Who Else Feels Like The 1986 Movie And Seasons 3 & 4 Were Your Favorite Part Of G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I'm kinda afraid to admit this. I'll probably get flamed because it isn't the popular sentiment around these parts. But, the 1986 Movie and the TV show right after it (seasons 3 & 4) were my favorite part of the G1 cartoon.

The 1986 movie and the cartoon that followed was so much more broad. We got to see things outside of planet earth. The characters were so much more diverse and were painted with a broader brush as well.

The first couple of seasons of the G1 cartoon were the same old thing every week. The Transformers were stuck on earth basically the whole time. Therefore their world wasn't very diverse and the characters weren't as deep. It felt like "Transformers in a box" Or "Transformers in a fishbowl" that's how small their world seemed.

Now don't get me wrong. I still love and enjoyed season 2. That season was when the writers and animators finally "got it"

But, I like the 1986 movie and the cartoon afterwards even better. Is that wrong? Who else out there feels the same?

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

It's your opinion so it's not wrong at all. The movie is still my favorite part of G1 and I love season 3 being a huge Rodimus Prime fan. I like how the TFs got beyond Earth and we had more alien based stories with TFs being more a part of the intergalatic community and I liked the futuristic aspect of what people thought 2005 was going to look like back in 1986.

3. Fortress_Maximus

Fortress_Maximus fortuna audaces iuvat

I personally loved G1 seasons 1 & 2, less for 3 & 4 with the exception of the ending involving Prime. I really enjoyed the Headmasters series especially Fortress Maximus, but hated wheelie and daniel. And of course I loved the animated movie, but considerably less than enthused with the live action b/c of too much focus on the humans and failure to develop the actual stars the Transformers themselves.

4. Zipdisk

Zipdisk Seven Color Carrot

If the entirety of Season 3 had been animated like 'Call of the Primitives' it would have been the best Season period. Sadly, it wasn't. As for Season 4, I'll take the Japanese Seasons instead, Headmasters might have been inconsistent, but I liked the explanation for the Headmasters there better and Masterforce was just amazing as far as internal consistency and plot.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I pretty much totally disagree with you. Yes, the action spread across more space, but focused on fewer, duller characters, resulting in less diversity. "This week on Transformers Season 3, Rodimus Prime bitches about being leader. Again. And I dare say Galvatron will shoot one of his own troops."

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Before Rhino released the box sets, my most vivid memories of G1 were from season 3. Though after watching Season 3, I vastly prefer Seasons 1 & 2.

7. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Eh I disagree, but that's cool. I thought the the movie was the best along with most of season two and a spattering of episodes from season 1 and 2.

It's all good though. Every Transformers show/movie has it's good and bad moments.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    This.

I'm not a fan of season 4, though, as it downgraded Rodimus Prime and threw in too many new characters in too short of a span of time.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This. The only G1 shows I consider worth watching are the '86 movie and the Japanese series that followed it (Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory).

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 100% with you on this.
    I was a fan before the movie, but after that it got even better. Loved season 3 and 4!

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I liked the movie, but I wasn't a huge fan of season 3, mostly because of the bad animation in spots, hit and miss concepts and occasionally dreadful voice acting. Though I really liked the character designs, digged pretty much all the new S3 characters (specifically Cyclonus and Octane) and thought the majority of S3 concepts and plots were great, if the execution was not perfect.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    <---- Can you guess what I think about the movie and season 3 based on my user name?

13. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

Ebay:
    Due to memory loss I only remember More than meets the eye and the 86 movie. I've seen it over 3000 times based on my math and have it memorized. When I need to kill time at work (security...) I will reinact scenes to my self or for the entertainment of others.
    I watched call of the primitives again recently and loved that. HOPEFULLY My memory of the other eps will come back one day.

14. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

i really liked all about g1. I love all season 1,2 the move and season 3. i had a dislike though for the headmasters and targetmasters for the series.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm not with the OP on the sentiment. I think Seasons 1 and 2 had better single episode stories and better characterization.

I won't lie though, a few episodes in Season 3 were beautifully animated, Call of the Primitives for example. And those first few seasons can't exactly touch that.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Where's my shotgun? There be zombies rising...

17. Crown_Athlete

Crown_Athlete Well-Known Member

Season 3 and The Headmasters are my favorite. I would take the '86 movie over the live action movie every time.

18. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Season 3 better than the other two seasons (Season 2 would come a close second seeing I enjoyed some of the story telling there), I normally go for story over animation and some of the stories were strong enough to move above the usually subpar animation. Besides if it weren't for Season 3 I wouldn't have my favourite character. ;) 

I'm not particularly fond of Season 4 seeing it was rushed and it didn't really draw me in and I loved the movie once but after the overexposure it got on YouTube I eventually got very sick of hearing about it.

19. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

I loved all of G1. Even the Rebirth, especially the Rebirth.

But I prefered seasons 3, 4, and the following Japanese G1 series (Headmasters, Victory, Masterforce).

I loved the slightly more serious storylines (Decepticons dying w/out Energon, Galavtron's return, Prime's return, Zombie Prime, etc).

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I was gonna reply to this thread, but then I saw that I already did last year.

aaarrrggghhhhh, brains!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.