Customs: White Paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Spyne98, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been making some small customs for a while now. I haven't posted any on here because I don't consider mine anywhere as good as some of the others on here. I have been using white on some of my customs and I notice that it clumps up very easily and does not look smooth. Any one have any ideas of what I could be doing wrong or if there's a certain type of white paint I should be using? Thanks for any feedback.

2. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

what type of white paint are you using??

3. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I use Testors Model Masters Flat White Enamel.

A couple of tips:
    - Shake it up REALLY well. You may have to stir it. The pigment clumps at the bottom and you end up with cloudy thinner.
    - You're gonna need to do multiple coats.
    - Put on very thin coats.
    - Make sure you clean any brush you're using very well before you use white.

4. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, I just realized I was using the wrong kind of paint. Thank you for the heads up, I'll buy some Enamel tonight.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just because one person uses enamel doesn't mean what you're using is wrong bud. Depending on what you're using could determine what your process should be. So as asked, what type of paint ARE you using?

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just thought I'd chime in and say that I really hope you post your work. Members shouldn't feel that they can't post just because they feel like their work "isn't good enough".

Often times, what I've found is that if members post their work and are very humble about it, it comes across better than either acting totally obvious and insensitive to critiques.

Also, hopefully you'll be able to keep pushing your skills and soliciting for advice as this thread evidences. Thanks to everyone who tries to post with the intent to help as well :thumb 

7. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    This.

A lot of folks swear by Enamels but they're simply not for me. In my experience they dry and become tacky causing them to rub off at the slightest touch. I know there's a way around this but I simply choose not to go down that road. I don't like working with the thinner and blah blah blah.

I use Testors Acrylics exclusively. IMO They're easier to work with and I have A LOT more experience with them.

Mixing your paint is a necessity. Shake your bottle for a full minute, crack it open and stick the back end of your brush in there. If you feel something mushy in there that'd be the pigment that has settled. Stir that stuff around. Take your time and get it all mixed up as best you can. If you feel nothing, do nothing and clean the back of your brush.

Acrylics are usually water based and most of the time the paint in the bottle is too thick for painting (especially large areas) so you'll need to thin it out. If you don't, you'll wind up with streaking, brush strokes, clumping and uneven layers. In order to thin out your paint you'll need to add some water. Don't go over board when adding water - too much and you wind up with shitty flavored water :lol  . Add a few drops, do a test coat on something, let it dry, add more if needed, test coat, etc until you come to a satisfactory finish.

KEEP YOUR COATS THIN! Slapping a ton of paint onto your toy all at once is very tempting from a time saving standpoint but do not do it. The results are always clumpy and uneven. Take your time. Apply a thin layer and let it dry before applying another layer and continue this until your color is true and even. Patience is a virtue that you must learn and once you do time will be your friend.

Don't be afraid to use some hobby grade sandpaper. Mistakes are inevitable and they will happen. A light sanding will cure issues of unevenness and clumping after it's happened. Sure, you'll have to do the some more painting but it beats throwing things out, finding replacement parts or simply settling with work you're not happy with.

Lastly, white and yellow are the damn devil and are the two hardest colors to paint with. Because they are so light and bright they take more coats, more time and more patience. They also look the worst during the initial stages. If you're planning on painting white over a dark colored surface you will lose your mind trying to get it right if you don't use some sort of lighter colored base coat. So, before you paint your Movie Ironhide white make sure to put down a base coat with a Primer or a Light Gray paint. This will give you a lighter foundation to work with and make your White painting much easier to do.

And no matter what- if you want to post your work, post it. Be proud of what you do and enjoy it. Good comments and feedback are useful and sometimes necessary in order for you to learn and grow. If you don't get comments, don't get discouraged. I have a good skill set and feel my work is generally great, however, most of the time I don't create things that a lot of people gush over. I do a lot of touch up work like adding missing details or altering only part of a toys paint scheme. Sometimes mt threads garner tons of comments but on many occasions they will go unanswered because it's not a full repaint or it's not the thing that everyone is doing RIGHT NOW or there's another custom on the board that garnering a ton of attention, etc. When that happens, just move on because it's not a slight against you or your work. It's just the way these things go. What's important in the end is that you enjoy your work, continue to grow your skills and have fun.

8. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

A tip for painting yellow. Do a thin coat of brown , then a thin coat of yellow. It will give much better results.

9. openchallenge

openchallenge It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it

I HATE painting with white. The only custom I want to do is a supreme class version of botcon 08 shattered glass Starscream too. :(  I watch frenzy rumbles videos where he airbrushes something and immediately smears his hand over it to show that it's dry and done. Uh.... Show us how you get an airbrush to work that awesome?

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really.. I have never known this. Does it need to be a certain brown with a certain yellow, our just a general tip?

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should have multi-quoted, but anyway, he users, if I'm not mistaken (may very well be wrong too) an iwata eclipse c. It's the same ab most of the pros use. So highly recommended,.that I even went out and bought one. I tell ya what, it's the best hobby investment I've done in years. Next to paints that is :thumb 

12. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

i dislike brushin on light bright paints, especially on large areas....its much easier and less time consuming to just spray them on...either it be spray can or air brush.