Who has is worse, Transformers fans or GI Joe fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rattrap Primal, May 27, 2012.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

OK, who has Hasbro messed with worse over the years, us Transformer fans or GI Joe fans?
    Transformers fans have endured:
    -The death of Optimus Prime
    -death/ reformatting of several mainstays (death of Ironhide, Prowl, Brawn, Ratchet, Windcharger, Wheeljack, Huffer, Starscream, reformatting of Skywarp, Megatron, Thundercracker, Kickback, Shrapnel, Bombshell)
    -Dinobots becoming comic relief
    -end of the US cartoon, while Japan had Headmaster, Masterforce, Victory, Zone, Battlestars, Return of Convoy
    -G2 "cartooon"
    -the end of the Marvel run
    -Pat Lee
    -for some fans, Beast Wars and Beast Machines
    -the Energon cartoon
    -Animated being canceled
    -Bayformers (though thanks to Bayformer, people know Transformers again)

GI Joe fans have endured
    -near death of Duke
    -end of the Sunbow cartoon
    -DIC animated series
    -end of the Marvel comic
    -cancellation of the 3 1/2 inch line
    -Sgt Savage
    -GI Joe Extreme
    -Sigma 6
    -Stephen "Black Leather/ CGI/ Accelorator Suits" Sommers
    -end of Renegades early
    -Retaliation pushed back to March 2013

I think GI Joe fans have it worse than we do

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    We all play with toys & get into fights with MLP fans over the internet.

... take your pick.

3. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

You're right... We both have it made.:cool: 

4. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Bayformers wasnt a screw up

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    It all depends on how one looks at it. Obviously the OP is of the opinion it was.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm still not used to this acronym. I was thinking, "Major League...P--what?"

And yeah to the thread-starter, Joe fans have had it WAY worse. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY worse.

The one bright spot for them, imo, is that I think their Collectors Club exclusive figures are about a billion times better than the TF Club's. They actually get figures that look like the characters they are supposed to be. What a revolutionary concept.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Yeah, they're getting the shaft pretty bad right now.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As mad as I got about the FE thing, when I stopped and thought about it, I realized Joe fans have been put through similar situations multiple times just within the last few years.

9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I say international TF fans, only cos it seems there are more of us than international GI Joe fans so more of us are getting the shaft with poor distribution and crazy expensive club memberships etc.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well see, GI Joe fans probably still get lumped as people who play with dolls, which I think is worse than being recognized as playing with toys. Along with that, Joes seem to have much less of an abundant mass retail access to shit when compared to what we have, at least from what I've seen. Hopefully someone who's active in both fandoms can weigh in, though.

Plus, the thread on Hisstank where a guy'd spend all day posting NSFW images has since been deleted or moved to a private area, while keeping ours (at least somewhat) safe for people of all ages has lead to its survival. +10 points to Transformers.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    There are international Joe fans, too, and they get much worse distribution (in many cases, none), and are hit with the same crazy club memberships and shipping costs as TF fans.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As a fan of both, you are on the mark.

I don't know about the doll thing, though, unless you mean the 12" series. I agree that any action figure with cloth clothing is a "doll" and thus a corner I am unwilling to turn. But the 3 3/4" GI Joe action figures are no more looked down on than the Marvel figures or Star Wars figures. I've bought both at retail and noticed no discernible difference in the level of contempt of the cashier.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Eh, I've been "that guy" for quite a while now, so there's really no turning back, regardless of the subject matter in my basket. :) 

14. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, G.I Joe is limited to 2 pegs full of pegwarming on-clearence Destro nowadays so G.I Joe toy collectors have it worse. Some areas are better than others though.

15. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    G.I.Joe fans have it far far worse. Mutliple toys, cartoons, cancelled. pushed back. poorly distributed.

Not the question that was asked.

...but that answer is correct.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

That is all, guise.

17. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say we're on equal footing.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think Transformers fans are worse than G.I. Joe fans. Oh, wait.

Look at the membership on Hisstank, though. A very large proportion of the guys there are either military or law enforcement, quite a few of whom are pretty darned ripped. I doubt anyone's going to call them sissies any time soon...

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Joe fans have it worse. Transformers has thrived for far longer in comparison and even in seemingly dry years, gets substantially more product and media tie ins than GI Joe, in addition, to far more retailer support.

Transformers was already doing alright before the movies but has exploded since then. GI joe has not exploded since ARAH.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    GI Joe fans. Because they're GI Joe fans. I kid! Please don't hit me with your little dolls. :p 

Which brand is the more successful? I mean which brand is likely to yield more from the effort put into it by Hasbro? Not everyone likes war toys. Some parents are totally against them. There's the terrorism angle too. The toyline asks kids and parents to buy toys of terrorists which some might see as kinda promoting terrorism, especially if those terrorists have cool vehicles and outfits and names. Some people would rather see terrorists as wearing rags and living in caves than driving shiny nuclear-powered death machines. It may also not help that GI Joe might seen as promoting the American military and as such may not travel well to other countries as a product. And although Transformers are war toys too there's plenty about them that kids and parents might feel are less war-y than GI Joe. It's not called SoldierBots or anything military for a start. Cars are fun and un-war-y. Robots can be helpful. They're not humans so there's that clear detachment from the real world. And all that transforming is good for developing a child's mind and manual dexterity.

GI Joe is war from the top to the bottom. I think the best you could hope to deflect from that if you bought it for a kid and didn't want them to play war games with it is to tell them they're all explorers or something and the varied vehicles and uniforms are for exploring and their weapons are for shooting any polar bears that try to eat them when they're exploring the snowy regions. And that 'GI Joe' is pronounced 'Guy Joe' and he's a man that runs an exploring company. And Cobra is pronounced Co-Brah and is a sister company run by Guy's brother. :p 

Anyway, to get back to my point (such as it is), Hasbro probably would love to put loads of effort and resources into GI Joe and have it be huge, but the whole human military-like basis of it makes that difficult. They have plans, sure, but often those get derailed when their attemps to make it bigger falter. They do as much with it as they probably think will keep it going and hope one day its time will come to be really big.

That's all probably faulty logic on my part but it's what springs first to my mind when I ask why Hasbro seems to try harder with Transformers than with Guy Joe.