Who else has opened G1 TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jhaynes, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Jhaynes

Jhaynes Well-Known Member

I starting collecting again in 1997 and stupidly opened a MISB Takara Scourge, I've read about people opening up the Darkwing double pack, Minelba and the Collector on You Tube said he opened Fort Max and Black Zarak. He did this years back like me, but for the prices they go for now it seems crazy.
    Has anyone else freed G1 Transformers in the 90's or later?

2. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I freed all of mine back in the 80s

3. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only some micromasters that are easily available everywhere. I bought all my G1 stuff loose on purpose. If I got a sealed one, I'd leave it sealed. I understand wanting a minty figure, but sealed pieces are pretty damn rare these days, I don't want to see the number drop.

4. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I haven't (only because I haven't bought any MISB G1 figures), but my friend opened a G1 Headmaster Fangry on camera and cackled the whole time. It was pretty darn epic.

5. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Exactly what I did, though I have opened quite a few G2 & Beast Wars examples from their little prisons.

I always tell myself, "they're toys, not ornaments & are meant to be opened" as I cripple their value with a pair of scissors! :tongue: 

6. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Yep. Opened some MISB Insecticon sets. Was very enjoyable :D 

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I personally think it is downright stupid to open a MISB G1 toy of ANY figure. You are basically just burning $$ really but it's someone's $$ they can be stupid with it if they want to.

Freed them from their plastic prisons? LOL it's a frickin toy!!!!

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

9. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

Back in 2000-2001, a local hobby shop got in sealed, boxed Victory Leo and Star Saber. It was the separate boxed releases, and I got there like the day after they put them on the shelf. The store did layaway at that point, and if I remember right they wanted $100 apiece for the figures. I had a pretty good rapport with the guy who ran their toy section, and he was drooling over them but said he'd never buy them himself. I put them in layaway, paid $20 a week on them until I paid them off.

When I came in that last day to pay them off, he bagged them up and handed them to me...I took them back out of the bag, looked at them for a couple of minutes with him, then pulled my pocket knife out of my pocket and sliced the tape on 'em. He literally almost shat himself, asking me what I was doing, and I just asked him if he hadn't been itching to see what they're like, combine 'em, etc. We spent an hour or so messing with them there on the counter before I packed 'em back up and went home. I've never applied the stickers to either of them, and (at the moment) I've even got them displayed in the boxes rather than sitting out, but I've displayed them separately and in combined mode in the past, and I wouldn't trade the memory of opening them in order to keep them sealed.

Roughly 11 years later they're still mint, still complete, and still have unapplied stickers...so I feel like I got my money's worth. :) 

10. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    And toys usually require a little imagination, that's all people are using. :) 

11. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The closest I've ever come was opening a 14 year old Star Wars toy...and it felt awesome :D 

12. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Another reason why reissues kick ass. All the pleasure of opening a MISB toy, and none of the guilt!

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
  14. It Is Him

It Is Him Well-Known Member

15. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

My MISB g1 stuff will stay that way as long as they're in my collection. I kind of like feeling the temptation to open them from time to time.. resisting the urge to open them is one that I enjoy my collection. I guess I like to be teased by the idea of having childhood toys laying around and waiting to be opened.

16. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Didn't one of the boys here broke the seal for his C-311 Grand Maximus lately? :p 

17. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I haven't, but I have a MO(beat-up)SC K-Mart Legends Jazz that I plan on opening if I ever get a good condition shell with gun for it.

18. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    If I bought a MISB one of the original G1 Transformers I would not open it but I usually just buy MIB.

Any new toys I usually buy 2 of the cool ones. Takara MP's I leave in the box MISB, Hasbro I open up.

New toys I generally open as I doubt they will be worth all that much

19. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

haha this is EXACTLY how I collect. Takara keep MISB, open Hasbro, buy MIB G1 instead of MISB and open all new stuff.

20. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Back in 2000, I ran into the "I'm out of space" situation where I busted down a bunch of toys. The only G1 I opened was a Micromaster team. I shouldn't have done it, as it was an import version! Well even if it was a US one it shouldn't matter. I won't ever do that again.