who is this? how come i never hear of this jumbo awsome g1 transformer ever?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Feb 21, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i was searching for more g1 transformers for my collection. so i came across a few i never even heard of or ever seen anyone talk about. who is this g1 supersize transformers? is he rare? it is c-371 grandus. theres a few more i never heard of either, six builder, six turbo, six wing. are these combiners?

Botch's Transformers Box Art Archive - Japanese: Cybertrons

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the six's are micromaster combiners, grandus is rarer. he is the only part of the star convoy set that hasn't been reissued or been found in abundance

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Most of what you are naming are end run Japanese Transformers releases (Grandus is from Zone or REturn of Convoy and the Six teams are from Operation Combination).
    And yes, Grandus is rare and quite expensive. Technically, so are the Six teams (6 part micromaster combiners) but they've been repainted and/or reissued multiple times in the US and Japan and the products themselves are relatively easy to acquire.

4. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    i didnt see season 3, 4 or any later japanese series of the cartoon yet. so i have no clue who these guys are. so are micromasters tiny transformers like the size of bubble bee? or do they call them micromasters for another reason? also is toy of grandus big like fort max? or regular size like omega supreme or the combiner sets?

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Micromasters are smaller than the G1 bumblebee figure, there's quite a lot of them, both US and Japanese release, along with bases, bigger vehicles to go with them etc.

You can pick up quite a lot of them for pretty cheap off ebay and it doesn't take long to get a fairly impressive army of them for a G1 collection.

Grandus is a different matter tho, he's EXPENSIVE yo.

I recently became obsessed with Japanese exclusives, but they're pretty hard to come across for cheap, and I can so far count one Dinoforce member and Victory Leo as the only ones I've felt comfortable enough with the price to buy.

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Grandus is obscure, though he got a little more attention with his cameo in Animated. It was only the second time I'd heard of the guy. The first time I heard of him was when someone started a thread complaining about how fat Energon Optimus Prime was.

7. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    thanks for the info, so micromasters are smaller transformers. so they combine to form a bigger robot? im not 100% sure if i want these yet. still debating on them.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Micromasters showed up in late G1... around the time of Micro-Machines... "Micromaster Transformers! The most amazing Micros of All. They're not just small. They're Transformers!"

Anyway, first MMs came in patrols of 4, they just transformed vehicle to robot. Then bases, transports, stations were introduced.

Then there were "Micromaster Combiners". Instead of patrols of 4, they were squads of 6, each Micromaster forming the front or back half of a vehicle, with all halves being able to combine with the other half to form a vehicle.

Then, only in Japan, they had sets of 6 micromasters that each transformed vehicle to robot but also, with the use of lots of extra parts, combined into a single larger robot.

So, not all Micromasters combine, and some Micromaster "combiners" do not form a larger robot.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  I love you, mac&cheese, and your "G1 101" threads.

You know, Grandus isn't really all THAT big. I don't have him here at work but he's next to my Star Convoy at home, and he's a head or so smaller. So maybe comparable to Leader Bulkhead, only wider.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grandus is neat, for sure... but has one of those "I lay down to transform" styles of transformation.

Mine will likely be up for sale at Botcon if you're itchin' for one.

EDIT: Holy crap, they put him in Animated. And Sky Garry right next to him. How about that!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, in Animated Grandus transformed into a parade float. No shit.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Technically he was a landing pad, but they used him as a parade float for that episode.

Him and Dug Base.

13. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Advise

Get Grandus ONLY if:

1) You're keen in collecting Return of Convoy series.

2) You wanna link him up with Star Convoy & Skygarry either in base or alternate mode. (Must admit that the trio looks pretty nifty in their "combined" form) :thumb 

At least they look good to me. :D 

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe I'll take a picture of my Cybertron Grandus when I get home tonight. Check back later. :D 

15. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    yes im going back and learning about g1 stuff. i was out of g1 for 10 years. but this site is so helpful. just the last few days ive learned so much about g1 transformers. thanks again everyone.

16. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Grandus & his Micromaster

[​IMG]

Enjoy! (The flash of his decals distorted the image a little)

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    His arms are proportionately tiny. LOL

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    im sorry to you who like him but man that thing is ugly.

19. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Yah, he's a true G1 Brick, but I've come to love him just the same over the years. It's tough being a Miromaster Base third in line to Star Convoy. However, the Return of Convoy just wouldn't have been the same without him. G1 ended much better in Japan than it did with the West's Action Masters.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like Grandus every bit as much as Trypticon and Metroplex. He's the same thing, just for Micromasters. I think having a robot mode puts him over the likes of Skyhopper and Skystalker.

In fact, I've been meaning to check out the Return of Convoy toys' compatibility with Micromachines playsets. Maybe I'll fart around on Craigslist and see if I can find a lot for sale. Anyone ever try that out?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010