Who here caught the movie reference?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jan 1, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I was talking about this with another board member. Remember when Optimus said "I might derail it´s objective, by removing it´s head"? Well , anyone here thought that was a joke referring to the movies and Facerippimus Prime?

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A face is one thing a head is another, either way it makes Optimus look like a bad-ass.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Maybe not a reference to the movies so much as the fan base's reactions to them. Seems likely considering who writes the show.

However it's also a turn of phrase well within Optimus' way of speaking, as well.

4. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I caught that right away too. Gave me a chuckle.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't remember the quote off the top of my head. What was the context of the statement? Was it about the hoard of zombies coming at him and Ratchet?

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TDidn' think of it that way, but the way prime described himself and the other transcribers was word for word from the movie when prime said "we are automous robotic organisms from the planet cybertron".i found that interesting ti say the least.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think that's stretching a bit.
    Plus: "I hold no illusions about engaging your army, Megatron. But I might derail it's objective, by removing it's head!" Is a lot more poetic then "Give me your face!"

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a classic war movie line if anything. Plenty of characters along the way have said "chop off the head of the beast" in the context of defeating an enemy army by defeating the general. I saw Prime as referencing that more than anything else.

Heck, every videogame that has ever featured a small force versus a huge army ever whether it references this or not is ultimately following this concept - you're defeating the evil empire's army by defeating the leader / general which inevitably forms a huge boss battle. Usually a final boss.

9. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Methinks you're reading a bit too much into it.

10. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Same.... I was like "WHAT REALLY?!".
    No Optimus Prime and Megatron are about to fight.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah..I almost spilled my drink when Prime said that :) 

It does fit right in with what Optimus Prime would say, but the choice of words and the instant sword drawing make me think it was very, very intentionally a tongue-in-cheek reference. But even if it wasn't meant to be..very funny coincidence.

Kinda weird how normally people are finding references in TF media that simply aren't there, but this time there's a good chance it was intentional - seeing who are working and supervising the show -, and there's rows of people saying it can't be! :lol  Hell is freezing over!!

Isn't that exactly why it works? Jokes or references don't have to be in (GIVE ME) your face for them to work. In fact, if it was intentional, the way it was handled makes it great - because it doesn't make Prime behave out of character for the sake of a joke. People who are not familiar with the movies or the amount of rage over Prime taking faces in the movies would simply not catch it, and not be distracted either.

It isn't the whole sentence Prime is speeching that makes it a reference. It's the part where he puts focus with his voice on 'by removing its head' while instantly drawing his sword. He could have used different words, and he could have not drawn a weapon. Just seems too big a coincidence to me...but then again, that's just me!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  12. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Not only do I see it as a vague connection, at best, but I really don't see what's so funny about it, either.

But that's just me.

13. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    no .I think it has a different meaning
    megatron controls all zombies so he's like a head.if you remove the head(kill megatron) ,zombies will die too.

14. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO, killing Megatron wouldn't deactivate the Zombie-trons, to me they would become "mindless beasts" like CJ when he was zombified, the zombie horde would lose all cohesion & literally destroy itself

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I honestly don't see how it's a movie reference. If he had mentioned taking someone's face off, then yes I would agree. Really, the only movie reference I got from Darkness Rising, was the part where Optimus was explaining who the Autobots are. The whole "Autonomous Robots from the planet Cybertron, or Autobots for short" bit.

16. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    that^

good point

still ,I think even with megatron around ,zombies are pretty much mindless. megatron just controls them.they do everything what megatron wants imo.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You guys are reading too much into that. It's actually a derivation of an old war tactic. I don't remember the exact thing or its source (otherwise I would have found it and posted it) but it goes something along the lines of:

The best way to fight a snake is to remove its head.

It's most often used in military discussions meaning one side will target the opposing sides command structure thus depriving the army (the body) from their ability to function as a whole (the head).

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I give up.

19. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    that's my point

20. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

Haha.

Prime, he so crazy.