Who created Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kylehudson14, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

First of all, forgive me if this thread has already been done. I wouldnt know :eek: 

The question is, Who created Optimus Prime? Im not talking about what company or which branch, Im referring to which individual came up with the idea of the character that he is?

Now, most of us know the origins of TF. They were figures taken from a Japanese line called Diaclones repainted & given different names. It was a new thing for America & kids loved them etc. Optimus' figure was a repaint of a blue(or maybe red) character from the Diaclone(s).

To get to the point, What individual person came up with the idea to repaint that figure, make him the leader of a team & give him the personality we are all familiar with?

2. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The All-Spark ;) 

3. Nemisispath

Nemisispath My username sucks

lol i thought in continuity-wise! As per real life my closest guess would be the guy who does the bios on the techspecs.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
  5. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Don't know why you included the last bit highlighted this is actually a vey good question, I hope someone answers it asap!

6. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

alphatron

7. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

Ha, ur so funny :p :rolleyes: 

8. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

The inspiration for Prime's personality was Peter Cullen's elder brother if I remember correctly :) rip)

9. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

You'll probably want to check out the TFWiki for your answers. I think they credit Bob Budiansky for doing most characterizations for the Marvel comics.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    As I mentioned, it was Denny O'Neil that actually created Optimus. Budiansky took over after all of O'Neil's other concepts got rejected.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    That would be it.

12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

He came up with a list of names and most of them got rejected except for Optimus Prime. That's why his name stands out compared to other Transformers' names that're usually some adjective combined with a common noun.

13. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Primus/Quintessons > The Matrix/Alpha-Trion > He was born that way > Man.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a composite answer, really. An unknown Hasbro rep came upon the toy and all the other Microman and Diaclone figures at the Tokyo Toy Fair and thought they were cool enough to import and sell, and in turn brought them to Henry Orenestein, who then proceeded to talk Hasbro VP of R&D George Dunsay into how cool they were and convince him that Hasbro should release them. After that was decided, it was... prrrrrrobably Dunsay? ...who looked at the toys and their size and price and concluded that the biggest automotive vehicle in the first product line, the truck, should be the leader of the good guy cars. From there the concept went to Marvel, where Jim Shooter created the original story treatment for the line then handed it off to Denny O'Neil did the first character work. BUT, O'Neil's work was then heavily revised by Bob Budiansky, and we don't know exactly what was kept and what Budiansky created brand new - aside from the fact that O'Neil created Prime's name, and Budiansky kept it. And then if you want to credit the cartoon story editors for shaping a more light-hearted Prime versus the more serious guilty depressive of the Marvel Comics, and Cullen for creating the voice to go with that, inspired by his own brother... so, in answer to your question, "a whole mess of dudes."

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Long answer is TL;DR! Want single name, regardless of how incorrect!

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The original Diaclone toy's patent is attributed to Hiroyuki Obara, though it's likely others worked on it as well, including Shoji Kawamori.

17. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    that was clarified recently in the new IDW trade for the marvel G1 run. O'Neil gave us the NAME Optimus Prime & The home world of Cybertron. thats pretty much all that survived his original story treatment.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *Shooter* created the treatment, though, O'Neil did the character work. I've not read the book in question, but frankly, I HAVE read various other supposed factual articles the writer of that book's supplemental material has penned, and I'm inclined to take pretty much anything he puts down with a grain of salt.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

:thumb 

So...
    the toy that started it = Takara
    idea for a leader truck robot = some Hasbro execs
    the name = Denny O'Neil
    the character personality and abilities = Bob Budiansky
    the voice and characterization = Peter Cullen (based on his bro, and probably John Wayne too)

Of those, I credit Budiansky and Cullen the most with defining Prime as we know him, but everyone else along the line played their important parts. :) 

Admittedly, I'd be really curious to see that original character work that got rejected, just as a sort of trivial "what might have been"... or at least to see why it was rejected, and how Budiansky did something different.

zmog

20. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    That really is a bold and good question! No forgiveness needed!