Who introduced you to Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimus4EVER, Oct 17, 2017.

?

Who introduced you to Transformers?

1. You found it yourself

65.8%
  2. Mom

10.3%
  3. Dad

13.7%
  4. Brother

7.7%
  5. Sister

0.9%
  6. Friend (or other not listed here)

12.8%
  7. Grandma

4.3%
  8. Grandpa

2.6%
  9. Husband

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Wife

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. seanlockyer

seanlockyer UCF: The REAL 2017 National Champions

Ebay:
    I felt the same way about He-man. I was a HUGE he-man fan during 1983 and most of 1984. Then I saw Transformers in October, 1984 and kicked He-man to the curb and never looked back.

2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

My best friend and his Mom gave me a G1 Ironhide for my 8th birthday in 1984. I recall opening the package and wondering, "What the hell is a Transformer??".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Hard to say... I remember catching Armada on TV first, but my first TF was an RiD Wedge my dad bought for me at a mall.

Now what I really remember was getting into Bionicles. My aunt gave me a Pohatu for Christmas and I bawled my eyes out because I thought it was broken :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  4. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    It was the awesome 80's commercials.

5. Toonstrack

Toonstrack Titan Master

In 2007 my friend at summer camp brought some of the movie toys to show off to everybody and basically spoiled the whole movie for me(I wasnt really interested so I didnt care). Over time, though the toys grew on me and looked cooler and cooler, so I eventually went with my Grandmother(RIP) to a Walmart and she got me a deluxe Scorponok... and the rest is history

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    It was a boy from Berlin I used to play with on vacation. We went to their caravan and he showed me Headmaster Siren and told me about their leader being a red truck. I was in awe. When I was back home I found Transformers a few weeks later and begged my mom to get Siren. She did not want to get him at first, but I could not imagine going home and not have this awesome toy that the other boy showed to me.

From then on, Transformers were my favorite toys EVER and fueled my imagination wildly.

Later in 1989 the cartoon started to air here and further cemented Transformers as the BEST THING EVER to me. Shortly after we got reprints of the Marvel Transformers comics which I also bought some issues.

And all the kids in my school also had Transformers. I can still vividly remember. It was awesome. I still remember looking for seemingly hours at the pack-in catalogs, or walking through toy stores when I was in town with my parents. I mostly just accompanied them solely for having a chance to take a look at Transformers in a store (and hopefully taking some home). Good times.

The last days when my mom was still alive, she even remembered how I loved Transformers. I nearly shed a tear cos I never knew that she really knew things like that about me, especially never having talked to her about Transformers for at least 20 years.

TL;DR: A boy on vacation introduced them to me in 1987 or 1988.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron Great Again!

While my cousin and I were watching another cartoon, (Go Bots, I think) we saw the initial/pilot commercial for the first Transformers toys. We were both in awe and said in unison (back then, in Stereo :p ), "That would be an awesome cartoon!" Sure enough, they made a cartoon, which DESTROYED Leader-1, Scooter, Cy-Kill and the rest of the Go Bots and we never looked back. So, in a nutshell, Go Bots' ineptitude introduced us to Transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    2007' TF1 Movie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Saturday, September 17th 1984. Technically my little brother was doing the channel surfing, but it was me who insisted he stop at this starfield as we swooped in on a strange planet...

--Moony

• Like Like x 2
  10. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

I turned on the TV in 1984, and there it was. :) 

But honestly, I don't remember it that much. It didn't really take until 1985, after I got some TF toys Christmas '84. I think I was still wrapped up in He-Man in '84, so that's where my attention went. Saturday was all about Superfriends, Spiderman, and (of course) The Smurfs. I don't recall if TF were competing for timeslots, or were on different channels.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mom did when she rented divide and conquer from the video store! Then as a double wammy my friend next door had extra copies of the first few transformers comics and gave them to me! I found the cartoon on tv and the rest is history.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Silvia

Silvia Well-Known Member

Since I was little, I've always been attracted to everything related to cars, robots, etc. So when I was four, my father thought that I would like to watch a cartoon about robots that transformed into vehicles (G1).

• Like Like x 1
  13. robwhit1

robwhit1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I had a few bucks and picked up a G1 laserbeak/frenzy (or whatever you want to call him) when they were first released. I had no clue who they were or what was about to hit the toy market. I just thought they looked cool. I collected gobots up till then and honestly didn’t have any problems picking up KOs or other transforming robots.

Next time we went to the store, I picked up a Sunstreaker and “wow”. I was hooked on TFs. I don’t think I saw any cartoons for months after. I remember being a little disappointed the cartoons didn’t match my figures. Now everything has to match the G1 cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SportPeppers

