Who designs the toys? Hasbro or Takara?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheCuddlyDevil, Jul 30, 2008.

1. TheCuddlyDevil

TheCuddlyDevil Well-Known Member

I'm just curious. Do they both own the copy-right on the thing? Is it a joint? I mean, Diaclone is Japanese, but weren't the G1 toys developed by Americans? What about now?

I was mostly confused when I heard that Classics were coming out before Henkei, but didn't Binaltech get released before Alternators?

Someone give me the low-down.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Both. Hasbro does most of the concept work and Takara the engineering. They jointly own the copyrights. TF's are a co-production and always have been.

3. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Well most of Gen1 was already designed by Takara as toys.(Diaclone,Microchange,ETC)

After the initial 84-85 line then it became a co-production.

4. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Well stuff like the Victory, Beast Wars II and Neo, and Car Robot were all done by takara.(the original molds in those lines, that it)

For most of the other stuff was a joint production, Hasbro making most of the concepts and takara making those concepts work in toy form.

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I think the amount of work done on each side varies throughout the different lines.

As far as I'm aware, for the past few lines, Hasbro does the character designs, whilst Takara does the engineering.

Takara does it's own stuff like the Masterpiece line, but then Hasbro has had some input in to that as well, I believe, particularly the Optimus.

I guess it just depends on what they fancy doing, and where the skills lie to realise that.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, seems like a joint production IMO but it is a GOOD time to be a TF fan! :)