Who cried? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by spiritprime, Jun 25, 2009.

1. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Seriously, you guys. Did you all cry when Optimus got stabbed in the back by Megatron and fell to the ground like any dying stiff does? Believe me, when I saw it happen, it just took a few seconds during the moment when he told Sam to run. I was bawling to the point where I wanted to run out the cinemas and hide in the toilets.

When Optimus's optics switched offline and he went into stasis lock to prevent death, I couldn't actually bare to look at the screen but I stayed long enough to see the miracle when Optimus came back to life when Sam inserted the Matrix into his chest to revive him.

It truly was intense that moment and I thought for sure Optimus was completely dead like last time, if you get my theory. Obviously, Optimus is so much like Jesus Christ... Death and Rebirth. Too much, Michael, that is too much for some of the fans...

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was shocked but having been through a Prime death scene in '86 I was prepared for this one. The only time I felt any real emotion was with Sam's dad. He tried so hard to be tough when sending sam to school and was trying to deal with the idea of letting his son go. All that blows up in his face when he has to watch his son run off into a literal warzone. I thought the actor did a find job with that. Maybe it is because I'm a dad

3. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't get upset at the scene for some reason :s but i definitely thought it was really sad and emotional

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    There's a logical side of me that knew he'd be back.

He "died" in the middle of the movie.

I knew he was going to come back for the Jetfire combination.

I knew Hasbro wouldn't let him die.

They immediately set the tone of the move to resurrecting Prime.

5. red4

red4 Banned

I thought the part with Mikaela screaming for Sam when he died was more emotional.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i was pretty shocked yeah

didnt bring me to tears but i was like "duuuuuuuude...no way......"

7. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I knew it was coming and that he'd be coming back so I didn't feel any sadness about it.
    I was surprised at how nasty the death was though, if it had just been a stabbing it wouldn't have been so bad but the way Megs shoots right through him while he was impaled was brutal.

Don't know why Megatron said Optimus was weak though, considering Prime had just taken on 3 Decepticons and done rather well against them.

Hopefully since we've got the whole Optimus dying thing out the way now he won't do it again in part 3...

8. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

I did not feel any emotional reaction at all. That said, I knew what was coming.

9. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Kill the Cash Cow?

Psh, nahhh, I knew it was just a nap. Though I'm surprised to see at least 2 threads talking about adults crying over a fictional robot.

Thought you guys were made of sterner stuff.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

I knew he was gonna combine with jetfire later on, so he obviously wasn't dead (or gonna stay dead anyways)

that combination info long ruined his whole death scene :p 

11. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

You know, it's a little strange with me. I'd heard about the Jetfire combination beforehand, so I should logically have known he was coming back, but it didn't click in my head. Say what you will about Bay's TF movies, but I find them to be very effective at pulling me in (my father thought the same after seeing the first one). It wasn't until Sam raised the possibility of using the Matrix to revive Prime that I realised they'd be bringing him back this movie. Of course, I always knew they'd bring him back in the next one if he'd still been dead by the end of this one, because he's Optimus Prime, so death is just a minor inconvenience.

Still, it was an extremely well-done and brutal death scene. My personal favourite scene in the movie, though that might change with more viewings. Heck, right now it's my favourite Optimus death scene ever. I'm starting to get a little hint at how audiences in 1986 must have felt.

Bumblebee's little radio speech in the aftermath also got to me for some reason. Perfect time for him to use his obsession with evangelists.

Yeah, that was definitely my favourite human scene. After so long seeing Sam's parents as comic relief, it was a bit of a shock to get a serious scene with them, especially the father. The actor won't get an Oscar nomination for his performance or anything, but he certainly got the job done.

Real men can cry. I have a little saying: "We don't go to the cinema to feel safe, we go to the cinema to feel safely." Fits well here, I think.

The way I see it, it had nothing to do with combat ability. Think back to Megatron's comment in the first movie: "You fight for the weak, Prime!" To Megatron, that itself is a weakness, and it was the one that ultimately cost Prime his life.

12. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I must admit, though I think a lot of the movie fell quite flat in the emotion department, that death really hit me. Even though I knew Prime would be back because of the whole Jetfire combiner thing, I really reacted to seeing him fall, and seeing his eyes darken. It's probably my attachment to the character, the awesome voice acting of the Cullenator, the music score of SJ and the great animation from ILM all combining to give that moment a real gut punch. Oh, and I'll thumbs up Bay for that one as well. I'm sure the Director must have had something to do with that moment. :lol 

Yeah, that was an awesome moment as well. Major kudos to the actor who played Sam's dad, in that moment he turned his character from comic relief into someone with genuine emotional depth.

13. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

yes, real men CAN cry.....they just don't. 'Cause they're Real Men.

Shedding tears for anything other then the real and actual death of a loved one is a waste of salt.

(imo and all that)

14. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good point!

15. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    :wtf: 
    Seriously dude, It just a movie. Optimus returns anyway!

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh my eyes watered from the awesomeness far too many times to count.

17. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I didn't cry, I knew what was coming, but still seeing Prime's face all fucked up and LOOKED LIKE he was gonna pass on made me go. D=

18. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

:cry I was upset seeing Optimus go off line and I too was bawling but no one heard it the tears were rolling down my cheeks after he got stabbed by Megatron as I knew what he went through I felt him going off line

19. NFossil

NFossil Well-Known Member

I would have, for so many times, if I went to the cinema alone.

20. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    the first thing that went through my mind was "Oh shit, there goes the Bambi effect.."