Who actually roots for "the bad guys" to win?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Karhukjnsi, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    This thought hits me, many of us have at least 1 or two "bad guys" (be they Decepticon or Predacon) we enjoy the characterization of alongside at least 1 or two "good guys". Though, when you think about it, when reading a book, is there ever a point you'd actually WANT "villains" to win, bring about a new age of their more violent and survival-of-the-fittest ways?

We like bad guys typically because they help balance out the story against the good Autobots/Maximals (also sometimes they reflect our deep dark, possibly subconscious desires), but most of the time we end up wanting/expecting the "good guys" to win, just because we kinda accept that. Would you actually root for the murderers, thieves, lowlife scum and whatnot (strictly in the TF universes that is; let's not get into talking about real life [yet])?

2. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    not me.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    From time to time.

It gets boring when one side completely crushes the other side every single story.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since 1985 only twice. I wanted to see Megatron win in BM to keep Cybertron from turning into a weed garden. Second, although evil, I still want to see the SG Autobots win from time to time.

5. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm one of those people, I guess that's why I like the early comics and The Ultimate Doom so much.

6. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

BW Megatron, he even does win from time to time in S2 and S3, and he did "win" the Beast Wars.

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always root for the 'cons with a few exceptions. They're just more fun. :) 

8. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

i some times do

just to have a change

9. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I do.

10. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

maybe once in a great while,but most of the time i root for the autobots.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Every now and then it was great to see the Predacons wins, but mainly wanted to see the Maximals win. These days though with the Autobots or Decepticons again, it's a toss up for me.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Unless it's something like Thundercats it seems like the bad guys are always cooler than the good guys are. So even though I know the stories will always be the old standard of the good guys must always win there is that part of me that wonders what sort of stories you would get if the bad guys won.

13. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I wanted to see Starscream win in ROS [although, he technically did].

Also, I liked Megatron [BW] winning in S1 and S2 [you didn't see him win in S3 until BM, to be fair, S3 finale was almost too goody-goody].

Finally, it happened with Master Galvatron in Galaxy Force. Completely outnumbered by the end, yet still fighting on. Starscream in episode 26 as well.

14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always pull for the bad guys. They are generally more interesting then the hero's.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't actually care that much... good guys, bad guys... if either side is painted only in black and white, with no shades of grey in between, they are BORING.

Obviously Transformers has its origins in a childrens' fiction, and the lines between good and evil are mostly clearly drawn... but I do occasionally like to see stories that are told from the "villains" point of view, or ideally, both points of view simultaneously. Stories that develop the notion of what their goals really are, how they interact with each other, etc...

One of the things I always liked about Transformers base fiction is the way the good guys and bad guys are really given pretty equal weight. If you read over the original profiles, you find that the there is no lack of interesting, competent, or even sympathetic characters, on the "bad" side.

I think Larry Hama figured this out during his early years writing Marvel's GIJOE series... the first year was mostly self-contained "mission" based stories with a rotating cast of heroic Joes that win in the end... and this started to get stale quickly. Hama soon realized that the focus should be on the characters, not the missions themselves, and that the various conflicts, machinations, betrayals and loyalties within Cobra were WAY more interesting than anything happening on the JOE side. It made for much better reading. :) 

zmog

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've recently started to root for Barricade in his fight with Bumblebee in the 2007 movie, even though I know that he still gets beaten.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends if I like the bad guys.

18. Dogcatcher2009

Dogcatcher2009 Well-Known Member

Just G1 Thundercracker. Unfortunately, he always gets his aft handed to him on a plate.

19. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Yep, I love the villans winning. All movies always have a happy ending; That's why I like Cloverfield. It, does not.

20. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Banned

Most of the time my favorite characters are the bad guys, but I always love to see the Bad guy get it in the end.