Who else would've wanted this? I'm grateful

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by highball22, Jun 28, 2009.

1. highball22

highball22 Banned

What director do you guys think wants to direct this franchise? I've heard names that fans have wanted but has anyone thought about what big name director wants to direct a popular childrens toy line? (Originally, thats how it was viewed.) Heck, Bay originally was wary of doin' it himself!

I feel that some fans get the idea that this franchise is the creme de la creme choice for any director and I don't agree. How many big name guys would have been up to a movie built entirely on autonomous robots talkin' and fightin'? This was a BIG risk! Another director may not have been as meticulous as Bay was with these designs and sets. They could have stuck with hardcore G1 designs and come off as totally unrealistic for the general audience. Any number of things. It could have been one-and-done. It may be easy to reason now since its a success that anyone would want it; but prior to TF1, who else would have cared to risk their career? This was a huge operation to pull off.

Michael Bay's success with this seems to have opened doors for other shows of yesteryear to be made into films. Like'em or not, shows like Voltron, Thundercats, GI Joe, Robotech, etc. have been sought out for big screen adaptations; all ridining on the success of the Transformers. Had it panned, please believe execs wouldn't have given these shows much consideration at all. Even the new, yet crappy, Knight Rider owed its shot to the first movie.

Any thoughts?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Not saying Michael Bay is the perfect choice for Transformers, but I get seriously pissed when people keep yelling 'Christopher Nolan should direct Transformers!', because these people completely forget The Dark Knight is a very different movie from Transformers..and I'd definitely NOT want to see Transformers in the style of The Dark Knight.

Michael Bay is the master of sick action stuff..perfect for Transformers. On the other hand though, he knows jack shit about transferring the plot from script onto screen and keep it understandable. 'Emotion' is a forbidden word to him, it seems. And his juvenile humor is pretty bad.

I guess every good side has to come with a downside. :)  I dont know what other director would be up for the job, though.

I realise this post hasn't got much to do with your topic anymore, but to heck with it!! :lol 

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

This. I think more big-name directors are now probably willing to give the franchise a shot now that Michael Bay has made it such a success.

4. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Yes, and no..who will be able to top the action scenes Bay put in his movies? I'd gratefully have the action toned down a bit in favor of better plot and characterization, but I think studios will always see Transformers as robot vs. robot action flick, so in the end the action is probably way more important.

Who dares to challenge Michael Bay on this?

5. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

I wish two directors shooting the TF movie series. One of them is Michael Bay as handling the action stuff. Other one (name is not important) should handle the directing script to movie, dialoge and editing.

6. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I think it goes deeper, like when they (bay being the producer) revived the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise with two phenomenal horror movies. It opened the door to reusing older, successful franchises. It also had the challenge of not being another Inspector Gadget, Garfield, Dungeons & Dragons, or Scooby Doo. So Transformers doing well told Hasbro that it doesn't have to be a crappy throw back or a Uwe Boll crapfest. They immediately started thinking of doing G.I. Joe (which, as a franchise, has potential) and Magic: The Gathering (which has no potential, people don't buy Magic product because of it's weak fantasy lore).

I'm glad they got a successful sequel out of this before G.I. Joe potentially bombs or something like Magic: The Gathering becomes a dollar bin DVD.

Honestly, Voltron is scary territory. It could be done right, depending on which Voltron they use. If they use it, they really need to make it way less campy than the show and play up the human element, which may directly compete with the desire to see awesome robot/vehicle/lion battles.

Thundercats has potential, but only if we don't feel like we're watching guys run around in tights and cat make up. Robotech sounds like it'd be good though.

7. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Impossible!

Can you imagine the clash of egos? There's no way two major directors could work on something this big without it flying to pieces. I'm not a fan of Bay, but throwing in a second director would be far, far worse.

8. smkspy

Ridley Scott, another master of the action genre. Personally, I think he's an even better choice than Bay. He gave us the Sci-fi classic Blade Runner, the character development of Gladiator, and the military action of Black Hawk Down. I just can't hold to the tenet that only Michael Bay can direct Transformer action scenes or Nolan is now the only director for the Batman franchise.

Though I do agree about Bay needing a co-director or at the very least, someone to tell him that he has the sense of humor of a twelve-year old...oh wait.

9. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Micheal Bay was always an interesting commercial/video/2nd Unit director. He really just cant helm a movie in a cohesive narrative way so his movies sputter along from one action set piece to another. He can make a movie, but he just can't tell a story.

10. Digilaut

News Credits:
    I agree with you, but my point was Michael Bay sets the bar very high, visually, for action scenes. Like I said before, I'm willing to scale it down if the movie will be better in other parts, but what I mean is the studios will probably want to imitate the giant action stuff Bay delivers (and general movie viewing people will want it too because that's what they were looking for the first couple of times). If Bay makes an explosion, they will probably want a bigger explosion next time. Or maybe two.

People like Ridley Scott seem to be far more adept at combining great action with a better storytelling skill, but will the studios handing out the job care about that?..I like to believe in the future they will, but I fear they won't. :) 

11. mentat_emre

Heh, i know. I wish Michael Bay started his career with another director. Like Marc Caro- Jean-Pierre Jeunet did.

12. red4

red4 Banned

Michael Bay sets the bar high in terms of everything except camera usage. For all the expensive explosions and CG, he throws it all away by giving us the worst angles and shaky cams. Also, I think the level of story telling and character development was fine in TF1. So if Bay could tone down the erratic camera work, and go back to the story telling of TF1, then I say he should stick around - and I know he still wants to direct this franchise; not right away, but he doesn't want to be bumped out of commission.

13. Digilaut

News Credits:
    You know what would be funny? A new tv show where they put a Hollywood blockbuster director together with an arthouse movie director and have them make a movie together.

It would be like Dancing With The Stars, except no dancing, but moviemaking. And alot of fights between directors. Fistfights.

And I'm selecting Christian Bale as host.

14. smkspy

I'm really not so sure that Bay's style is the big draw anymore. I'm beginning to believe that, contrary to the critic's opinion, it is the Transformers that people want to see. Bay's style certainly adds to their appeal, but it isn't the main draw IMO. Look at The Island released in 2005. Same basic plot line (two people on the run who fall in love with each other). Same style of explosions and action. Same basic visual aesthetic. Yet, it was a HUGE bomb at the box office. So in 2005 people were becoming tired of Bay's style of directing and I think people tend to forget that.

Though yes, Bay sets the action bar high; I don't think it really is that hard of task to duplicate such scenes. It isn't like Bay is magician holding onto some well-guarded tricks of the trade. THough bigger explosions is just age-old hazard of sequels. Everything has to be bigger and better than before, which always seems to kill the third installment.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Micheal is okay, but I would like someone that had better character skills.

16. mentat_emre

This idea is FTW. 10 or 20 minutes films which made by two opposite side directors. Michael Bay with David Lynch :D 

17. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Christopher Nolan. If that guy could make Batman awesome again, I'm sure he could do the same for Transformers.

18. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I'd like to see J.J. Abrams team-up with Kutzman and Orci again for the third Transformers movie.

19. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Bay has done what no other director could have done with Transformers. I've never cared about who directed a movie as long as it was good. Tons of people here hated Bay before anything was even created. And no matter how good it turns out, they never get past "I hate Michael Bay". To assume that another director like the guys being thrown around on the boards could automatically make Transformers "better" is idiotic. Like they know these guys personally.
    Batman isn't Transformers.
    Iron Man isn't Transformers.
    Star Trek isn't Transformers.
    And if you look it's the same handful of guys that don't like this or that. I totally get Bay's methods and it speaks to me. It's not his fault if some of you can't keep up with him:tongue: 

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Right, so, James Cameron, the director of one of the most successful sequels of all time and the yardstick upon which action films tend to get measured would be unable to create an action packed, compelling film using the Transformer mythos.

If you believe that, I think Sydney Opera House is looking for a new owner.

Michael Bay is a McDonalds director, he creates samey but usually enjoyable fare. He does however seem just a little over-excitable and needs a strong Producer to rein him in, which leads me to believe that Speilberg was suffering from narcolepsy during RotF filming.

And as another reviewer who savaged the film said "Dubious source material is no excuse for a bad film". Sure, Transformers started life as a toyline. Big. Fucking. Deal. It has spawned several animated canon, a great deal of comic canon and now a film canon. The origin should not ever pin something permenantly in the brainless department.