who controls who?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jazz4ever, May 15, 2008.

1. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

Does the head of the headmasters control the robot or does the robot controls himself and the headmaster helps or how the headmaster thing works in the first place

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Is there supposed to be a post here? Because without it, that title doesn't mean a hell of a lot...

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    :lol  it's a ghost thread!

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I CONTROL ALL!!!!!! I AM WHO CONTROLS WHO!!!!!!! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay :bay 

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Cooky, no first post. The thread says Jazz4ever made it, yet Ramrider's the first post at the top.

This is a wierd thread that scares me.

6. jazz4ever

huh thats really weird i posted it asking if the head of the headmasters control the robot or if the robot controls himself and the headmaster helps or how the headmaster thing works in the first place but for some reason it doesnt show it hm

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Strange...

To answer the question...they work together. The nebulaon/human in the head controls some of the the body, but the body will not act without wanting to. That is my understanding from north American Cartoon anyways.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Ha ha! This thread is missing it's head!

The Headmasters always confused me, and continue to confuse me in the IDW continuity. God knows why Furman wanted to make them so significant in his plotline, but in the IDW version, the original head still exists separate from the Headmaster.

I guess I always pictured it as the non-dominant personality in each mode being sort of a backseat driver... an onboard computer, a second set of eyes, etc... but seriously, I really have a hard time seeing that being a big advantage in combat. TFs already drive themselves... they don't really need a co-pilot.

Targetmasters and Powermasters made slightly more sense... but only slightly.

zmog

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    say who again mothereffer!!!! /l Jackson

their minds meld to enhance the robots ability duh

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, it's a symbiosis in the Western version of Headmasters, where Nebulans and Transformers 'binary-bond'. As far as I see it, basically the two minds work separately, but connected, and share the workload of 'operating' the Transformer. Think of it as a big control panel, which one person could operate well enough on their own, but two people can do much more efficiently. And of course, if each component has skills the other lacks, these can be shared between them as well.

In the Japanese fiction it's probably a bit more simple. What we call Nebulans are actually simply small Transformers, like Micromasters, who've re-engineered themselves to transform into heads and use them to control giant exo-suits.

So in the West the big robot is the Transformer, working in symbiosis with an organic, in Japan the Transformer is the small robot piloting a non-sentient exo-suit.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This is bizarre! I've done some mod magic and copied one of your old posts to be the first post in the thread and then copied over what you said further down, jazz4ever.

Anyways, it's never been clear exactly how it works.

In the US cartoon, the two personalities were separate and distinct, and the Transformer seemed to be mostly in control, except the Nebulan could override and take action. It was mainly a case of "two heads are better than one", with the Nebulan supporting the Transformer's tactical and combat abilities i.e. by helping with aiming, giving advice on the situation.

In the comics, from what little I read, they were almost backups to the main robot. For example, Highbrow gets blasted by Mindwipe and he gets brainwashed, but Gort does not, so when they separate, it breaks Mindwipe's control.

In IDW, the Sunstreaker series Headmasters are modified humans by the barrel load, all feeding off of the core Sunstreaker personality for tactical control and hub networking. Basically, the human heads are terminals of a network with the original Sunstreaker head as the hub. Hunter is a special case since he downloaded Sunstreaker into him, and Dante seems to have downloaded Scorponok too. I'm not sure how either of those work. I've not read enough yet to draw any conclusions.

At least in Japan it is simple. The heads are the robots, none of this "two personalities fusing into one" stuff. It's a cool concept, but two personalities blending to provide advanced control doesn't seem to gel. Especially when said personalities are ancient mechanical warriors, and a humanoid from what is more than likely a primitive species.

I actually wonder if there would ever be an "accident" Headmaster type, where the human who tries to bond "overloads" from touching minds with the Transformer? Marvel did this in the old Zoids comic from the UK, where one of the humans bonded with the Zoid Zoidzilla (Gojulas). That fusion was almost like a Headmaster bonding. Too bad the series ended so soon after so the consequences were never truly known.

12. jazz4ever

okay now i get it thanks for the help

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The problem I have with this is that assuming that a TF runs their own body similar to how a human runs theirs... subconsciously, with a lot of "subroutines" that manage balance, adrenalin, hand-eye coordination, etc... fluidly and instinctually... I can hardly see how introducing a second, outsider, semi-autonomous mind into the mix would actually improve performance that much.

I actually much prefer this version. For whatever reason, I always hated the cyborg element of Headmasters.

I know it's science-fantasy, and the logistics of fusing two minds into one fluid, superior entity is nothing new (combiners are not much different), the vagaries of Headmaster science just always bugged me.

zmog

14. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

In the marvel comics, they weren't just mere back-ups, but there is evidence that there is some intergration between the two personalities over time. This ican be seen in Scorponok/Lord Zarak's case, with both of them developing personality traits of their binary bonded partner. Even Spike had problems with binary bonding. Even though he was seperated from Fort Max for an extended period of time, he'd find Fort Max still had a presence in his subconcious mind. Evidently, for the Marvel comics at least, the binary bonding process involvings the melding of minds at a much deeper level where aspects of both personalities mind bleed into one another.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  15. MetroBoy

MetroBoy Keeper of the Cheese

A merging of both minds was my understanding as well. Atleast that's my recolection from the Marvel version.

16. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Wouldn't suprise me if it was a side-effect of the binary-bond process being some way of merging/synching a whole bunch of physical-control subsystems in the two beings. There's bound to be some bleed-over.