Who feels the moive stole all our cool bots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Jul 22, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the Transformers moive (1,2, & 3); we've had alot of moive bots sporting G1 names.

But I look at my shelf and I look at my Mindwipe, Bludgeon, Skyhammer, and Powerglide. And I think to myself; "I like these guys. But you know what would have made them better? If they we're G1, or Armada, or Cybertron."

Mindwipe, Dead End, Brawn, Powerglide, Bludgeon. I think are the best examples: Because they filled a moive slot and I don't think any of these guys are going to get any love (if ever) for a LONG time.

These guys I would have much rather seen from there original sources
    Mindwipe/Bludgeon/Brawl/Scorponok/Jetstorm/Big Daddy/The Fallen/Sideswipe
    Nightbeat/Tankor/Springer/Brawn/Skids/Combining Devastator/Sideways
    Powerglide/Guzzle/Soundwave

Anyone with me? or at least see where i'm coming from? And i know there's 3rd party stuff coming. But..i kind of want hasbro to do it.

2. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    However I did like Stratosphere, Blackout, Hatchet, Crankcase, Dead End and Skyhammer. But that's a rather short list compared to three toy lines.

3. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The movies didn't steal anything from me. I watched them but didn't feel the need to own any of the toys because I hate the designs. So it's kind of like they don't exist in my TF world hehe. If the entire franchise became about bayformers I would move on to something else, but I don't think that will happen so there's plenty of other stuff for me to focus on.

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Not really. Armada toys were bricks (ugly ones too), G1 are meh, aside from the Combiners and Cybertron is a mixed bag at best.

5. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    I agree.
    [I'm not in the camp of "I 100% hate all the designs".]
    But over all. I like bayformers the least out of all the series.

But my point is. With this Powerglide out; will never see in G1 form.

6. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Shouldn't this be in the movie forum???....,...

But hey yes names used to waste somehow.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    You mention Big Daddy... sure, he was released in the Movie line, but he -was- a Cybertron toy, in a perfectly G1 color scheme.

You mention Sideswipe and Powerglide, who were both already given Universe (G1 update) releases before ROTF.

You mention several characters (Bludgeon, Powerglide, Guzzle) who are directly based on their G1 selves, just with some Movie detailing to help them fit in. If you can't accept them, you're too nitpicky.

You mention Jetstorm, Tankor, and Sideways, none of whom are G1, all of whose toys are easy to find and affordable on the aftermarket, and are modern enough that they dont necessarily need updates (well, maybe Sideways does), so I'm not sure where you're going there.

And then you've got guys whose movie designs, at least in my opinion, just look better than their G1 designs (Mindwipe, Skyhammer, Brawn).

So, long story short, me and this thread will have to agree to disagree

8. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    When you double post just delete one...

9. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    But in my defence

“Nitpicky”?...me.....nah.....well.....maybe.....a little bit......ya.....yes.....
    BUT!
    1.) It's not something that bugs me a GREAT deal. It was just a passing though.
    2.) This is a forum after all... :p  a place where 'pasting thoughts' and 'ill informed opinions' are welcome ;) 
    3.) JetStorm and Tankor and Sideways I know are not from G1. They're characters that I like from other series. And my main problem here is; the movie's toys most of the time just grabs a name and slap it on any guy. I would have liked to see ether the personality or background wedge into the bio some how some way, because the fiction is something I’m into.
    4.) Mindwipe, Skyhammer, and Brawl do look good. In fact they look great. That's why I have them. But do you think they would look even better if they we're there G1 selfs with the same level of engineering?
    5.) You didn't answer the question. :) < Do you think !overall! these names would have been better used towards another line?

10. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    Should it?
    Mr. Mod! Change it over?

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They only stole them if you think that the movie version is the same as the original, and if you think it's the last one you'll see.

12. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Irrelevant, Hasbro has to release toys with these names fairly frequently to ensure they retain the trademarks.

