Who feels Cheated with classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WheelJacksWrkShp, Jul 27, 2008.

1. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

What I mean by the title is Classics wave 1 were all new molds and they were unique to their classification. Repaints were for classic characters of the same mold ie. BB & Cliffjumper. They were good quality and hot to collect.

Classics wave 2 have some similarities. Sunstreaker, Prowl, Octane, Powerglide & Onslot are all new molds. For that I am happy and having fun. I do wish Powerglide was more true to his original design and size like the Japanese version being offered overseas but I wont hold it against him because he is at least a new mold.

Now my big hang up is the repaints of other toy lines being classified as Classics. The unique and collectible nature of the line is tarnished with a sad attempt at profit. I was at Target today and I saw Classics Blaster & Heavy Load. My thought was that they cheeped out and decided to repaint the crap they already have. Not that the molds aren't good but they do not represent the Classic line with any sufficient reflection of G1 like the others do.

They made such a valiant effort the first go around I had expected better for the second. I would have been happy if they had left it at Prowl, Octane & Sunstreaker.

Well thats all I got it out now. Anyone else feel the same?

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    You realize repaints are mandatory right? They have to be done to offset the cost of every new mold they make by getting several uses out of it.
    Classics was never meant to be a long term line, Universe however IS, and you have to fill those spots with repaints. Hell, we weren't even supposed to get Voyagers, but Hasbro was kind enough to give some people the choice.
    DN

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I understand how you feel. I mean, I'm not too concerned about it, but there is a vague sense of disappointment with some of the new stuff. I don't know why we're getting Ultra Class figures at all (TFA doesn't seem to need them) when Voyagers would suit the characters they selected better. The Voyagers they selected seemed to be oddly cast as well... Quickmix from Cybertron is already a straight up G1 homage... Heavy Load, not so much. Jetfire into Treadbolt? Really? A purple Powerglide repaint?

Some of the 2 packs are interesting uses of remolds, but I'm not 100% sold on the whole batch. Of course we have the freedom to buy or not buy, but I think I would have been more excited about this anticipated line if they'd made some different choices.

Still... the advance footage of upcoming molds like Hound, Cyclonus and Inferno look pretty damn sweet, so it's not like the line is ruined or anything. :) 

zmog

4. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Nope, 'fraid not.

So, you're pissed that the repaints are there, and would be happier if they had just stopped the line at the four unique molds we got, rather than have the repaints, and continue to get new molds as well? I assume this means you don't want Sideswipe, Bluestreak or Smokescreen?

What, is this a 'Principle' thing? Because I never understood that.

Honestly, repaints aren't a bad thing. They give people a shot at getting a mold they might have liked, but not been able to get, or actually IMPROVE a mold by giving it a deco that works better for it. Hell, the Seekers are ALL REPAINTS.

Some repaints are naturally better than others. But seriously, if you don't want the repaint, don't buy it. Nothing says you need to get every toy that comes out in a line.

5. WheelJacksWrkShp

Oh I agree its not ruined and we do have the choice not to purchase but I guess my hopes of a Blaster that is truly a Classics product is doused and I wonder who else they are going to ruin. God I hope they do a Wheeljack and don't half ass it with a repaint of some of the other lines. I get repaints, I don't have a problem with Bluestreak or Sideswipe being created. I also look forward to Hound and Cyclonus. Not too sure about Inferno, I will have to see more photos of him. I guess the thing that made Classics so great to me was even with repaints at least they were new molds originally created for the line.

I would have even been fine with the line stopping when it did. One of those, quit while your ahead kinda thing.

Polenicus, I don't recall me saying I was pissed. Just feel cheated and disappointed. I don't mind repaints I just don't think the cross breading of one line to the other is very appealing.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

This FTW

Personally, I happen to think the Dropshot and Blades repaints, not to mention the Comic two pack stuff, are great versions of the character and more then welcomed into Classics. Repaints are good, repaints are great, some of my favorite figures are repaints. So why all the hate?

7. twichyy

twichyy Banned

News Credits:
    i love the classics line. the look pretty close to what they characters looked like in the cartoon. I'm thinking of just doing away with all my old, energon, cybertron, armada, r.i.d., alternator toys; and just focusing on these so i can have a nice, neat, clean, simple... collection of transformers. instead of an almost ungodly mess of transformers that are stuffed away in my drawers. and yes i would stay away from the cheap other series repaints that don't fit, since i already have a version of those older molds.

my only major disappointments is the shit heads at hasbro divided the seekers into 2 sets of exclusive and non exclusive toys. i swear i will never pay the crazy price other stupid people have paid for the convention ones... but of coarse stupid is as stupid does... so fans will continue to feed the greed machine that hasbro knows they can profit from. and even if they aren't the ones profiting directly from it... they are allowing it.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I really don't understand the OP. Is Hasbro forcing you to buy things at gunpoint?

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Just do what I do and don't count the repaints from other lines as Classics. Universe is a wider line than just the Classics, after all.

The only thing that I feel cheated on with the new Classics is Octane's shortpacking. Took me forever to find one because he's apparently shipped at 1 per case alongside two each of Prowl and Sunstreaker.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I understand where you're coming from but I don't think anything is ruined per se. I don't think anything is stopping them from releasing a new mold Blaster at some point down the line. I mean they just released Onslaught in both the Legends and Ultra Size Class within weeks of each other.

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Voyager price point was always intended to be a repaint line to keep the price point active. This is what allowed them to do ultras. Hasbro is only doing new molds for one price point of the other in new toylines. So we get new voyagers in animated in new ultras in universe. Also hasbro has focused on mostly obscure characters for their repaints except for blaster but you would never see a new tape deck mold of him anyways

12. twichyy

twichyy Banned

News Credits:
    i'm liking the new hound mold... but can someone explain why he comes with ravage?

13. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    dont really care about the cybertron repaints or powerglide but i am pretty happy with everything else. well my target looks like the day after christmas everyday. those stockers stink! its sunday afternoon and still no starwars animated! poeple were takenback with acidstom but i want one for the collection and two for customs

14. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    repaints are great for kitbashers!

15. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I"m not sure if it was part of Wave 1, but Classics 1.0 Devastator was a repaint of a previous line. It was not an original mold and was probably the only figure that I skipped out on.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only think that I'm non-pleased with Universe is the Galvatron mold...he seems too small. Will there be any difference between the Hasbro and Takara version?

17. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Don't care for them repainting Cybertron figures. I like the original molds though!

18. Optimus Sledge

If the other Henkei releases are anything to go by, Henkei Galvatron will feature chrome in inappropriate places. Chrome groin, maybe?

19. WheelJacksWrkShp

There are still cool boom boxes on the market today that they could have made an effort.

Yeah Devastator was a last ditch effort. I grabbed him only because none of the combiners showed up here from the other line. I would grab the Aerialbots and Combaticons too if I had the chance. However I don't display my Devestator with my other classics. It just doesn't fit.

Classics to me is just what the name suggests. What would we get if we took todays technology and re-design the G1 line? I bet the answers was "The collectors will shit and buy them up." For the most part they would be right, it just the line now feels like it lost its nostalgia. I will just to have to wait and see what comes out and pick and choose as i see fit. Still feel cheated though.

20. Optimus Sledge

Did you complain similarly about Classics Devastator and Soundwave?