Who here likes Bay's Directing?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Before I get into why I like his directing, allow me to make this clear:

This is about his directing. Not the plot. Not the design of the robots. The directing. Which is all Bay does. He directs.

Personally, I like it. I think the sunsets are a tad overused, yet I do like the shots he can get with them. His disjointed action scene style didn't do so well in TF1 (except in the Scorponok battle. I thought that worked), but I liked the ROTF fight scenes, like the fight in Shanghai.

Does anyone else like Bay's directing?

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Some shots are well placed, some not so much. Some edits are too quick. But when I watch a baseball game, I'm not watching because of the moves a manager makes - I'm watching because of the players. The same goes for movies.

3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Bay's a great action director. He creates visually stunning action scenes. It's just other aspects of the movie that don't involve action that he doesn't seem to do so well with. I think his circling and moving camera techniques are indicative of his impatience to always see motion of some sort in most of his scenes. He seems to get bored if a scene remains still and static too long, such as with dialogue moments. He seems to want to hurry through those 'less engaging and interesting' parts.

4. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

He's got some pretty good directing.

5. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually he's a producer, too.

But, nitpicking aside, Armageddon and The Rock are two of my favorite action films ever. I don't like every film he's ever made, but I do really like Bay as a director in general.

Now, having said that, I think ROTF is the worst film of his career, IMO. But I think the first Transformers film is awesome.

6. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

he produced the rock?.....awsome!

7. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I really do like some of his cinematography. I think he has great vision and is able to create shots on an epic scale.

On the other hand I am not a fan of the quick edits he sometimes employs. In addition, is also the responsibility of the director to get the most out of his/her actors. I don't think he is as good as other directors at this part of the craft.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I like Bay as a Director. I think his choice for writers and his perchance for okaying Tony Scott-esque edits is annoying at times, but that's systemic of coming up through the school of Bruckheimer. I'll always love Rock, Armageddon and Bad Boys.
    My problems with the Transformers movie franchise are a consequence of making a movie for a mass, mainstream audience. A Transformers live action movie made to please me specifically, would not gross 5% of the Bay vehicle the franchise has become. Thus, I expected the movie(s) we received.
    I can live with that, not bad films, not great films, not films for me and that's fine - it doesn't change a thing about the cartoons, comics or toys I have collected since childhood.
    Shame it ties up the toylines for 10 months or so every 2 years, but that just gives me a chance to save some money and work on some G1-esque customs.

9. Jarmen123

Jarmen123 Ministry of Silly Walks

Some of his films I have enjoyed, but Pearl Harbor was bad, too many
    inconsistencies, terrible lines, and a werid romance that mostly, IMO, brought the whole thing down.

10. blackjkb

blackjkb Banned

wait....if he deirected peral harbor...no wonder the movie was bad....

11. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Bay gets MAJOR props from me for being a director that uses CGI sparingly, and when it is used it looks amazing.

But I mean like all the explosions and stuff, they're (for the most part) legit real explosions, and it works really well!

Kudos to you, Bay.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i like it, he is the director for the job. i don't care what people say, the two we have gotten so far have been great (most complaints against ROTF do not make sense and if you use your frickin brain you will see that). i look forward to what is next

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    I have zero problem with anyone liking ROTF, but that's a bit unfair, don't you think?

14. guard convoy

News Credits:
    after the entire ordeal with most people thinking the constructicons that formed devastator didn't transform.....no, i don't think it is

15. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I liked the movies, but yours is an opinion I can absolutely respect. I wish more people could adopt this attitude about the things they don't like. Kudos to you, and if we ever meet someday I will buy you your favorite alcoholic beverage.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I hate it. I have hated it from the very first. Just from the opening scenes of"The Rock" before I even knew who the guy was. With the stupid funeral and the rain and the rim lighting and the crappy music and the names in big fat letters on the credits. And it didn't get any better from there. On a gut level, it repulses me just a bit. Three films later, I had decided this was a guy to be avoided. I was gutted when I heard he'd landed the job for Transformers.

But that's just me.

I later found out he'd directed a whole bunch of music videos and commercials that I had also hated. Which is unusual for me. There's a lot of stuff I don't like, but there's very little stuff I actually hate.

Some people love that shit. Not me.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I think Bay's a superb action director. And I think he was an excellent pick to direct the TF movies.

18. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    :confused:  I don't think that ranks very high on the list of problems people who didn't like the film had with the film. I know I am completely indifferent to whether anyone wants to believe they had robot modes or not. That doesn't help the plot make anymore sense.

19. guard convoy

News Credits:
    no, i was using that as an example. a lot of the complaints were about the multiple constructions. people were using some weirdo-antilogic to try and figure it out.....after the movie came out pretty much every thread that complained about the movie was retarded

20. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lot's of cliche's, but I do love it, as long as there's no shaky camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.