Who else is fed up with Nintendo's lack of online?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Feb 13, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So I just got a Wii, and I am already feeling the frustration. It's fun, its great, but seriously how could they not atleast have Wii Sports and Wii Play online? What the hell is the point of trading Miis, if you can't even play each other online?

When the non-gamer, like my sister, automatically assumes that Wii Sports and Wii Play can be played online, then you know Nintendo dropped the ball and are out of touch with the general public regarding online play.

According to Wikipedia only 7 titles are scheduled to be online this year. And few of them really seem like engaging online play.

Xbox has been doing this for years, why is it so difficult for Nintendo?

2. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Precisely why my 360 gets more play than my wii.... online experience.

3. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I was ticked when I found out that wii sports didnt have online play, but seeing as how I never had online for my PS2 either, I soon got over it, I'd have liked i, but it wont make me go insane or anything.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Never been a huge fan of online play (too many idiots, cheaters, and stupid kids spoil it), but I certainly wouldn't mind having the option on certain games.

I agree, Nintendo really needs to get on this. Perhaps they are trying to keep their network costs down?

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a weird Nintendo thing. :/ Hoping they take fuller advantage of the Wii's WiFi in future.

6. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm thinking it's to 'protect the children' from people online. I know I cannot go into a halo match without finding someone spouting something offensive.

I do agree, though, that Nintendo needs to really ramp up their online play. I would love to be able to play people online in Raving Rabbids or Wii Sports.

Actually, online play is one of the big reasons I'm getting a 360. Several of my friends have one and I'd enjoy playing a game with them every now and then online.

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It's almost certainly "to protect the children." I mean, on the online games for the DS that I've played (Tetris & Mario Kart) you haven't any way to communicate with your opponents at all. I think that's intentional - prevent child predators from talking to kids.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I've never been a huge online gamer either, but Wii Sports is screaming for it. I got a buddy in Boston, and two friends about 45 minutes away from me in completely opposite directions, they all have a Wii, and we trade friggen Miis, wowey!

My parents who know next to nothing about computers have broadband and a wireless router. Nintendo is underestimating the public. Had Wii Sports been online, my parents would have one. There incentive? To play bowling and golf with their kids. We are all busy throughout the week, and this would be one way to enjoy each other's company and keep connected in between visits.

Just a huge blunder I feel.

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with some sentiments here.

I'm not big on online gaming, but I would like it included for some games...it would just be nice to have that option.

It seems that it SHOULD be there for Wii Sports. It feels a bit lacking to be able to trade Mii's but you can't play each other in bowling or tennis. It is really disappointing.

10. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brawl will be online.

And that will own.

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I feel old for not even thinking about online play. I am so used to old school games that it never even entered my mind, but now that everyone mentioned it, that would be perfect for Wii Sports. That certainly would make it more fun to play if you can play your buddy in another state, or even across town.

I am sure that they will come around soon, otherwise their sales will drop off and that would obviously be bad. Oh well, either way I can't play my Wii right now since I had to send it in for repairs.

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, online gaming isn't important to me. It's fun once in a while, but I prefer the traditional way of playing a game. I'm a big fan of the Ratchet & Clank games for the PS2. Peace out.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Nintendo could easily 'protect the children' by never enabling any voice chat.

I wonder exactly what Nintendo's overall online plan is.
    I certainly don't expect to see it be something like Live, but there has to be grander plans down the road.

14. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

*raises hand* *Then points to Super Smash Bros. Online*

15. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Which still has a TBA tag attached to it on every gaming site. And last I heard, it only uses the classic controller. So that hardly gives us the true Wii online experience, like Wii Sports would.

16. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not the sort to care about online play either. It's cool, but I can still enjoy a game without it.

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm with most, I play my online games on my PC. My console is for when I want to shut out the rest of the world and just veg.

That said, Nintendo certainly dropped the ball in the Online department. The Wii's already WiFi ready. It's got a constant net connection going (if you have that setting on). It's got E-Mail, the Wii Shop channel, etc. Why are the online games such an afterthought?

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    take it up with third party developers. they can do any kind of online games on the Wii that they want.

19. gil

gil Godmaster

I'm not into online gaming at all. Maybe a few races on Mario Kart, but I didn't really care for it to much. The only Real Online experience I had was World of Warcraft, which I played for about two weeks (all together 4 days, or about 6hours).

If I get a Wii, it won't be for it's online ability. I'm actually not "wanting" an Xbox360 for the fact that most of it's better games are built to be online, which I don't want.

20. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Nintendo always does this it seems, they take forever then when they finally do something tend to knock it out of the park. Or at least that's my opnion

As for the online thing, aside from a couple of people I know I have no interest in online play. Most of the people I wanna play with I see all the time, and I always enjoyed playing with a group of people cause the smack talk and such that happens. Even with voice chat it's still not the same...in some cases the intelligence drops with voice chat.

So for me anyway Nintendo can take there time with online as when it comes unless something really catch my eye, I have no interest in playing