Who has the best and worst reinvented / expanded characterisation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Sometimes a character in the IDW comics has very little in common with the way they were portrayed in the 80s. Sometimes its for the better, sometimes its for the worse. Sometimes a character still has their original characterisation but are now much deeper characters than they ever were before.

Cyclonus - completely different than he used to be but still a likeable character. I still like 80s evil Decepticon Cyclonus but I can accept IDW Cyclonus too as being a new take on the same character.

Whirl - his craziness was hinted at in his tech specs bio, but wasn't shown in the Marvel UK comics. He's now become an amazing unforgettable jerk who is highly entertaining to read just to see what he does or says next.

Swerve - the metalurgy aspect of his original characterisation is downplayed and rarely comes up, but he still shares the same aspect of being careless, self-absorbed and doesn't pay attention. another fun character to read about.

Tailgate - his "let my fellow mechanical beings go!" aspect of his original bio has never been bought up in the IDW comics, but he's still the naive Autobot he was, continually getting the wrong end of the stick and following behind others. I'm not a fan of his recent super-powered upgrade and more arrogant change of personality in which he pushed Cyclonus away for wanting to be closer to him. Maybe he'll go back to being the old Tailgate when he returns. He's not dead, he's just been written out of the comic for a while.

Star Saber - a boring one dimensional leader in Victory with no real flaws or personality now portrayed as a religious extremist. I'm looking forward to seeing him return, he deserves a larger role.

I've listed MTMTE characters here, but you don't have to.

• Like Like x 5
  2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I know people cry about Star Saber but I'm with you. He's much more interesting here.

I adore Cyclonus and I've always felt his IDW portrayal isn't really THAT much of a stretch from his G1 characterization. He's always been LOYAL with some stretch of nobility. There are examples that are escaping my brain. The loyalty is there, to Galvatron and the Decepticons, and there are times he's also been the voice of reason. Transfer the loyalty to Cybertron and remove any authority he had as a second in command.

I still enjoy hardass Prowl, even if he's not always handled the way he should be.

Impossible not to love Thundercracker. It's one of the few times his "questionable loyalty" to the Con cause has even been played up and it's awesome.

I love Tailgate until the aforementioned super powered jerk arc. Fuck that.

You know, it's funny, I can't *really* think of a "worse" take. I know others will disagree but for the most part characters are either an obvious expansion of previous characterization, or they're such blank slates it barely matters.

• Like Like x 4
  3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Pretty much everything idw has done that doesn't involve gijoe, mask, Rom, Micronauts, visionaries, Monopoly, pound puppies, or strawberry shortcake.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Prowl was a catdboard cutout in sunbow and marvel. So that's one

• Like Like x 4
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Megatron is the first that leaps to mind as an example of welcome expansion, as scattershot and inconsistent as his expanded characterization has been.

My other favorite might be Shockwave. Shockwave as Shockwave wasn't really "expanded", but his new backstory as a senator was super interesting.

In terms of worst, I'll vote Rodimus. In fact, I wouldn't call that expanded characterization, either. It's just as narrow now as it ever was during G1, it's just been shifted over to one side. I think what bothers me about it is that with so many other characters being fleshed out, MTMtE/LL Rodimus still being so one-note really sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Like Like x 5
  6. RNSrobot

I think Prowl's single best moment in Marvel G1 was in issue #75. "Great, that's the Ark - totalled." And then Grimlock verbally rips him a new one ("you think you leader - you not! You soldier! Now go out and fight!") and tosses him out the door to fight Unicron. Wheeljack: "Sigh. I think I preferred deactivation."

• Like Like x 2
  7. RNSrobot

I'd have to call that one of the bits that grew to really bother me during MTMTE. Season 1 gave Rodimus an ARC, with the endpoint being a maturation. You have his admission of guilt/responsibility during Tyrest (regarding Overlord, etc). YOu have the prose story where he redesigns his gaudy quarters/office into something more somber, out of respect for those who died to his irresponsibility. You have his dedication to the number on his hand, and his initial entry into season 2 wrestling with his ambition, goals, hopes, and frustrations.

Then Megatron comes on board and he loses every single bit of that characterization and growth.

• Like Like x 4
  8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Always in someone's corner

News Credits:
    Not happy with Rattrap's portrayal. All the others are fantastic though.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Prowl is nothing like his tech spec. It's like IDW based him on Repugnus's tech spec. Horrible, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol

11. RNSrobot

Mmm. I'll second that. The scene where he was gleefully torturing Windblade bothered the fuck out of me. I don't mind being a sleazy, kind of dickbag bot... siding with Starscream, all that? Fine. I can buy that version of Rattrap. But they took it a bit too far.

"Prowl will keep at a task for as long as it takes. Strives to find reason and logic in everything. A listener, not a talker. Has most sophisticated logic center of all Autobots. Able to analyze and advise on complex combat situations almost instantaneously. Fires wire-guided incendiary missiles and high-corrosive acid pellets. The unexpected can often scramble his circuits."

I can't tell if you're joking or not. IDW Prowl might not be strictly to your taste, but he is 100% a reasonable extrapolation of his toy tech spec. There are different ways a writer could take the above information, but...

• Like Like x 3
  12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's too far, but you're fine with Star Saber.

Rattrap is at least kind of an exaggerated version of his original personality. Even if you don't like it, you can see the connection from A to B. You can see how they got there, even if you don't agree with it. But Star Saber is just a name slap.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Star Saber is a knightly character who shares a name with Prima's sword, so making him a religious warrior is an entirely sensible and fitting change to make.
    Making him evil is, like, whatever. About half of all IDW characters have had their morality dial shifted.

Good God, man, do you really have to take EVERY opportunity to moan about the Hasbroverse even in threads that have nothing to do with it?

14. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Yup
    That said, I genuinely enjoyed the new characterisations we were getting out of idw. (And are still getting from lost light)
    But ever since revolution, the character focus in the Optimus Prime book seems a lot weaker. Especially when the big events come along.
    TAAO had amazing characterisation. But idw decided we can't have nice things anymore.
    Low sales, hasbroverse, the writer giving up, whatever the reason be, the loss of taao has some correlation to the "expanding" of the universe.

Idw's take was my favorite. And it still is, if only because of how weak other transformers fiction has been and will continue to be.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  15. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I also like what they did with Shockwave.
    Shockwave's entire arc is one of the greatest things the IDW G1 comics added to the franchise.
    To have him be an extravagant progressive senator who partly made Optimus what he later becomes, then his subversive activities give his political enemies the power to shadowplay him into the Shockwave we know who then joins the Decepticons and later plans the end of existence as a logical way to create the only utopia he sees as a possibility is an impressive achievement for Transformers fiction.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Others i like are Whirl, Starsaber, Deathsaurus, Overlord (magnificent villain), Getaway, Skids (i love Skids), Misfire, Spinister (although i prefer his Marvel version) , Krok, Crankcase...

17. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Really? Interpreting Prowl as a sleazy, lying, mind interfering, immoral bot is taking the information a bit too far IMO.

18. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    G1 Prowl barely even had a personality. Like, Furman had him as a stuffy bureaucrat, but there's a reason he wasn't used much - that's not very interesting unless taken to Hermes Conrad levels.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RNSrobot

... Why can't I buy this comic?

True on rattrap. I can see point a to point b. I suppose star saber is just so generic it doesn't faze me; rattrap is a much more three-dimensional and fully developed character...

Idw prowl is logic taken to an extreme in a different way from shockwave. He believes what's he is doing is for the greater good... And he's not necessarily wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Also, like, Rattrap did advocate torture in Chain of Command in the original BW series.