Who here is not going to be suckered into buying ROTF toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crimson Primus, May 4, 2009.

1. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    I'll get the cool ones that may appear in my area. And an occasional extra whenever I feel like.

2. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I may buy three or four:
    Deluxe Longhaul, Voyager Springer, Deluxe Sideswipe, Blaze Master -now that I think about it, really strange name.

3. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

The only one I care about is Bludgeon.

I love that Wreckage Mold.

And I suppose the Energon Combiners, but I dont think those really count.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That would probably hurt once you got to Ravage :D 

If it's anything like the lesson they learned during the first movie run, I really don't blame them.

^--- What he said. For cryin out loud, it was a joke, and a pretty clear one. And today we've seen that a lot of molds are getting improved repaints/remolds. And I'm sure more will get more of them as the line goes on.

On topic, blame retailers for the Premium toys, not Hasbro. The stores are the ones that demanded more figures and extended the movie toy's run. I doubt Hasbro will pull the same trick twice, especially since the initial figures already look highly screen accurate and the main cast of characters is a lot bigger to work with. While there will tons of repaints and remolds comin' at us, I doubt we'll see the return of the Premiums outside of specific character store exclusive stuff.

And I'm personally going to wait a bit this time around. Skids and Sideswipe are in desperate need of blue paint jobs and I'll only buy the other versions if the line ends without that being done.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Hardly. Considering Hasbro made more money from the movie than any of their other lines, and had a far higher demand for stock a year after the movie was gone from theaters, I cant see this as being a bad move.

You might miss Universe/Animated, but it wont ever sell anywhere near as much as movie tie in stuff. That I promise you.

6. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i wasnt going to at first. but i just saw walmarts photos..how can you say no to a pink and white icecream truck that turns into 2 bots.
    deadend
    swerve
    ransack.
    ravage
    ........maybe a couple more but those are my tops..

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I don't plan on buying any. I don't like the movie TF aesthetic in toy form very much. If that $100 Devastator had fully transforming components, I'd probably fall down that slippery slope starting with that. I have more than enough other TF stuff to buy.

8. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just the on screen charecters like I did with the first movie. I like the look of the movie TF's and will have to update my movie display with the new charecters. So I guess I will be "suckered" into buying a few.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Only interested in RedSwipe.

If I have some spare coin in my pocket and there's something that isn't too ugly on the shelf I might bite on one or two others.

10. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

the ROTF toys don't appeal to me, i just don't like the designs...they all look too futuristic for me...

11. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't give one damn about premium editions or G1 homages. I get what I like, so I guess that makes me a sucker for liking the initial releases.
    The plan is to buy one of nearly everything, even the ones I'm not fond of at some point like the twins and Jetfire. Multiples of a few as well (Fallen, Voyager Megs, Sideswipe, Ravage...).

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't care what color they paint them I'm not buying any movie toys. If Hasbro wants my money then they can release something that isn't a toy with the movie look.

For me the movie stuff can't get over stocked and go on clearance fast enough. So I've got a year or two of being grumpy about nothing new to look forward to. Between the Marvel line going all movie Wolverine, Transformers going nothing but movie, and the GI Joe movie toys looking bad I'm going to save a ton of money that I'll no longer be tempted to give Hasbro.

13. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    o

I will not get suckered in, people that want to buy are not suckers, the suckers are the people like me that are on the cusp, peeking over the edge of the fence.

Then seeing a repaint of a toy I didn't want in the first place, and go for it Evac, Swindle, and Target repaint Jazz were my implements of suckering.

14. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

I was going to get leader megatron, prime, and jetfire, and who knows.
    Then I saw the new fansproject stuff.
    :drool: 
    like most others, now I am getting sidswipe only. I have a feeling he is going to be hard to find.
    It is going to be hilarious to see movie stuff clogging the shelves and online retailers while fansproject stuff is sold out.
    hasbro, you just got :Gouki: 
    :lol 

15. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Leader Prime is the only movie toy on my list. I'm not in a rush, so I'm going to hold out for a premium/Takara edition. If that doesn't happen, I'll pick up regular eventually.

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This right here.:thumbs2: 

17. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Well...I've got quite a few toys I have my eye on, mostly thanks to Peaugh for his persuasive reviews and the new images of the new ROTF toys we've seen this morning...

-Arcee
    -Skids
    -Whirl and Bludgeon
    -Blaze Master
    -Cannon Bumblebee
    -MAYBE Human Alliance Bumblebee
    -Chromia
    -Dead End
    -Deep Desert Brawl
    -Demolishor
    -Dirt Boss
    -Dune Runner
    -The twins in their ice cream truck forms (INSTANT BUY)
    -MAYBE Ironhide (If I can't find Premium Ironhide anywhere else)
    -Leader Jetfire
    -Leader Optimus Prime (definitely more accurate now)
    -Leader Megatron (I'm a sucker for his new tank mode)
    -Deluxe Jolt
    -MAYBE Knockout, I'll have to wait and see
    -Mixmaster
    -Mudflap
    -Ramjet
    -Skywarp
    -Movie Preview Soundwave
    -Sideswipe
    -MAYBE Sideways
    -Rampage
    -Ravage
    -Scalpel
    -MAYBE Ransack
    -Voyager Starscream
    -Swerve
    -The Fallen

Dammit, Hasbro...:( 

18. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was pretty casual about picking up figs when the first movie line dropped. Yet, by now I have nearly all of the main line! What did it for me was the golden gems that came out beyond wave 1 & 2... That once-elusive Concept Bumblebee. Dropkick, Wreckage, Landmine, Stockade.. all winners in my book. I think the key is not to go crazy when they first drop (like I know I did with Animated and Universe, no regrets tho). Most of the good figs came out toward the end of the line with Movie 1, and a lot of good, quality repaints saturated the market.

However, it felt pretty shitty to invest in lower quality toys, only to see Premium versions clogging the shelves. I refuse to buy the same movie mold over again. I will wait on most of these new toys until I know which versions I like best.

When looking back at the first line I have to admit that I am excited about more of the new ones than two years ago. There are just some real stinkers thrown in this time around.

19. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

So for the first movie line of toys - how soon after original release, did the premium repaints come out? we talking 3 months, 1 year? Just so i can get a timeline on how long i'd have to wait for those. I'm still just starting up collecting, so, any insight is helpful. Thanks!

20. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

nothing. I don't even have the hype fooling me into buying stuff like last time. I'm just tired of trying to fool myself into thinking I like the designs when at best I think only a couple are just okay at best. That arcee toy is just....ugghhh..