And from that angle, the movies don't take anything away, because Hasbro can, will and HAS used old names on new figures in every combination imaginable.

Brawn got a Legends G1 figure BEFORE his movie figure. Sideswipe is one Hasbro trots out at least once a year BEFORE the movies. Heck, last we got both a movie Dirge AND G1 Dirge about 8 months apart.

I think you are being too nitpicky about this entire situation. A name's use does NOT mean Hasbro will never get back to doing a figure more like the G1 (or other series) rendition. As is, we should be lucky the naming makes as much sense as it does (around 2001 and 2002, Hasbro slapped some odd names on toys just to secure the trademarks)

13. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    yeah thanks I was in my ipod and could not do it before!

14. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    That toy IS of G1 Powerglide. He's not even in the movie. Hasbro gave us a G1 styled Powerglide to scale with CHUG. Why are you complaining?

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

You can't POSSIBLY expect Hasbro to try and make every single damn character name retain some aspects of a kind of individual like Optimus Prime or Megatron can. Reinvention and name borrowing to create totally new characters with the same name is a GOOD THING. Let's take Tankor for example, who if I recall correctly was used as the name for the one triple-changer everybody knows is really Octane. Tankor was just a way to circumvent the inability to use such a generic term like "Octane". Another thing about having different characters with the same name is that the NEWEST version of a character may be better than the last. Take "Bulkhead" for example, the original Bulkhead (Enegon helicopter old guy, Springer Homage) is somewhat forgetable, but Animated Bulkhead and later his continuation in Prime Bulkhead serve the name so much better, and are more popular characters than E. Bulkhead ever was.

As for Sideways, he's a complicated one. Somehow or other, in some media form or another, ALL incarnations of Sideways are in fact one and the same entity. Which means the original Sideways from RID is in fact the same one that's in the movies. I don't know how this works in the least, but that's what the tfwiki (the good one, not the old one) says.

NO. Mindwipe turned into a giant bat, there's not exactly a whole lot you can do with something like that. Upgrading him to a stealth bomber/fighter was a smart move, plus he should be the least of your problems since he retained his ability to hypnotize legions of robots AND he has combination possibilities with Skystalker, which is better than none.

Skyhammer's G1 toy simply DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Do you know what the real alt. mode of G1 Skyhammer is? A CYBERTRONIAN CAR. Now, when I hear the name "Skyhammer", I do not think of a car. This name deserves better, and DOTM Skyhammer makes perfect sense as a large attack helicopter. The original depended on a TON of pretender-related exosuits to gain the flight ability, and Pretenders were a mistake in my book that should not be revisited. Bludgeon mercifully managed to retain the Samurai zombie look he's so famous for while also being able to turn into a tank, but I can't see how that could work for anybody else, such as G1 Skyhammer.

Technically, ALL Transformer series come from the same toyline. Steevy Maximus lays it out really nicely;

This man speaks the truth. Using the nameslaps of the early 2000's such as calling the mini-con combiner "Preceptor" really worked out in the end because then we were able to get a more correct Preceptor in the RtS line, hard as he was to find.

16. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

I love them. I absolutely love the Bayverse designs. They are my favorite designs in a looong long time, since Beast Wars.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I love Mindwipe, Bludgeon, and the others.

17. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

I think the most interesting thing is that you've managed to spell "movie" wrong FIVE TIMES in one post (counting your thread title and post title).

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    No.

19. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Beast

Well anyways, trying to get this thread back on topic.... the question posed in the op's first post doesn't really make too much sense. ROTF Mindwipe, Bludgeon, and Dead End (I know I left some out) are accurate G1 homages with a movie aesthetic twist added in. It doesn't mean that we won't get classics versions of movie bots either, since there have been a bunch of bots with both movie and classics versions, and count on seeing a few more added in too, Hasbro has to make money and they will reuse characters/molds as many times as they can.

20. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^