SportPeppers Member

My wonderful Grandmother did! I used to love anything construction or just vehicle related, I had an encyclopedic knowledge of just about any utility, construction, or emergency vehicle when I was very little. I spent a lot of time at my Grandparents growing up, practically everyday from the ages of 3-6, and one particular day, my Grandmother decided to buy me a Transformer as a surprise gift, I'm not sure what exactly made her get that in particular, maybe my ridiculous thing for anything machine? Anyways lol, I came over and was presented with RiD Prowl and my mind was blown. It took what I loved and built on that and made it a freakin' robot! I was all-in immediately. For those not in the know, RiD/Car Robots toys, particularly the car brothers were not the easiest of figures to transform. Very fiddly, and lots of things that have to be in just the right place. I can't count how many times those darn gull-wing doors came off their ball joints in the process of me trying to figure out how it worked. It's been a running joke that she is to blame for creating the enormous cash-sink that Transformers became. But that is all in joke, after seeing how much I loved it, and the puzzle-solving concept of them and engineering of it all, my parents fully supported it as well, resulting in the ultimate purchase of my childhood that was Armada Unicron some years later. My Grandparents from then also became fully supportive of it, and would buy them and we would figure them out. We'd go on hunts at Antique stores and everywhere for G1 and new figures coming out. Once I had figured out it was more than a toyline, it also blew my mind. We didn't have cable for a while, and I saw ads for RiD and the like on Fox, but never saw it on. When we finally got cable I was introduced to Toonami (Which is a whole separate amazing nostalgia-trip!) and through that Armada. Dreamwave then began their run of comics, and my father and I would go to the comic store and pick them up every Wednesday. From their I fully got into the lore of the universe of the Transformers and every character in it. I remember explaining different characters to my grandparents and talking about the Great War of the Autobots and Decepticons. It just kept picking up from there, my Grandmother and I would go even more in-depth talking about the characters and would find VHS tapes of G1 and watch the episodes. Good ol' G1 Optimus Prime became her favorite character and it became a bit of a tradition that every year she would get something Optimus related for Christmas. In fact, she ended up getting me the first US release of MP Optimus way back, which blew my mind at the time. That figure was kind of a pipe dream for young me, it was the most incredible figure, more expensive than Unicron, metal, crazy engineering, just the end-game of collecting for kid me. I have a special spot for that figure. I ended up giving it a permanent home in her room, and showed her how it worked. I feel lucky to have Grandparents as awesome as them, My grandfather and I went to my first (and only...so far!) TF convention back at Botcon '08. They not only started the amazing addiction that is Transformers, but fully got involved with the universe of it, and furthered it into something that still is a big part of my life today.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    my father, who when I was younger had a habit of buying DVDs of the latest movies for us. One day he got us Transformers 07, I saw Blackout blow up the Qatar base, and bam. I was hooked. It was a slow progress but now that I'm working I have a lot more TF toys than I could ever imagine as a kid...

16. Macross79

Macross79 Banned

Yeah, same thing with me, I was watching it but didn't remembered it that much, I had a few Transformers toys when I was a kid, but that was it. When I moved to Europe in the Summer of 86, Transformers aired on tv, and it had the Season 3 intro, that's when I started thinking to myself "What happened to Optimus and all the other Autobots?" I didn't know their was a movie in 86 until the movie aired on tv in 2007. I was into He-Mam, Thundercats and TMNT at the time.

17. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Transformers had something of a stealth introduction in the UK in the summer of 1984 when I was 7 - I remember seeing Transformers for the first time on the back page ad of Marvel UK's Spider-Man. In particular, I remember Jazz being one of the toys to really stand out. A few weeks later, I went on a day-trip to Glasgow with my grandparents who, took me to the toy section of British Home Stores (a now defunct department store chain) and let me pick any toy (within reason) that I wanted.

BHS had rows and rows of Transformers! There were so many to choose from and I sort of took my time at deciding. My Grandfather lamented on the wisdom of letting my pick the toy that I wanted because I was "taking bloody ages". Anyhow, I picked out Red Alert and was allowed to buy an issue of the Transformers comic book to read in the car on the way home as well! I remember obsessing over the small inlay catalog and drawing transformers all of the time. We started back at school the following week and all of the kids thought that was nuts, because none of them had heard of Transformers.

It wasn't until the start of summer of the next year that G1 cartoon aired on British TV for the first time, and Transformers became a very big thing in the UK.

18. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

YouTube:
    The TV. I knew about Transformers before I discovered Beast Wars, but all I remember is the commercial break CG whatever you call them. The "we'll be right back" things. Anyway, this was the early 90s, so I was watching Nickelodeon shows by then, and of course Batman and Spider-man. By 96, I can't recall what new shows I was watching, but I remember Reboot and hated it. It was so damn boring and hard to watch due to the terrible animation. Flipping through the channels one morning I came across this new CGI show that was much easier on the eyes. It was The Web, so I just missed the pilot. I was all about dinosaurs at the time so as soon as Dinobot showed up I was basically hooked.

Extreme Dinosaurs came out around the same time but the raptor designs were dumb as hell. Instead of the big sickle toe they're supposed to have, it was a spike sticking out of the ankle. The fuck?

Dinosaurs are cool, yo.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I have two brothers, no sisters, so I am in to a lot of 'guy stuff' and watching cartoons made for 'boys' was just a normal thing for me. They didn't introduce me to it, we were all just kids watching our cartoons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheGDR

TheGDR Well-Known Member

Parents. I remember my first TF toys being Energon Hotshot and Prowl, followed up with Super class Optimus and Snow Cat on my 4th birthday. Back then I was used to watching the Unicron Trilogy cartoons on morning TV and had no idea different continuities existed, so when my aunt got me a copy of the 86 movie boy was I confused.

• Like Like x 1