Who else thinks RID was kind of strange?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ratchets Hatch, Jun 1, 2011.

1. AMG

AMG Old School

I enjoyed RiD a lot. It was a bit different and had the best shark bot of all time, Sky Byte!

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The best thing about RID was Scourge.

3. Proxima

Proxima Goddess of Darkness

Agreed! He was the whole reason I enjoyed the show as much as I did.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

RID does'nt hit you until it's over, then you're like damn!

It was being aired during 9/11, and alot of channels never fully aired it.
    It really deserves some fresh treatment.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It was as madcap as all fuck and I LOVED it from tip to tail.

It also had some interesting character variations, the best examples being Ultra Magnus and Scourge. Scourge went from almost literal moustache twirling Snidely Whiplash stupidity to being some unholy fusion of Optimus Prime, Galvatron and Starscream. This guy was menacing, had an awesome sword and played a long game:

Ultra Magnus was this time interpreted not as the tireless, reliable follower but a hot headed and passionate fighter who wanted to lead to the point where he was willing to kill Optimus Prime (his brother) to do so; he was a stone cold badass:
    YouTube - ‪RID: Ultra Magnus (The Most Powerful Autobot In The Universe)‬‏

It also had Rail Racer, an Autobot combiner who transformed into a trio of bullet trains; he is awesome.
    YouTube - ‪RiD: Rail Racer (First Time)‬‏

And last but not least, RiD's greatest contribution to the world.......Sky-Byte. This guy was both a fellow who fancied himself a warrior poet but was really a bit of a big softie who read Dickens, composed (really bad) Haiku and in the end wasn't all that bad. Also after the episode 'Sky-Byte Saves the Day!', all the children of Earth loved and followed him asking for his autograph which he took in his stride. An endless source of comedy and smiles who is well worth his place in the Transformers pantheon.

YouTube - ‪RID: Sky-Byte (Inspired To Write A New Haiku)‬‏

All in all, the show is a great way to introduce young children to Transformers due to the lack of anything really dark or threatening.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I liked that Ultra Magnus was batshit insane.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I really think the only way such a bombastic character as RiD Ultra Magnus would have been made cooler would involve being voiced by Brian Blessed. I really loved him and I think his interpretation could do with being revived.

8. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Black Convoy/Scourge and Gelshark/Sky-Byte's rivalry was one of the best things in the show! :lol 

I was hooked on Car Robots when this site was streaming eps. back in 2000 (Ah, memories...), so I had already been endeared to the show when it was re-dubbed into RiD. But I can appreciate that for people approaching the show for the first time now, or even when they first saw it in its RiD form, a lot of the show's elements can seem quite odd and foreign. It was afterall a Japanese anime originally and I think one needs to bear that in mind as one watches the show and tries to comprehend it. It was on the whole a fun, light-hearted and crazy cartoon, so one shouldn't try to take it too seriously. Just enjoy the show for its wackiness and adventure.

I think the series had two things going for it at the time it came out:
    -the return of the Autobots and vehicular TFs after the Beast era
    -a return to traditional cel-shaded animation (in gorgeous, flashy anime style!).

I gotta say I do wish CR/RiD had lasted a bit longer than the short time it got. I would have liked to see some more fiction for it after the show ended, maybe a comic book series? When Dreamwave ran a vote between a BW or a RiD comic mini-series, I voted for the latter! Too bad there was never any further attempt to pursue a RiD comic series after that. Oh Black Convoy-sama, how I miss thee!

9. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I always thought 'Nemesis Prime' would have been a more fitting name for Scourge. Would've been closer to his original Japanese name of 'Black Convoy'. I'd really like to see his character revived again someday.

10. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I wasn't really into it when it was on.

11. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I still have them on my old computer. I can't believe I actually watched them. They are so small! Oh how times have changed.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    RiD was the series that got me hardcore into Transformers. Looking back on it though, it
    WAS very weird. Sideburn's childhood memory of being a tricycle sticks out the most.

13. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Watched only a fraction of the show, but I can conclude that it is sort of strange yet unique in a way. I'm only partially disturbed when I found that ANOTHER bruticus mould is used in it (ruination). I was like, GreaTT,another repaint,that's what we ALL want. The Autobots came up with a 3-bot combiner, why shouldn't the Decepticons follow suit & make a fresh gestalt? I'm looking at you Hasbro!

14. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I doubt Hasbro had anything to do with it. The stuff from Transformers anime usually land on Takara's side.

15. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

It's a team effort, I have to say. so HasTak it is

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Greatly enjoyed RID. I'd get up early each morning to tape it off the telly and cut out the adverts. Typically, I'd just got around to making nice TF VHS covers for the tapes when the DVDs for it came out.

The show itself was a little odd, yes, but it certainly had a lot of cool stuff going on. A few crap episodes, but mostly good entertainment. And it was great to have lots of vehicle alts back in TF.

RID was the last toyline I could properly afford to go out and buy everything that was released over here in one go. Happy days.

I've not watched the series for a couple of years now so it's due time for breaking the discs out for a marathon soon.

17. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

RiD was awesome! I love that it didn't take itself too seriously. The weirdness was the best part.

18. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

I don't like RiD much. It's strange because it's too childish. I was often feels bored when watched it. Maybe Car Robots is better, but there is still no complete English subs for it. But anyway, RiD\Car Robors universe is too short and simple.

19. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Well sort of odd maybe, I didn't think much about that I just find it extremly boring and I cant stand Sideburns.
    It's usually awesome when Sky-byte is on the screen though, I love him.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    There was some degree of strangeness to it, but it was the great kind of strange.