Who are these Micromasters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by alldarker, Mar 19, 2012.

1. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I recently bought a combined lot of assorted G1 Micromasters and accessories (and yes, it in fact includes one Actionmaster vehicle). I've managed to identify most of them, but the three circled Micromasters remain a bit of a mystery to me, though. Not even TFU.info or TFwiki can help me identify these ones. So perhaps you can help? (Apologies for the bad quality: pictures taken by the seller. They are clickable to a slightly larger size).

[​IMG]
    Best shot of the grey and black Saab Grippen Micromaster. It's evidently a repaint of Skyhopper (grey / pine Saab Grippen) and Storm Cloud (lilac / back Saab Grippen), which are placed next to it, but neither TFU.info or TFwiki have info on other repaints than these two.

[​IMG]
    Best shot of the black / dark green Monstertruck. Again, this is evidently a repaint of Mudslinger (blue monster truck) and Greasepit (grey monster truck) which are both also in the picture.
    Also, who is the blue truck? It looks a lot like Dropshot from the Decepticon Military Patrol, but the painted windows and the blue gun don't match Dropshot's colorless body and grey gun.

2. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    well you could try TFwiki, just look up the character and see in the toy desciption who else it shares a mold with.

3. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The one that is circled is Storm Cloud. He's part of the Air Strike Patrol.

4. alldarker

News Credits:
    You guys aren't really helping here: did you not read the part about me already having checked both TFU.info AND TFwiki for info on repaints, OR the part about Storm Cloud already being in the picture (and being LILAC)

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The jet looks like it could just be severely yellowed but it's hard to tell from those pics.

6. alldarker

News Credits:
    What the... I hadn't even thought of that, but now you mention it... Damn... So it really IS Storm Cloud! My appologies to DecepticonSpike! You seem to have been correct!

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, my first thought on the jet was a yellowed Stormcloud.

The others (or hell, all of them) could always be KOs.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Could that green Mudslinger also be a 'yellowed' Mudslinger? The blue somehow paling to green? If it is a Mudslinger mold that is. I see a Greasepit there, which was a Mudslinger repaint so maybe the guy just liked that mold.

9. alldarker

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was considering Orodruin's statement about the yellowed Storm Cloud, and realized that the same could be said for the 'indefinable color' on the third monster truck, which I first thought was either dark green or black. I now also believe it's just a very yellowed Mudslinger... It would figure considering blue + yellow = green...
    I had no idea these were so prone to yellowing though. Glad to see the undamaged versions in the lot as well.
    Still wondering about that Dropshot-like Micromaster though... UV light doesn't create light blue windows where there used to be none! Perhaps a customized Dropshot?

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    It could be. Although why paint the cannon the same colour as the body? It's entirely possible that it's some kind of plastic error and molded from the body blue too. But then along with the painted windows I am leaning more to custom.
    Just a pity the pic is too small for a proper look.
    Any idea what that yellow and black thing at the bottom of the pic is? And the white/grey block directly to the right of it?

11. alldarker

News Credits:
    Yellow and black thing: a very incomplete part of the base mode belonging to Retro and Surge.
    White / grey block: Overflow (rear half of Full-Barrel)

12. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Ah right. I've got those myself so I have shame for not recognising them.

I think in the case of the 'Dropshot' you'll just have to wait until you get it in hand. Do please let us know what it was in the end, or at least post clear close pics for further investigation. :) 

13. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think they're any more prone to it than other figures, sometimes things are just left in the sun. When I was a kid I had Fort Max and all my *masters set up in the main room in front of the window so they got baked every day and his ramps really show it.

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    The blue military truck appears to be from the military patrol, but the turret color doesn't look right... the other two could be KOs.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Toss them in a water bottle full of hydrogen peroxide and see if they change color to something more reasonable.

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    That only works to make things white if they have gone yellow it wont make light aged plastic go back to original colour otherwise.

17. alldarker

News Credits:
    I received the lot today... All in all a pretty interesting bunch of figures. Seller hadn't taken much care of these, so the dust / dirt seen in the photo's is still on them :( 

But there are a couple of gems which made the lot worth the price of admission for me: complete Erector (of course :D ), the whole Rescue Patrol, a complete Roughstuff, the (incomplete) Anti-Aircraft Base with Spaceshot/Blackout (they seem to be worth quite a bit on eBay).
    Others were slightly disappointing: sometimes due to being very incomplete, sometimes due to having very loose joints. The AM Optimus Prime Armored Convoy and the Double Shuttle set (with Overflow) are so dirty, and missing so many parts, that I am considering just dumping them, or at least throwing them into the Radicons Junk-Pit.

And as for the answer to the 'unknown' Micromasters? As predicted, the first two are a sun-damaged Stormcloud and a sun-damaged Mudslinger.
    And the Dropshot 'variant' is indeed a knockoff.

18. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    And now we know.

Bummer that so much of the lot seems to be less than stellar quality-wise. But I'm sure you'll find someone that would love to take them off your hands rather than just binning the low quality items. At the very least the lot was so varied that it was interesting and you got some gems, and we got a nice thread out of it too. :) 

19. alldarker

News Credits:
    Thanks! Yeah, unpacking these was a blast. The seller had packed them all up in newspaper, so every single package was a surprise to open. As if they were blindpacked. Took me about an hour to open and examine each one.

Yeah, I'll definitely throw some into the Junkion Exchange, and I'll try to find some parts or replacements for a couple of the ones in poorer condition (for example, the Roughstuff Micromaster robot has slightly floppy arms).

The Dropshot is definitely the only KO in my lot but I wasn't even aware there were so many KO Micromasters. I guess he's comparable to the green one featured in this lot. Not too bad molding, and the painted windows are a nice additional touch not featured on the original Dropshot, but he is a bit loose.