Minor/Repaint: White primer Magnus Prime issue

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by johaneggink, Oct 17, 2008.

1. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    I was so ready for it. Got myself a new voyager prime and I wanted to go classic ultra magnus with it.
    But the damn red is coming through the white primer. (Enlarge picture.. and it is worse in real light) There is actually a layer of grey primer in there as well. This sucks so bad!
    This is the first time I am using white primer, normally I use grey or black.

Anyone has any ideas? I am going to buy a new bottle of thinner to get the stuff off again...
    I dont want a pink chested Ultra magnus and there are enough nemisis primes already...:rolleyes: 

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Is it the red paint on parts that's coming through, or is the plastic colour showing through as well? If it's the paint, I'd recommend trying to strip as much off as you can.
    Otherwise I agree with you that the most effective way to go is probably to knock back the red with a light grey, then apply the white.

3. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    It is the red plastic. I am thinking about using black primer as a primer base coat, before using the white primer :rolleyes2 
    I've already used a layer of grey, but the red is still "shading" through.

First I have to take off all the primer though... :banghead: 
    Damn't I was so wanting to finish this in a day. White primer, Make the helmet white, some silver detailling and an elite guard sticker on the shoulder. It would rock..

4. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

If you could find yourself a lacquer primer that they uses on automobile. This way the red will be covered up and won't bleed thru. Also the lacquer primer is not strong enough to melt the plastic. This primer is one of the cheapest in the car industry, might find some for 25$ a pint with thinner ( use the one recomended for the product) IF EVER YOUR BUDGET CAN AFFORD IT, I highly recommend a build up automotive primer. then a bit of sanding, covers imperfection perfectly, builds up those sanding crevaces and easyly sandable with 600 water sanding paper.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    What brand of primer are you using?

And by primer, do you mean you plan to paint over it again, or you are using primer white paint and you wanted that to be your final color?

I've had really good results with the krylon fusion super-flat white as a primer, and then a couple shots of their gloss white over that. It's not very thick at all if you just do a few short coats of each, and the results when left to cure properly have been great (I'd say at least a week to 9 days left untouched this time of year to cure). I would dip your guy into a 91% alcohol bath for a few days, go out and get some fusion and some of that testors super grit sandpaper, and start over. Give everything a light sanding and you'll get a much better adherence from the paints, so when it does bond to the plastic it will have more surface to do so.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any UM repaints of this mold yet, maybe it's because there is an actually un-Optimus UM in animated though I guess. Still, good luck, and keep us posted!

6. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

Hey don't get discouraged about it. Sometimes it takes a few coats- Lord knows i've had to completely start over on some of my bashes due to gettin into a hurry. Take your time. Don't rush it. Keep at it and please keep us updated....

7. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    The brand is valleyo. It is a game color brand. Testors and Krylon are USA brands. Not easy to come by in The Netherlands. Yes, the primer was also going to be the end color aside from some detailling.
    I know I think I am the the first to do a Animated UM repaint, especially since it is the first line in a long time that UM gor its own mold. Irony.

A well. First give the guy a bath to clean up...

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

are you sure you cant let it cure and put another coat? it looks like it just needs more coats of paint.

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This may work, but I think you have to start with a dark primer (black) and then go white. I had to do this on some movie voyager prime repaints. The red showed through after 3 coats (and seemed to get worse as the paint cured), but I did one coat of khaki took care of it.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Must just be the red they use. I'm getting on really well with Vallejo's Model Color Foundation White, but so far I'm only using it on a Sunstreaker, so it doesn't have the red to contend with yet.

11. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    The chestpiece already has 2x white 1x grey when I saw things were going wrong and then again 2 white. Then I stopped because parts will probably wont fit anymore if I put on anymore paint. This UltraMagnus has a paint armour :) 
    I think I clean/soak him and then first do a black primer on everything. This should also give everything the same shade of white, I hope...

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

LOL, paint armor. Funny. I found that a black primer coat works best over Prime's red plastic.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I wonder if a dark grey would work better as a primer than the black? I'm just considering that black's often as hard to cover as red, especially when you're topcoating with white.

14. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

In automotive, the key is:
    Clean parts thoroughly ( in cas of a toy, soap is fine) better yet, with a degreaser.
    Than before applying anyprimer, make sure the parts are well sanded, this will also make sure that anyother layer applied to it will stick well.
    Wet Sanding the primer with wet 400 or even better 600 wet sanding paper ( the black one)
    This will make the surface nice and clean of roughness for your paint.
    It will at the same time prevent it from scratching.

The same applies for anything that you want to paint, even you home walls ( xept the wet sanding part, but for any surface prep, it is all the same.

Clean, prep, sand, clean, prime, sand, clean and then PAINT

Have fun!

15. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone! Will keep you posted when its done!

16. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    I had this same issue when i was painting my Nova Prime. I had to put many layers on nova, yet it still showed through. The red went right through Primer, White paint and Clear coat. It's some chemical they use in red plastic that causes it. the only success i had was using Games Workshop paints. Crappy quality but it held the red back. I think the thing that activates it is the spray.

17. johaneggink

johaneggink Netherlands

News Credits:
    Djeezzz, that sounds hopefull. It sound like if hasbro isn't doing a UM repaint, no-one can.. :) 

I will try it one more time and otherwise he will become a nemisis or nightwatch..