Who got the movie toys before the movie came out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I distinctly remember my TRU getting the movie toys before the '86 movie came out and wondering who all of these new characters were. Anybody else have any memories about seeing Magnus, Galvatron, Hot Rod and Rodimus for the first time? I remember thinking that Magnus was an upgraded version of Optimus Prime, and that Hot Rod was part of a gestalt combiner team with Rodimus being the torso component. I remember looking through the shelf for the other three limbs and having no luck finding them. :) 

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I totally remember this. Seeing guys Like Ultra Magnus, Galvatron, Rodimus and Hot Rod was surprising. I knew Hot Rod and Rodimus were connected in some way. (Pretty Obvious I know ) lol.
    But Wreak-Gar was a junkion, so I thought he was a Deception SUB Group. Man, those were the days. I loved not knowing. Made the movie that much more fun and exciting to watch.

Star Wars worked the same way. I remember finding Bid Forutuna before Return of the Jedi came out and wondered what his roll was going to be. Can’t believe how much I liked the figure before the movie and how much it changed after the movie.

Same thing For TF'S my Rodimus/Hot Rod Figures got much more love after I seen TFTM.

3. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Yeah I got some. I don't remember which ones. Defintaly got Hot Rod/Kup/Magnus before seeing the movie.

I got a Broadside the second time I saw the movie (which was the day after it opened, yes I went to see it two days in a row + 4 more times before it was gone)

To add to the character confusion.... the Magnus and Galvatron commercial had a Megatron voice over introducing Galvatron. :) 

4. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

I got Bonecrusher two months before the movie came out, and a bunch of other ones in the preceding... Oh. The OLD movie.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had Ultra Magnus, but had no clue who he was supposed to be until I saw the movie about 2 months later

6. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

That was a shock to me. Galvatron *is* Megatron!? Kinda of felt like Megatron ended up coming out on top in his age old war with Optimus.

7. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Cyclonus was the first movie toy i ever saw:

1) Why is this thing packed in the same assortment as the F15s?
    2) Why is the alt mode so unrealistc?
    3) I *hate* his head.

I'm less against the toy now, but at the time i loathed it, and that one toy represents the point at which my singular focus on Transformers broke, and i turned to M.A.S.K, G.I.Joe and Starcom.

8. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I felt the same a bit. The new Autobot cars (Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr) were so different from the year 1 and two cars. I really missed the real-life alt forms.

9. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Me too. Alt mode realism was a major selling point for me. Although i got Galvatron for Xmas, from my grandmother that year, and loved it.

10. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Wait, Blurr was a car? I had him 20 odd years ago and I thought he was a spaceship!

11. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

A hover-car I guess. Still waiting for those to come out. I remember thinking "Wow, 2005 is so far away! I can't wait to have exo-suits and hover cars!"

12. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Oh I thought the new figures were awsome, and a little bit disapointing at the same time. I loved what I believed before seeing the movie, that these guys were Cybertronian alt mode characters (except for Hot Rod -who I thought was maybe a high concept car). The disapointment came from the simple transformations and lack of detail I was use to in series 1&2.

A side note.....

I've started a weird little collection.... 86 movie characters MIB that came with the Glow-in-the-dark posters. So far I have 2.... Springer/Wreck Gar. Came close to getting an bad ass perfect Scourge, but someone else bought it before I could get to it. :( 

13. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I know that feeling watching old episodes of Buck Rodgers "the year 1987 and America launched the last of its deep space probes..."