Who introduced you to Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimus4EVER, Oct 17, 2017.

?

Who introduced you to Transformers?

1. You found it yourself

65.8%
  2. Mom

10.3%
  3. Dad

13.7%
  4. Brother

7.7%
  5. Sister

0.9%
  6. Friend (or other not listed here)

12.8%
  7. Grandma

4.3%
  8. Grandpa

2.6%
  9. Husband

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Wife

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Randomly caught part of an episode of the old RiD cartoon. Got a few of the toys but soon forgot about them. Got into collecting once Cybertron came around.

2. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire BUMBLEBEE MUST DIE!

News Credits:
    I think I saw an ad in a comic book or something. I was big into the Gobots & knew the Transformers were coming. After a couple months Skywarp, Starscream & Thundercracker finally showed up. I couldn't believe how big they were compared to the Gobots & instantly fell in love.

3. TexasBEAST

TexasBEAST Arch-Analyzer

The Province of the Solitary Astral Phenomenon
    I stumbled across a GoBots advertisement in a girly magazine belonging to a girl down the street in early 1984 and thought they were pretty cool.

But it was a TV commercial for the Transformers Marvel US comic that blew my mind forever. I think that was May of 1984. The toys started appearing locally that summer. The cartoon started out locally on cable TV as part of the Bozo the Clown variety show, but I didn't have cable, so I had to just settle for episode summaries from a guy buddy who lived on the opposite end of the street from the GoBots girl. The cartoon started appearing on broadcast TV later in the year, and I was fiending for it!

4. Tforce

Tforce Banned

Television, and it was a glorious experience. The Autobots were rescuing people from the sinking oil rig or something and I was like, WHAT IS THIS???

5. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mum bought me Red Alert and a Decepticon, G1 reruns sealed the deal. Animated hooked me back and finally Matrix Quest/LSOTW will have me here till death do us part.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Sunbow G1 re-runs. Found it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A kids magazine I bought was occasionally talking about the 2007 movie, its characters and their toys, they all looked very colorful and cool.

8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine too!

Saw Megatron on the shelf in mid-1984. Mom got him for me.
    Then later that year saw the show and I was hooked. For 34 years. Wow, those subliminal messages really worked...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    From what I remember, my first exposure was finding them in a toy aisle. I don't remember ever seeing any commercials or the TV show until after I already had my first toy. But I was three years old so of course my memory can't be considered flawless.

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I have a vague early memory of being four years old, being woken up by my older brother while he was getting ready for school. I wasn't in school yet cause I never went to preschool and too early for kindergarten. But my dad and my brother were watching some G1 Transformers episode. I don't remember clear enough to say exactly what episode. Hell I can't ever really remember what our house looked like cause this was the place that burned down. But I do remember Transformers being on early in the morning before my brother left for school. So I guess my dad and brother introduced me to it?

11. combaticonsfrvr

combaticonsfrvr Lusus Naturae

My grandparents, who bought me a BM Rattrap when I was 3 despite my dad specifically telling them not to buy me any Transformers, having already foreseen them becoming a lifelong obsession if I managed to get a hold of one.

Welp, here we are.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bumblebeeyonce

Bumblebeeyonce Member

I was 9 years old and the first live-action movie had come out recently, and I had seen it and wanted no part of it. My mom, my 5 year old brother, and I were at Walmart or Target or something, and Robert (my brother) saw the first season of Transformers Animated on sale, which I still had no interest in. My mom refused to buy it and instead, recorded some episodes from TV. I was half paying attention to the first episode she recorded, Along Came A Spider, and then I saw Sari. I freaked out. A little girl around my age who was friends with the Autobots? I had never seen anything like it before! From the ages of 9 to 11, I drew so much fanart of her (for some reason, I thought her hair and dress were pink??? but I was mistaken) and then, I started paying attention to the actual plot of the show and appreciating all the characters. By the time I was 13, I had gotten myself so far into the fandom, I got a signed copy of the AllSpark Almanac Part 2 with an inked drawing of Sari Sumdac from Bill Forster for doing a review of the first edition and I got a drawing of one of the characters I created on the old Formspring roleplay group from Derrick J. Wyatt himself. I don't know if they ever read any of these things, but if they do, I just want to say thank you! I'm 19 now, and I'm still internally freaking out over this. Transformers Animated is honestly the reason I'm still drawing and trying to learn new things today. I'm so glad I decided to glance at the show 10 years ago.

• Like Like x 4
  13. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

My parents got me Powermaster Optimus Prime, Ratchet, and Battletrap for my fourth birthday. I've been hooked ever since.

• Like Like x 3
  14. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    Just moved to a new place when I was 5. I was browsing, familiarizing myself with which channels Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were on and Armada just happened to be on. And the rest is history.

15. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Taste

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pretty Much when my Grandmother got me the G1 Protectobots from an unknown source when I was little & when I was 8 my dad bought me RID Magnus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MoonStarRaven

MoonStarRaven Member

I knew what Transformers were, they were always just something my older brothers were into. I'd seen some of the G1 cartoons, but didn't pay much attention to them, and my brothers had a bunch of the toys. I remember I kept steeling Bumblebee and Ravage as they were my favorites.

So I guess technically it was my brothers who introduced me to Transformers. However it wasn't until the first Bay movie and then stumbling across the Transformers section of Fanfiction.net that got me into Transformers. (I've since watched TF: Prime and am currently working my way through the G1 cartoons.) :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gobots did. I picked one up and thought to myself "what the kind of monkey shenanigans is this crap?!?!". Then I saw an Optimus Prime fig next to the Gobots one and was hooked on TFs ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Was flicking around TV one day when I came across this blue and red bot along with others apparently captured by a white bot who also had some others around him. I was intrigued. The first voice and character I heard was optimus prime. It was Sunbow. It was 1984. The rest is history....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Twin Lambo fan

Twin Lambo fan Also loves Snarl

Was hooked on it from the first G1 episode of MTMTE when it aired on TV. Birthday and Christmas that year I started getting the toys.

• Like Like x 2
  20. seanlockyer

seanlockyer UCF: The REAL 2017 National Champions

Ebay:
    Yeah, my mom got me PM prime back when in was in the 6th grade for getting a good report card. Man, I was a proud young man that day.

Still have the figure too. Remains complete and in great shape.

Then I went and bought my friends old Transformers for pennies on the dollar. I bought Highbrow with Gort, Battletrap, Flywheels, Decepticon Clones, Chromedome, Blurr with Haywire, etc.... and I still have all of those figures.

My friend thought he got a great deal and went to buy some Nintendo game while thinking I was a fool for believing TF's were going to be worth something one day. Hell, a majority of my figures from 1987 were bought from friends or at garage sales for next to nothing.

I was probably the only 6th grader around that was still actively buying and playing with TF's. People thought I was crazy but after I sold the box and Styrofoam insert to PM Prime for 50 bucks nobody was laughing anymore, lol....

Transformers can be a great financial investment. Maybe not like gold or silver but better spending money on TF's then on junk.

• Like Like x 4