Who buys variant covers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Matty, Feb 17, 2012.

?

Who buys the variant covers?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Only for certain issues

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This thread is simple enough: just curious as to who buys the variant covers IDW offers for MTMTE and RID.

I typically haven't done it in the past, but with the start of MTMTE and RID I wanted to support IDW as much as I could since they really have stepped their game up big time. I also kind of like collecting the different covers and seeing the art. It's pretty cool, especially when you display them all hanging up.

2. siamese goat

siamese goat Hellstomper

When I do purchase "hard copies" I tend to get what is available. I do like the addition of covers in collected books like trades however.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    cant afford it AND news TFs

4. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    While I have a lot of regulars who love variants I don't get a lot of it with TF's. I don't think anyone went for more than 1 cover of the 6-7 on the new series. It sells fine and I'm loving the story....but I think the multiple variant covers is excessive. Granted some other stores might have the guys who love multiple TF covers...I just don't

...which means that if anyone is ever LOOKING for a variant cover, hit me up with a PM :) 

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    After the learning experience that was the 90s, I've totally avoided getting multiple variant covers. I mean, I'll get a variant if it's the same price, and available, but only one copy. I'm not going out of my way to grabe one just for the heck of it.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Sort of, I only get the variant covers to Transformers comics, because my local shop can't sell them and they are actually free so I get them cheap. I did work there for 12 years which is why I get preferential treatment.

Honestly though, I've missed some great Roche covers by sticking to variants only :( 

7. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    During the days of Dreamwave, I used to get every cover of every issue. In fact, I still have every Transformers cover that Dreamwave put out, as well as every cover from the Devils Due TF/GI Joe crossovers. When IDW picked up the TF license, I started buying every cover again, but they were putting out three, four, sometimes five covers for each issue. It just got to be too expensive, so I threw in the towel. Now I usually get just one cover of each issue, unless there are multiple covers that I really like for the same issue.

8. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't purposely look to purchase them but I have come across them at comic shops and picked em up if that counts.

9. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

I would buy variants mostly because I may not like the original.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Dragonclaw, I'm looking to buy the variant covers for the Chaos issues and the new ongoings. I'll buy a variant from you for 5 dollars, and I'll pay face value for every additional issue you have.

11. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are we talking about say getting Covers A and B or the Retailer incentive covers.

Usually I just choose my favourite of A and B, but if there were two I really loved I would probably get both.

I have no idea how to go about getting an RI cover so that probably won't happen.

12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I agree with this, as soon as IDW put the price up to $4 I stopped trying to collect all the variants. I did have the 1:100 Beast Wars cover at one point. Honestly these days I prefer hardcovers / trades.

13. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    With most of the IDW retailer incentives we can order 1 for every 10 regular copies the store orders, sometimes they have a 1 for every 25 copies or a 1 for 50 copies. I sometimes bump my order up if I have a customer who REALLY wants a variant and I'm sure most local comic shops are happy to do it if you want one. (There's no firm rule on how much variants cost...it's pretty much at the store's discression. Personally I base how much I charge for variants on how many extra copies beyond my usual that I'd need to order....if I have to order another 7 copies, and the book costs me $2 each, I charge $14)

14. ryu hayabusha

ryu hayabusha Well-Known Member

i always try to buy the A and B covers, so i can read the b covers and save A covers to sell later

15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No way, waste of money.

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

My comic shop charges face value for their variants of DC comics and why shouldn't they? Putting out variants rewards customers for coming to the store on Wednesday. I find variants for Green Lantern, Batman, and Action Comics when I hit up the Comics Factory early.

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i think thats how most stores do it, that way if they're left with 7 extra books down the road, they at least broke even on them and can clearance them out for a buck...

they put up 1 in 50 variants on the shelf? for cover price? that's a terrible business idea, i'd be in there everyday wednesday buying those variants to resell on ebay... unless you're talking about the books that ship 2 covers, in equal ratios, but then that's not a variant...

18. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I've never had any interest in variants, or even the different A and B covers. Back when I bought paper comics, I just preordered and took whatever happened to show up in my box. *shrug* I think variants are a vestige of the old speculator culture...if someone wants a variant because they like having something rare or "special", then fine, but I think they're misguided if they think those issues are going to be worth thousands later just because they have a different cover (which usually doesn't look any better than the regular covers).

Agreed. I have heard of shops offering variants for close to cover price to a big spending customer or two as a reward for their loyalty, but that's a little different than giving them away to any random schlub who happens to walk in.

19. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    With the DC books there are a few issues where we can get one variant for every copy of the lowest ordered DC comic that week, those do get mixed in because they aren't really anything more than an A/B cover to me. The only time I really see people want a variant is when they are a fan of one particular artist like with the Ale Garza covers of Grimm's Fairy Tales and Warlord Of Mars, there are some rabid fans of his cover work. TF's though are usually just an uncolored cover so not really as special AFAIC

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Maybe that's because you work on Wednesday? It's not 1 in 50 anyways. I see about 10 issues of the regular cover mixed in with 3 variants on the shelves. Say it to my copy of Batman #6. Tell me this isn't a variant

[​IMG]