Who here is not going to be suckered into buying ROTF toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crimson Primus, May 4, 2009.

1. lerath666

lerath666 Autocon Vs Deceptibot

Ebay:
    Don't care for the movie designs enough to buy toys of them.... with one exception. I really like the design of Ravage. Not sure why, but his design is just so original, that i rellay REALLY like it.
    not sure if i Like it as Ravage, more as random robot monster, but still.

2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I can't even generate enough curiousity to look at the ice cream truck pictures, and didn't buy any of the first movie's, so no go with this toy line.

I'll take the time to search out Animated figures I can afford.

--Moony

3. valkfan

valkfan Nova Storm Lives!

The first Bay Transformers movie was a good popcorn flick and I enjoyed it for what it was but I was never inspired enough to like or even appreciate the new designs. I didn't buy the toys from the first movie and I have even less interest in buying the toys for the new movie.

I think too many people get caught up in the fanfare, explosions, advertisement and hoopla enough to buy the toys but I am not one of those people.

4. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I think waaaaaay too many people are posting off-topic here.

The original post was asking if people were going to buy the original releases of the figure, or hold out for a possible premium.

It wasn't if people liked ROTF designs and if they were going to buy any toys from the movie.

Gah. It's called reading, people.

5. shigeoj24

shigeoj24 Well-Known Member

I know that I'll probably be tempted to get a couple figures due to all the hype. But as far as the movie line goes, it really has been the case that waiting pays off. For example, we got the premium line with the first movie and we are now getting revamps of a lot of the characters from the first movie which almost makes that toy line obsolete. After an amazing year of animated and universe toys, it'll be nice to give my wallet a break (but we'll see).

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not banking on a Premium series, myself. It isn't outright unlikely to happen, but the circumstances around the first movie's premiums were retailers wanting even more waves of movie-branded toys on the shelves than Hasbro had anticipated + the line being more successful than budgeted and providing the funds to do said premiums.

This time around, there's just as good a chance that some other form of product-prolonging may take place, and I suspect the line's budgeting is taking into account the likelihood of a similar sales success.

Plus I'm impatient! :D 

7. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    That's not what the thread title implies. It's asking if anyone is going to be suckered into buying the toys. That's it.

8. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Me, suckered into buying toys? Never! Now, planning to get toys, that's something else. My list is basically this:

...with all the 'MAYBE''s turned into 'YES''s, and adding the remaining scouts (I'm presuming Dead End in that list is the Sideways repaint, but for me it's the Scout), Legends Prime, Springer, Megatron and Jetfire, Voyager Megatron, Stratosphere, Wheelie, Devastator (yes, the vehicle-into-body-bits-no-robots one), Breakaway and the Aerialbots. And any Robot Heroes, and if I have the cash, the Robot Replicas.

Basically all of 'em except repaints/redecoes and the Legends class figures I didn't mention. What can I say? I luvs me some movie TF shizer.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only toy line from the ROTF where I have no interest in buying is the Action Battlers.

10. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why did you buy them in the first place if they look like shit?

In fact I see quite a few people saying the movie toys are ugly pieces of shit, but they for some reason bought a whole bunch of them.

Why? Even if you didn't look at reviews or photos of them online, there's a big picture of the robot mode on the back of the package, if you thought it was ugly then, why actually buy it?

Unless you got caught up in movie hype or are one of these obsessive fans who buys everything, in which case it's your own damn fault.

11. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

I'm thinking about getting some of the ROTF toys, just because of the nicknames from the podcast. I'd totally buy them if I could get custom boxes or even name tags done for Cmdr. Doom Wheels, Cap'n Boat Shoes, Flat Whips McCrackin' etc.

12. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I'm not getting all, for now i only got in my list: Sideswipe, FAB LongHaul, Soundwave, Voyager Megatron and maybe Ravage. With any luck that will cost around 125 dollars. ^^

13. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

I said i'm not getting any new movie toys.. in fact i'm currently getting ready to sell all my 07 movie toys... so I'm pretty sure i'm going to follow through.. I think the only one that may get me is Jetfire b/c of the alt mode but probably not.

14. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:

I am one of those that bought all of the first movie molds but think they look like shit. One reason was that I was trying to like the new aesthetic. I don't like to be a hater of anything Transformers and with the movie being promoted everywhere I just wanted to give them a go.

Two years on and I only have one toy (leader Optimus) displayed form that line. I would not categorize even one toy from the movie in my top 100 Transformers of all time. The test of time has shown me that my first reactions are correct and that the movie toys are not anything near what I like. After learning that lesson I no longer have any anxiety over passing these over.

I get the feeling that a lot of collectors feel this way and it might be a shock for Hasbro what a difference that can make. I still wish Hasbro success but I hope that success comes from something other than these things.

15. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

This^^^^^

Not This...^^^^^

Reread then please..."Who here is not going to be suckered into buying ROTF toys yet.... lol"

OMFG people......!

Some of you people need to stay off the caffeine or something.You guys are way too strung out...lol

16. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't you think to stop after buying one or two and not liking them?

Well thanks for the answer anyway, I don't understand the mindset behind it but then there's alot of things in this fandom that I don't understand.

17. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

not buying a single one.
    Hasbro can kiss my half-cast ass as far as im concerned from now on

screwing over the Classics line for the awful Movie toys....

sorry Hasbro but no! you cant release a crap movie with awful toys and expect me to buy the SAME figures again with a handful of newer ones. same crap different packaging

18. oldpunk32

oldpunk32 Member

Ebay:
    rotf toys

I won't be Buying any movie line toys they are ugly and poorly made!!!
    I wish they would make more classics

19. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Whether or not you like the ROTF designs is going to have a huge impact on whether or not you'll buy the toys, Premium or not.

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Cos I was stoopid? :lol 

In the past, There have been times when I was in a shopping centre & "I simply had to purchase a new TF figure on that particular day" *places hands over face*
    Yeah, & the only TFs on the shelves were Movie Figures... so... *shakes head in embarrasment*

These days, I'm much more selective/picky & going through my movie line figures, I'm only gonna keep 7 or so of them (only the really cool ones :wink: )

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who bought Movie Line figures as an "impulse buy"... heh