White plastic should be outlawed

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Hatch_1, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Hatch_1

Hatch_1 Well-Known Member

*sigh* Poor, poor Jetfire. He'll now have to join my small, yet exclusive club of discolored toys. Apparently, even indirect natural light is enough to get the job done:

[​IMG]

Minerva, Greatshot, and now Jetfire, this is getting ridiculous. I have got to get some UV film for the windows. Who sells that stuff, anyway? Hardware store?

**On a six degrees of separation-type related note, I picked up Robotech: Shadow Chronicles DVD at Wal-Mart today (along with Classics Jetfire who was finally in stock). This took me back a bit, since a: I didn't know it was out - and b: I never would have anticipated being able to get it at WM :) 

Anyhoo, recommended! Now this is an honest-to-goodness Robotech show that, were it made into a series, would easily remove my 'casual' status as an RT fan.

Alpha/Betas, Cyclones, giant space battles, and only *one* crappy song break... what's not to like?

2. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Get your house windows tinted. Same as car window tinting, just on a larger scale. :)  Plus you can go as dark as you damn well want.

BTW, can I have the armor and gun to go with my perfectly white jetfire? :D 

3. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

But is it all white plastic, or just the stuff that was used 20 years ago?

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Any plastic can discolour. I've got a box full of sunburnt Micromasters that by all rights I ought to replace someday. For the best results, you want to keep them out of direct sunlight. All my rare stuff is kept on a shelf which is high up enough that the only light that reaches it comes from the lighbulb on the far side of the room. I'm not too worried about a tiny bit of yellowing, though. My TFs are my childhood, they were played with and enjoyed then as now (only now, it's more enjoying and less playing)

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I hate white too..wish they wold stop making white TFs...My jetfire went the same way with NO direct sunlight every touching it. MY prowl and jazz's shoulders have faded to an off white grayish color too...ticks u off..I replaced jetfire. I don't know where else to store these things or what to do..

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got another issue. Some of the Pretenders are made of a low grade plastic with the Decepticons. Some of the Japanese Victory Dinocons too. They have brown age spots! They weren't exposed to any direct lighting at all. Also, some of the Action Master partners have fading plastic. Action Figures aren't designed to last over 20 years I guess.

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    pfft, you think thats toy discoloration, you should see the G1 jetfire I picked up at an old junk shop. ill try and get pics tomorrow, its nearly bright yellow. I think its been left in the desert for a good year or so.

8. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I dont have direct light on my toys, but I do have windows in my room with curtains drawn. will discolor my tfs?

9. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Hell, I'm so paranoid of the discoloring from sunlight and regular light that I just put all my toys into rubbermaid bins. I know I'm going to get heat for this from my local friends but I don't care. I paid enough money for these toys, I not going to risk them getting destroyed just from light. It's just easier that way. Plus no dusting. But I always have junkers around for display and for play. Hell, I got a goshooter yellowed sitting in the sun everyday. I want to see how much more yellowing he can get. :ev: 

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This is why make sure my hands are clean when fiddling with Classics Jetfire.
    He's so white, and I plan to keep it that way.

My g1 Jetfir is also yellowed

[​IMG]

11. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    You should rename him Desert Storm Jetfire :lol :

12. Hatch_1

Hatch_1 Well-Known Member

It's possible. That sounds similar to what's happened here. I had him displayed in a case for a number of years across the room from a small window. That window never gets direct light and the curtains are always closed. Sounds wonky but I can't think of anything else to explain it. The discoloration is only on the front of toy (I turned his right forearm to the side so the white would show) so it's likely not from natural degradation.

I suppose I'll have to replace him. Shouldn't be terribly bad to do so as I only need the robot. *shrug* I do hope the tinting thing works out. Hate having to hide toys in closets and such like I have with Fort Max. Right now, he's wrapped in bubble wrap, surrounded by packing peanuts, inside a box that's inside a closet...

oh the fun we have together

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'll blow your mind with this story. I had Jetfire when I was a kid, in fact, he's one of the few TFs from my childhood that I still have. He was still perfectly white the last time I saw him when I was a kid. He got packed away in the bottom of a box in the back of a dark closet. Jetfire stayed there until a couple years ago when I went back home and dug him out. He has about the same amount of yellowing as that top pic, even though all of it occurred in complete darkness. I think it's just aging of the plastic and not at all related to sunlight.

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Yeah, white TFs are the scourge of collecting. My G1 Jetfire is still white, but I look at it and wonder if its time is coming too.

And, I also have seen yellowing of white plastic not exposed to sunlight. Plastic will do that, I guess.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ugh, I wonder if this'll happen to my bone white star saber?

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

:eek:  these are like scary bedtime stories for TF collectors.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This is why i rarely took mine out of the box .
    I fear the yellow

check out the nose on my GS, makes me feel like cryin

[​IMG]

18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yay, glad i got, special uv ray protective windows.

none of my transformers have every yellowed themselves, just ones i've botten on the internet, that came yellowed. so i've never had the problem myself.

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

or maybe, he spent too much time with cykill's teeth...

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

*hides in a dark room with all his clones*