Who currently has the best universe?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by 03Mach1, Oct 19, 2005.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Many moons ago, I was a DC guy. Then in the early 90's, Image came along and swept me away. Now most recently, DC has come back with a thunder and produced some extremely high quality books. I spend more $$ a month on DC than anything else. So which universe do you fancy?

2. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

I think all the universes have about the same potential for coolness, but currently it seems like Marvel is attracting more of the A-list talent and, as a result, has more interesting stuff going on.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Make mine Marvel. Sorry, but Spider-Man > than everyone else.

4. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I used to like Marvel, but I'm more into DC now. I think the DC characters have a more "classic" feel and I kind of like that. For me when I think "superhero", I think DC. I'll probably pick up some Marvel books again one day. I have been having an urge to get back into X-men(thanks in no small part to a thread here the other day about "pick your perfect X-team" or something like that).

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

For me, it always has been and always will be Marvel. I like DC stuff too, but when it comes down to it, I gots to have me some mutants.

6. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

DC has always been a little too campy for me. I am pretty much a marvel guy, but even a lot of there stuff isnt of the highest quality now. I cant read a lot of stuff like uncanny that used I to enjoy because the stories are just too convoluted. I think Marvel's biggest issue has been continuity dumping. Anytime there is a writer change you basically get a reboot.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    A couple months ago, I'd have said Marvel. But right now the whole company is really annoying me. Wolverine is in almost every damn book, inter-title continuity is almost nonexistent, and House of M is a horrible, poorly-paced cheap excuse to hit the reset button on the mutant population growth. Some of the stuff coming down the line looks decent, but overall I'm really not enjoying Marvel very much right now.

DC, however, is my new darling. I'm loving Infinite Crisis, and it's great to actually see comic books in the same universe acknowledging what's happening other titles. DC is just more fun for me these days. Villains United and JSA Classified are the most fun I've had reading comics since I came back to them about a year ago.

Besides, Marvel doesn't have Power Girl. :p 

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say neither of the big two universes are that great. While the majority of the stories I enjoyed the most are DC, they tend to be Elseworlds or stuff like Watchmen that don't fall into the 'true' universe.

Problems I have with each universe:

DC - The royally screwed up continuity is the main issue I have with them. The multiverse was confusing as hell and, while the first Crisis simplified things, various writers managed to screw up the continuity again almost immediately. They tried to fix it with Zero Hour and that did virtually nothing. Now, Infinite Crisis looks to be making things even more confusing for awhile. It's sad that this is DCs third reboot in the space of 20 years and, this time two years from now, DC continuity will probably be screwed up again. Besides the continuity, I haven't been impressed with some of the retcons, particularly Identity Crisis, "Hal Jordan was really just possessed" and the manipulations of Superboy's origin.

Marvel - Two main problems: First, their main characters are over-exposed, especially Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men. Seems it's impossible to have a major storyline in the Marvel Universe go by without requiring Spidey or Logan to be the central characters. Supposedly, House of M is going to fix some of the problem with excessive numbers of mutants, but that will probably only last until the creative teams change. Second, Ultimate Marvel. Rather than try to fix the problems with the Marvel universe, it's like they just threw up their hands and decided to start all over. But, rather than follow DCs lead with Crisis and do a reset, they're running both universes at once. My main concern is that, inevitably, some writer/creative team is going to get lazy (or the higher-ups will go for the easy buck) and Ultimate Marvel will crossover with regular Marvel, setting up the beginnings of a DC-style multiverse.

Image - Do they even exist any more? No sense commenting on them.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

There was never anything wrong with the multiverse itself, just crappy editors and writers that abused it. If little kids back in the late 50s and early 60s could grasp the concept, theres no good reason why grown men couldent in the early 80s.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO, the multiverse lends itself more to abuse than a single universe though. In a single reality, a writer is stuck with whatever happened in the past. If they need to make a retcon, they'd better have a damn good way to work it into what's already happened. But in a multiverse, that's not true. Don't like a story that happened to Superman 10 years ago because it gets in the way of what you want to do with the character? It happened on alternate Earth [number/letter] and doesn't apply to what you're writing, which is the true reality. Five years later, some writer decides that he/she doesn't like what you wrote and your story is now relegated to happening on Earth [other number/letter].

'Hypertime' makes the problem even worse because you don't even need the alternate Earth excuse. Want to say that Batman did something that established continuity provides no evidence for or which directly contradicts established continuity? Hypertime. Want to change a character's past? Hypertime.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Two years ago, it would have been hands down Marvel.

Now, DC's running supreme in my book. I buy more DC titles a month now than Marvel. Compared to when I only bought GL from DC.

Though I completely adore Marvel's "Ultimate" universe, and it blows away anything else currently done by Marvel or DC.

12. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I have to go with the Ultimate Marvel-verse. Its been handled very well.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I always used to favor one universe over another but currently they are about even. However Marvel still has the edge. Now I follow talent more than characters. Geoff Johns rules DC while Millar and Bendis make mine Marvel. I think Marvel still has an edge because they have enough variety to allow to only pick certain books up.

DC currently has everything tied into IC. You can't pick up more than a few books without some IC tie in. Marvel however has only about 25% of it's books linked to HoM. It's all about choice.

14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

To me I'd have to go with Marvel; though I'm not a major league comic enthusiast to the point that I'd blow 300 a month on every title they currently produce, what they do, do seems to be more interesting to me then DC.

No offense, but DC heroes never really jumped out at me from the pages of the books; I prefer the DCU Animatedverse and their movies compared to their comics.
    Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash... These are just some of the heroes they possess and I find them interesting, but also a little bland. I can't exactly explain why; maybe it's because Spider-Man always seemed to be the kind of hero I might have become if I were fictional, maybe it's because most of the Marvel heroes work around cities like New York, which actually exist on Earth. Or maybe it's just because the first exposure I ever had to comics aside from Archie way back when was those cool Spider-Man comics designed to show you that drugs were bad. I used to have like the first three issues of them; where Spidey fought Electro because he was trying to push drugs or something... It's been a long time and my memory is hazy about those issues, but those were my first comics.
    Oh sure I had a few DC; one of them I distinctly remember as being the Death of Superman at the hands of some alien cowboy or something and The Flash and GL showed up and were featured through most of the book... Then Supes comes back having not been truly dead and he kicks butt or something... But that just wasn't as interesting after a while as Spidey beating down Electro for illegal drug trafficking and hurting the teens of... Well Yesterday now. :lol 

It's probably why I'll keep buying the Marvel Essential books; just scoop them all up, a great way to familiarize myself with all the characters and their pasts.
    Still I will have to admit; instead of throwing Wolverine or Spidey in the title they could at least attempt to create something decent again. I'm not bored with those characters because I don't buy tons of titles, but in truth it does seem that they rely too much on both of those characters as opposed to lesser known characters like Ghost Rider or something.

15. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marvel for me.

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Only DC stuff im interested in is crisis related and this only started with DOV. I am loving the vertigo stuff and will probably complete my Endless and Lucifer collections.
    The only 616 stuff ive picked up so far has been the specials namely breakout, Spider-man HOM, and the reguler mini. I am loving the Ultimate line though Ultimates, Spidey, X-men are all great, I still gotta get the annuals and finish my teamup collection

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I've just never been big on DC, even as a kid, except for Batman. A combo of Marvel taking place in the 'real' world and characters that were/are easier to identify with has always made Marvel more appealing in general. That said, all kinds of low points were reached in the mid-late '90s.

The Ultimate titles are the main thing that brought me back to comics (again), and I don't think there's a single Ultimate book I don't own. Some of the Team-Up stuff from the beginning is now useless, but everything else/since is friggin' great.

As for the 616 books, I had just started making regular trips to the comic shop when Straczynski came on board ASM. I hadn't read a SM book since not far into the Clone Saga and to be honest, I was mostly attracted by the covers of Vol. 2 #30+, which returned to the classic ASM logo. I never got into Babylon 5 so I barely even knew who Straczynski was, let alone that he was now writing the book. In my mind, the book going to shit and the abandonment of the classic logo circa '94 had been so close together that they'd become associated and the return of the classic logo meant that maybe Marvel was taking the title more seriously or, at least, trying to lure back old readers by making them think that via the old logo...either way it worked. I read #30-31 in the store, walked out with #30-34 and have been buying it ever since.

Things have only cascaded since then. Bendis on Daredevil and Disassembled/New Avengers, Waid (and now Straczynski) on FF, Whedon on Astonishing and Claremont back on Uncanny. Taken together, the Marvel U is at present the best its been in 20 friggin' years.

18. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    I've just never been able to get that into the DC universe/character (The just all seem so corny to me... yet i love the DCAU and have never been able to stomach a marvel animated series execpt that groovy CG spider-man one)

After i got back into comics i was picking up a handful of DC stuff, but last month canceled the last one (Superman/Batman) I'm really excited with the Talent at Marvel and the direction the books are going right now, probably the most enojyment i've gotten out of reading comics since the late 80s...

and with all the Brubacker stuff coming up >>>drool<<<

(did any of you see the Daredevil pages by Lark???? ~ http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/images/051016/dd082_01.jpg ~ http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/images/051016/dd082_02.jpg ~ http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/images/051016/dd082_04.jpg ~ almost seems a shame to colour those in!!!)

19. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I may like the marvel characters more but right now Dc is defintely the better of the to(imo.)