Who had The Best Characters? G1 Autobots Or G1 Decepticons?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Oct 14, 2007.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Who do you think had the most badass characters from g1? The Autobots or Decepticons?

I have to admit that I think the best characters personality wise and alt mode wise were the Decepticreeps.

I mean look at it. The Decepticons had such badass characters as Soundwave and his cassettes, Starscream and the other seekers, Megs, and Devastator.

Besides Prime and the Dinobots, what characters did the Autobots have that were just plain fun to watch (and read in the comics) because of their personality that truly set them apart.......and that had really badass alt modes.

So I'd have to say my vote goes to the Decepticons on this one.

Please weigh in on this one and let everyone know what you think!! Thanks for posting!!

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yes, G1 Megs was sooo badass. He had all those badass plans like making a clone of Prime and then having him hold a race with the real Prime, or stealing the Empire State Building. ;) 

And Thundercracker and Skywarp were so badass, I don't even remember what they did in the cartoon at all! ;) 

3. Spearhead

Spearhead NEVER!

Hey, no fair, Skywarp transfixated the Autobots in the Autobot Run, now if THAT isn't a feat ;) 

4. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Hi,

I have to disagreed with you on this one...and not because I'm primarily an Autobot fan either.

The Autobots are at a tactical disadvantage on several fronts. The Cons can fight on air or ground - the Autobots almost exclusively are land-bound. Plus the Bots are hobbled by the fact that there are simply things they will not do, while the Cons theoretically have no restrictions on what they will allow in combat.

The Autobots still hold their own.

Gotta be tough to hold against an opponent with no scruples.

5. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Why G1 all the time?

6. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

why not? there's no request from the mods to balance out what people talk about.

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    A better question is - why G1 cartoon all the time?

And pre-Movie, too.

*waves and points to the various G1-verse comics*

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Generally, across the board in other things too, I prefer villains as they're more interesting to read, not constrained by the same standards of heroism that make heroes the good guys. Granted the cartoon Decepticons were only ever a group of Saturday morning cartoon villains, so there's not much there.

But in the comics, yeah, the comic Decepticons were a different story. Megatron hooking up to a Black Hole to take out the rogue computer A.U.N.T.I.E. in a brief alliance with the Autobots, then the second he realised they would win without this, planned to turn it on the Autobots. Straxus, constantly cheating death, cloning Megatron. A Shockwave who did more than simply sit on Cybertron taking orders and occasionally running off to hunt some Autobot allies half-heartedly.

Yep, the comic Decepticons were more interesting. Though I prefer some aspects of the comic as a whole, even though I also love the cartoon for being the original.

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I think my taste is also changing.... I never cared that much for the decepticons. Now, I like a lot of them. There are a lot of classic characters on both sides, but I really like Starscream, Megatron/Galvatron, Shockwave, Soundwave, Sixshot and most of the gang.

Don't get me wrong, but I still love the Autobots. They rock hard. They are the ones that kids would learn lessons from. The more I watch the G1 cartoon the more I realize it has a severe lean to their story. Without ever timing this, I'd just say they take up about 66 percent of the screen time. I guess they wanted kids to love the good guys more no matter what. I'll always love characters like Optimus, Ultra Magnus, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Blaster, Jazz, Jetfire, ect....

I hope the new cartoon and the movie sequel bring out more classic characters that kids will like and their Transformer loving parents will identify with. I'd also like to see some new characters be created.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I also loved the characters of the Decepticon side. They just seemed to have more personality both in the cartoon and the comic. G1 really was and is an amazing brand and I am very glad we have it. Can't wait to see what classics we get coming out next year!

11. illmatar

illmatar illmatar

Guys, I'm an art teacher and I can already tell you - my kids are drawing Transformers of many different spheres on their own already.

12. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    The decepticons, the darker they are, the better, it's more intriguing and it keeps you interested in the story.

13. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    And did Nevermore answer the question, Nope!

The Starscream vs Megatron dynamic was strong but I think I actually prefer the Autobot characters as a whole. Really distinct, fun characters include Prime, Grimlock, Jazz, Blaster, Tracks, Hotrod, Arcee, Kup, even a bot like Grapple had an interesting backstory.

14. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    Decepticons without a doubt.

15. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Lets see. Compairing the most iconic characters, which side has the most.

Autobots:
    1. Optimus Prime
    2. Bumblebee
    3. Grimlock
    4. Hotrod

Decepticons:
    1. Megatron
    2. Soundwave
    3. Starscream

I think the Autobots win by a small margin.

16. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    For me I'd have to say the Autobots. Most of the G1 Decetpticons had one dimensional oafish personalities to me.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    All of the upcoming Animated characters.

What?

18. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Let's compare the two sides:

AUTOBOTS:

- Prime - Selfless Leader
    - Bumblebee - Token Little Guy
    - Mirage - Blue-Blooded ponce
    - Tracks - Pouff
    - Huffer - Pessimist
    - Hound - Hippy
    - Cliffjumper - Short-tempered
    - Jetfire - Atheist
    - Ironhide - Trigger-happy
    - Ratchet - Pacifist
    - Red Alert - Paranoid
    - Prowl - Prick
    - Grimlock - Moron

DECEPTICONS

- Megatron - Power-obsessed
    - Starscream - Traitor
    - Skywarp - Trickster
    - Soundwave - All the personality of a stump
    - Rumble - Street punk
    - Dead End - Depressed
    - Swindle - Blackmailer
    - Dirge - Always dies

Autobots SEEM to have more, but they simply outnumber the Decepticons. I think they both have cool characters.

19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Feel free to start your own thread on whether the Cybertron/Energon/Armada/RiD/Bm/BW Autobots/Maximals or Decepticons/Predacons/Vehicons had the more dynamic character set. :) 

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Something to keep in mind is that the Autobots almost always outnumbered the Decepticons. When I was a kid (yes I rooted for the Decepticons) I always used to get mad that it seemed the Autobots always outnumbered the Decepticons. I remember yelling things at the tv like "Go get Devastator or those other jets!" Never seemed to work. :wink: