Who here doesnt collect Masterpieces?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rodimusconvoy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Ive been on the fence for a long time on this; Im putting a budget together, but Im undecided if I should get them, because although very nice display pieces, they are very expensive....

2. neooptimus

neooptimus Member

I don't because because I do not have the budget to do so. I would like to get one though.

3. TehPaws

TehPaws I have a silly name!

I've only bought two, Skywarp and Grimlock, both Hasbro releases. Skywarp was on sale, and Grimlock was on a whim. I don't know if that's really collecting, persay. I'd like to get a version of Prime, but, in a common trend, it's just not in the budget. They really are nice display figures, though. They certainly aren't toys in the traditional sense due to their size and complexity, however, so there isn't much to them aside from standing there looking pretty. It's hard to say from person to person whether that's what you want from them, but simple answer is you'd better really want to buy before you do.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    The one nice thing is that if you are only going after single Decos (one version of prime, no dead prime, no clear starscream, no comic Grimmy, etc) it isnt terribly bad since there is usually only about one released per year. The problem you are gonna run into is playing catchup, but the nice thing is that the US Skywarp can be found pretty cheap, same (relatively) with the US Starscream, and MP Grimmy is at retail. But, like I said, playing catch up is a bitch (trying to budget for that now).

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I do not collect them. The only one I own is the first release of MP Prime, and I was thinking of selling it. They are just too big in one way, they don't go with other figures for which there is no MP version. (This wasn't so bad when Alternators were out.) Too expensive too. Sure, you get a pretty big figure most of the time, but I like it when I can get a good representation of a character for $10-20.

6. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never had one. I'd like to own one though, but seeing as the price is as expensive as some other stuff I get once in a blue moon : Hot Toys, Vintage Jurassic Park etc, I'd choose the other options. Would be nice to own one or two though.

Collecting them all would be suicide.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Just as Transformers statues/busts, Crossovers, RPMs and the like, they are novelty items. As is with everything, as long as you are enjoying collecting and it doesn't cause you unnecessary stress or grief in any other aspect of your life, including monetary portion, you'll be fine.

If you can one for yourself, do so. It will help you decide on what you want to collect in the future, if money is an issue.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I only collect one of each character, with the exception of Ultra Magnus. To me, a white Prime does not = Ultra Magnus.
    I have Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Skywarp and Grimlock and will soon be adding Rodimus Prime to that list, but I am more than happy to give the repaints like Sleep Mode Prime etc a wide berth.

Sadly it looks like due to the poor sales of Skywarp we may never see a Hasbro release of Thundercracker, which is a damn shame.

9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I don't collect MPs. I went into collecting TFs as a mean of fulfilling my kid dream of owning figures of tf cartoon characters I always wanted as a kid. While I do have occasional lapses in my collecting habits (like getting certain alternators and movie figures), I always get the figures I would have adored as a kid (and can love as an adult). I just can't justify collecting MPs, as I would hated them as a kid for being too big and too tiresome to transform.

10. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rodimus will be my first.Budget is a big factor. This is the first time i've had the money to spare when one is coming out.
    I'll probably pick up a Grimlock if I see it in retail somewhere but if not I can live without it.

11. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I don't collect MP. I used to have 20th Anniversary Prime and a gang of Alternators to back him up but they're long gone, chances are they're gracing the shelves of someone who is a member of this very forum! 20th Prime was probably one of the greatest Transformers I've ever owned and it sucks I don't have it anymore. IMO theres not enough variation in the MP line, I don't like the idea of having 12 expensive figures made out of the same 4 molds. I considered getting Grimlock as a stand alone figure but decided not. I'll most likely not be able to resist Hot Rod though. I love me some Roddy.

**Automorph is correct white Prime is by no means Ultra Magnus- you hear that Hasbro??

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't; they just don't do anything for me.

13. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I buy all the masterpiece styled TF toys.

WHY??

Because i'm a adult TF collector. I kinda like to have something in my TF collection. that looks more adult & aimed at older fans/collectors.

I prefer my TF toys to be made quality before quanity.

These MP TF toys are pure works of art,perfection toys,super detailed,super poseable. and the most exact updated homages well ever get. there pure win/awesome.

14. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i have prime and the seekers. they look nice and they are mainly for display only..i don't think i've even transformed the hasbro starscream once! i want to get grimlock to go with my CHUG line up.

15. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I oly really collect masterpeice leaders so so far i have prime and megs and ill pick up rodimus when he is released in the us or uk tbh i dont really like collecting a line that i cant get a complete cast of characters in it would be fine if alternators had continued and made grapple, trailbreaker, inferno, hoist, ironhide and ratchet and maybe we got an mp soundwave but seen as though they didnt. Not for me i think the classics lline has done a better job on updates anyway

16. grimster

grimster Well-Known Member

I have the hasbro version of Skywarp, and i am looking for a prime (anyone selling one?), but i wouldnt say i collect them specifically. They are too expensive for that.

17. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I'll add in something different:

I'm ok with the price, sometimes. I don't collect MPs, however, as I just don't have room for display pieces. I have a few shelves for toys I transform and run around my room with making 'pew!pew!' noises. MPs are not a toy to do that with.

But, hot diggedy damn, MP Skywarp is gorgeous.

18. Tarma

Tarma Metal Slug

Impressive though they are, I'm not into MP's at the moment. However, if Takara announced a MP Soundwave or MP Shockwave I think I would definitley spring for those... a MP Shockwave would be so awesome :D 

19. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that the Optimus Prime looks great with my Alternators and I got Grimlock just cause. I would like to get Rodimus, but the US version seems lame (to me) and the Takara version is very expensive...

20. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

And probably considered in scale with classics/g1 figures, considering the size of G1 Shockwave. Am I right?