Who did the better job? ILM or Digital Domain?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Anyone notice the difference between each scene of CGI. For example the forest battle was really well done but the final battle with The Fallen seemed a bit unfinished. It looked a little too animated. You could tell which company did which scene. ILM did pretty much all of the Shanghai scene but DD covered the entire Egypt battle. Anyone here notice the quality of each scene?

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I only saw the film once, so I'd have to see it again to be sure.

but I will say that the forest battle did stand out in my mind as a pretty impressive looking scene.

3. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

the factory forest fight saved the entire movie for me...

4. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

Yeah the forest fight scene saved the movie. All the CGI was good apart from the debris falling down the side of the Pyramid and the final battle seemed a little rushed.

5. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

i thought it all looked pretty photorealistic.

the animation was bad in a few parts though, especially inthe forest scene, where prime was beating on starscream, it looked totally retarded in that one shot.

skids and mudflap in the desert when they were all dirty was AMAZING, when skids was crying that mudflap got all eatin up, that's a thing of beauty.

6. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

I didnt even know they used another company

7. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I noticed no difference in the three times I've watched the film so far, to the point I didn't even know it was two companies.

8. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

In my mind, you're comparing awesome visual effects to barely less awesome visual effects. I didn't notice a problem with any of the scenes. If you want crappy, unfinished CGI, go watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine. There were a hell of a lot scenes where I was very much aware I was looking at a computer generated image.

9. KingStarscream9

KingStarscream9 Destroy

ILM did almost all robots and most of other things. "DD covered the entire Egypt battle"-are you sure about that? I have red that DD did kichen robot ,alice and wheliee scenes.My opinion would be that ILM did much better work,than DD.

10. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I agree with KingStarscream. I remember an article that said Digital Domain only handled the kitchen robots, Alice, and Wheelie. I don't think they took care of the Final Egypt Battle.

I can't really say I noticed a difference between the quality of the two big battles...I think Michael Bay made a judgement call. Did he want to spend the budget on a badass fight scene between Optimus Prime and three Decepticons, or did he want to spend the budget on a fight scene between a powered up Optimus vs the Fallen/Megatron? I think he made the right call and gave the fans what they wanted. In my opinion, if Michael Bay had shortened the forest fight and lengthened the final battle, fans would have complained. Optimus went out like a champion and came back (albeit a bit rushed), but he's gonna be in the sequel anyway.

11. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Bathroom scene?

12. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Yep.

I include the Xavier cameo and the fight atop the nuclear smokestack as two more scenes where I clearly recognized the special effects.

13. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Yes. YEESSS!! I agree completely!

The only CGI shot that looked "dodgy" in my opinion was the shot of the Cube sliver falling through the floors in Sam's house.

14. Tyrannosaur

I wish I had a DVD to make a comparison with some scenes (Though Youtube would pull it down in a heartbeat because they're ASSHOLES). I found the animation of Prime looked different in the final battle with The Fallen alot different than the Forest Battle. It was well done but some parts of that last fight seemed a bit rushed.

As disfigured as their faces look, the CGI work for The Twins was really well done. I also noticed a difference in the animation when they confronted Leo. It looked a bit "Choppy".

Devastator in my opinion was the most well done. Especially the complexity of the model it was like what 100,000+ polygons they had to animate? Damn if that isn't Oscar material I don't know what is. I really hope it doesn't get screwed like last time with "The Golden Compost".

15. Black Sideswipe

Black Sideswipe TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm..it's funny people are mentioning the forest scene as having the best CGI, because the only thing I really remember looking "off" is Optimus knocking down the trees in that scene. The trees looked pretty fake iirc.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While both did amazing jobs, I'd have to give DD some extra-props, they did all the work on Wheelie and to be honest his animation was extremely smooth, he could emote, he had quirky movements, he felt truly alive, something that is very hard to do when your character is supposed to interact on such high levels with the human parts.

17. Tyrannosaur

True that Wheelie looked extremely convincing.

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

In the forest scene, on a regular screen, the "grab a tree and smackdown" shot looked ridiculous, like there was no weight to the bots or the tree. But on the IMAX screen, it looked near perfect. Have to wonder if scaling it down didn't impact it somehow? Or maybe they used a bad render for the standard theater print?

Outside of that, most of the movie looked pretty realistic. That was the only spot where I felt pulled out of the reality of it.

19. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

there were some things that were noticeably different.
    skids saying mean robots suck was amazing
    though i think the bumblebee v. skipjack fight was lacking.

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    That isn't true at all.