Who are these "ancient gods"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jan 19, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

In Ramjet´s bio, it´s said his spark was mutated by some ancient gods more powerful than Unicron. Who are they?

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Which Ramjet, and what's the source of the bio?
    I'm going to assume you're referring to Universe Ramjet, since he's the only one I can think of who can be thought of as mutated.
    In which case, it was never established exactly who the gods were. Though the TFWiki posits that it may actually have been referring to the deities of the Cthulhu Mythos.

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    The Ramjet I know hits stuff, flies into stuff, and blows things up. I'm not sure of this mutant you speak of.

edit:

Checked ^.....weird. I didn't realize that backstory even existed....

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Toasticus

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toast for the toast god!

6. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Please be more specific about which Ramjet you're talking about. That said, there's really only one Ramjet, Universe Ramjet, that has a bio that mentions 'old gods'. Ramrider already presented the link and like the TFwiki article suggests, I believe it to be the Lovecraftian old gods.

7. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

Some generic space deity.

G1 is full of those.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I doubt we'll ever know, as much of a loss that obviously is.

Goes great with the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

9. General Magnus

Sorry, forgot to add Universe ramjet. Silly. So this means that som4thing out there who´s more powerful that Primus and Unicron? Doesn´t that kinda neuters the whole Transformers universe? What´s the point in the fighting if there´s something bigger and meaner out there?

As for the Ctuthu thing? I do´t buy it. Totally different Universe with different characters sand such.

Are these things even cannon?

10. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Gah

I don't like mystical religion with my TFs. They can "call it" whatever they like, make up their own religions on Cybertron, but at the end of the day I still want it to be mechanical lifeforms, not magical gods. I think of Unicron as a powerful, advanced Transformer, not a god trapped in this plane in a metal body.

The whole god thing seems so tacked on and mary-sue to me.

11. General Magnus

How can it be worse that a monkey building Unicron?

12. General Magnus

AS for the mary-sue comment.. I don´t think. If anything it add to the mythos. After there´s a reason why the Transformers aren´t mechanical automatons. They feel after all.

13. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    I just think of as where we are beings made of meat, they are beings that evolved out of a metallic environment.

I guess I'm stuck in my idea that they are robots that think and feel. I like the idea that their bodies are traditionally "robotic".

Once the comics started trying to push religion into it I hated it. Primus and Unicron as immortal gods stuck in this plane in metal bodes?

Sorry, to me that by definition is Mary Sue given the robotic origins of the series. IT felt VERY tacked on and forced to me.

My ideal origin is that they were manufactured, and eventually AI took over ala Terminator. Eventually, millions of years later, they are totally evolved with societies and have lost trace of their true origins, making up things like religion as we do on Earth. They don't think of themselves as "robots", most of them have only ever seen mechanical life. Truly a mechanical, robotic lifeform with it's own societies.

No need for sky-gods and hocus pocus. I prefer sci-fi to god-fi.

14. General Magnus

I honestly don´t see it that way. And how can a robot feel? You can´t really fake those emotions. They aren´t numbers that can be simply faked. TFs feel a myriad of emotions. Greed, hope, love, rage, et etc, those things can´t really be faked. For me, something had to give the TFs their emotions and the capability to feel them and that something is Primus. Adding religion to Transformers only gives them an aspect of their own culture. If mankind ever reaches space, pretty sure we will find aliens wit their own religions. So why should not TFs have it?

Also, the term "mary-sue" has lost some of it´s meaning and it´s used far too easily these days to define a character or setting people don´t like. Look at the nerdrage over Drift.

15. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Well, Drift is the textbook definition of Mary Sue, so that's not really the best example.

Besides, emotions and hormones exist only to guide you in life anyway, they are as much programming as anything, only in our meat bodies and not mechanical. You can have emotions with gods. Heck, the bible teaches animals are have no souls, but I know animals feel emotion. It's obvious. Same thing.

16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The concept of the Mary Sue is that it's an author avatar made to look awesome or badass. Not applicable to Unicron in any capacity.

17. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    I guess I'm thinking of it in that they just piled too much onto Unicron; being a powerful robot wasn't enough...he had to be an immortal god eternally locked in combat etc etc.

Primus couldn't just be a giant transformer, he had to be a god trapped in our realm and the creator of life etc etc

Just seems to much for it's own good and unnecessary. I guess that doesn't totally define Mary Sue but not far from it.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Unicron being a Mary Sue would mean that the entire story revolves around Unicron being super awesome and all characters devolving into Unicron fanboys.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That's just silly. It's far easier to believe in Atechnogenesis - Transformers Wiki. The original origin story FWIW.

The ancient gods are probably a nod to the Cthulu Mythos. It's a nod for fun. It doesn't render the Transformer story any less interesting the same way the existence of the Alternity doesn't make the Autobot and Decepticon conflict meaningless. If anything, the Transformer universe has Hytherion - Transformers Wiki, who makes everything in the Cthulu Mythos seem tame.