Who are the artists on the toy covers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Heyo! I've got a school assignment I need to do, I'm not going into full details what it is, but I need to pick a theme and I choose the theme of toys.

One of the things that're required is that I need to find 3 artists and display an peice of work of theirs, and I think that using some of those Transformer artists that make the drawing of the character on the box cover would be great to use. I want to see if I can get the name of a few artists, like who is the one who did this?

[​IMG]

In case anyone is wondering on who else I picked, I also have Karl Kopinsk who does some major artwork for Warhammer 40k (I count the mini's in the game as toys as well).

Also are there maybe some suggestions on other artists who have their work related to toys as well? I'll still be searching on my own, but I appreciate any suggestions if one comes to the top of your mind.

2. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I have no idea on the Gen 1 stuff.

I know most of the recent Universe stuff is Marcelo Matere as I saw em in his portfolio at SDCC08.

The Armada/Energon/Cyberton and Alternators lines were by the DW guys. Pat Lee,Alex Milne,Don Figueroa,Guido Guidi.

Good luck on your search. I am very interested to find out as well. Some of the G1 box art was phenomenal.

3. drewette

drewette I am ridiculous

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You probably won't find much searching for "toy covers". The common fan term is "Box art(work)" or "packaging art(work)". :) 

We currently only know two names of artists from the G1 era:
    Richard Marcej, which did a large portion of the 1986-1988 stuff, and Japanese super-artist Hidetsugu Yoshioka, who also started out in the later G1 era (and continues doing Transformers-related art to this very day).

More:
    Package art - Teletraan I: The Transformers Wiki

Hidetsugu Yoshioka - Teletraan I: The Transformers Wiki

5. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Ah, Don Figueroa. IMO best TF artist ever!

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This isn't about tf toys, but you can try and find the name of the author that drew boxart for the original Masters Of The Universe line. That line had some really good, Frazetta like artwork on the boxes.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Sorry for the bump on this subject, but I want to hear what you guys think on this.

I think I have come to the decision on what 3 artists I'm going for that contrubute to toy development, there's Richard Mercej who posts his work on the actual box for toys. Then Karl Kopinski who has had artwork submitted for Warhammer 40k and has his work posted in various game workshop books, he indirectly works with toys in the sense that his images bring the toys a motion and atmosphere that looking at a table with mini's couldnt display. Then finally I think, and it's sort of a cop out, Todd McFarlane, artist wise he has illustrated comic books and runs a huge toy company, his company makes the toys, but the toys are displayed from his artwork, making stuff that is 2d to became 3D objects we can touch (mostly in reference to Spawn toys).

Hows that sound?