Japanese RPG's, but way too many to list.

17. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Deus Ex, Elderscrolls, and Fallout. I'm not a big fan of FF or JRPG style after Super Nintendo.

18. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Golden Sun 1 & 2 for the GBA. Those were such awesome games.

19. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I spend about 80% of my time in videogames playing RPG's so you could say I'm a fairly big fan of them. I do my best to buy new and old RPG"s to bolster my collection. Its just a shame that I buy too many because they never get played.

I prefer Japanese ones,but I do still play the others like Elder Scrolls,KOTOR,Fable etc.

My favourites would have to be Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar:Eternal Blue Complete both for the PSX. A close second would have to be the Lufia series.

20. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    This one is my favorite:

[​IMG]