Which was the longest running American cartoon in the US?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LigerPrime, Aug 27, 2006.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I decided to put this here because this has to do with animation...I'm curious which was the longest running cartoon in the US - in the 80s and presently? Was it G.I Joe? The first Masters of the Universe?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The Simpsons.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Definitely the Simpsons.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Followed by The Flinstones.

AFIK most 80's 'toons didn't last for more then a 2 or 3 seasons.

5. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Simpsons. 2009's gonna be 20 years of that show. I bet they're gonna make some sort of 20th Anniversary video or something.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a shame the movie won't be out at that time - it'd be the perfect 20th anniversary tribute. Undeniably though it is the longest running cartoon, Flintstones next, and if you count all the incarnations and stuff, Transformers must be up there (as they had the 500th episode in Energon, and that excluded Beast Machines from the count, I think. That and Galaxy Force, you must be looking at near on 600 episodes or there abouts now.)

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

for the 80s...though it went into the 90s (i think) TMNT was pretty long too.

8. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

He asked about an American cartoon. Most of the modern Transformers shows can hardly becalled an American cartoon. Also Beast Wars/Beast Machines was done in Canada. Transformers is pretty multinational.

I'd also guess that Scooby Doo (in all of it's many incarnations) has got to have a pretty high count of episodes.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the responses guys and yeah, I'm only considering cartoons that were aired in the US so I'm omitting the Japanese stuff like Headmasters and Victory.

Whoa, I actually forgot about Scooby Doo...I actually wanted to omit Simpsons from the list because er, it doesn't have the feeling of a "cartoon" (hard to explain). What about "action" cartoons in the 80's? Was it G.I Joe or Masters of the Universe or TFs?

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well Scooby-Doo has had various incarnations. There is Pup Named Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo Mysteries, Scooby Movies (celebrity guest stars), New Adventures, etc. Simpsons is one single incarnation. No spin off or revisions like Scooby.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    South Park must be getting up there as well.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    South park may be around 11 or 12 in seasons. Simpsons is on about 18 or so..

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

the original TMNT ran about 10 years i think. probably one of the longest running "saturday morning" cartoons. Since The Simpsons are prime time.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Out of the 80's batch of Sat. Morning/Weekday Afternoon toons, I'm pretty sure Smurfs is #1 in longest running.

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah. As far as shows that are associated with the 80's, I imagine it's a tie between Smurfs and TMNT, both of which ran for 10 years (although 7 of TMNT's were actually in the 90's). Definitely not GI Joe, they only did a couple of seasons of the original show, not counting miniseries events. Same with Masters of the Universe.

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

In terms of episodes, seasons, or years? Some shows ran for a long time without ever putting out new shows.

After scouring the "animation" section of tv.com, I came up with the following:

Simpsons wins overall with 18 seasons, most over 20 episodes. Think about it - a kid born in it's first season could be entering his first year of college. It debuted a full year before the FIRST Gulf War. ER hadn't aired yet. No one had email, and portable phones were the size of buicks. We were worried about US losing business to Japan- China and India weren't even considerations. Most Americans had never set foot in a Wal-Mart. DVD's were ten years away. Vanilla-Ice was still a yet-to-be, let alone a has-been.

Second place may be King of the Hill, which is entering it's 11th season and over 200 episodes.

TMNT originally went 10 seasons, for 190+ episodes. The Smurfs hit 9 seasons and over 400 episodes, but that's inflated as there were 3 "episodes" each week. Given the short run time of each episode (under 15 min, I think), you should probably half the number of shows to better align it with other 30 minute series. This puts it well behind Simpsons, close to King of the Hill (which is still running), and slightly ahead of TMNT. Since the Turles went longer on seasons, you could probably call this a tie for third.

Rugrats went 10-ish seasons and 170+ episodes, which puts it neatly between TMNT/Smurfs and South Park.

South Park is still in its 10th season, and has only 15 or so eps per season, rather than 20+, so it's ep total is about 50 less than King of the Hill and Smurfs, and 40 behind TMNT. In one more season it should beat out Rugrats, but it needs o run another 3 seasons to make it to #3.

The Flintstones only went 6 seasons. It still beats out South Park on episodes (over 160), but that should change soon.

Scooby Doo is interesting. The original SD: Where Are You lasted 3 seasons, but had only 27 episodes. When it ended, it immediately changed to a new 60 min format (the New SD Movies), ran for 25 eps, and ended again after 3 seasons. Clearly neither belong together, and the radical format change makes it hard to count them together.

But an argument can be made for The Scooby Doo show. It ran for 3 seasons, and was changed into The Scooby and Scrappy Doo show in '79, when it ran for 6 more. Finally it was renamed the New SD Mysteries in 84, adding one more season and about 20 eps to the total. All told there were more than 200 episodes over 9+ seasons, but that depends on whether you consider them one series that changed its name, or several separate series. Further confusing things is the number of formate changes made to S/SD Show over its run (mostly in pairing SD up with other series such as Laugh Olympics, Blue Falcon and Dino-Mutt or Richie Rich). These included changes in characters and episode length, but the title remained the same. So you have some cases where there was a change in name, but not format, and a change in format, but not name. I think we need a Scooby expert to rule on this (Anyone know who's lawn Freddie Prinze Jr. is mowing right now?) but at the very least I'd say it deserves an honorable mention.

As for Transformers...

I can't count them as a single series, anymore than I can Star Trek. There are just too many radical changes from one to the next, many in different continuities.

G1 had 4 seasons (sort of - 4th being only 4 eps) and 98 episodes.

It then continues in Japan with HeadMasters (35 eps), MasterForce (42), Victory (32), and Zone (1)

So the G1 total hits 207 if it's all combined into essentially 6 seasons (but only half of which was in the US, which, I think, prevents us from considering them by the terms of this thread).

Beast Wars had 52 eps in the US, but given the radical change in format, cast, and storyline, as well as the gap between the series it is very hard to consider linking it to G1. It is much more plausible to consider it as a whole with BM, but that would give too many fans apoplectic fits. But IF we did, that would bump the run to 78 eps over 5 seasons.

BW II/Neo, IMO, is just too radical a departure from the Mainframe series to really consider it the same. But combined, they add 79 episodes over 2 more seasons to the Japanese total.

RiD/CR again seems to exist in a universe all its own, totalling 1 season and 39 eps.

Now Aramada/Energon/Cybertron, I think, can be counted together if one desired. THe cast, characters, and storylines are fairly consistent, featuring no changes more radical than what we saw in S3 of the G1 cartoon. I'd argue these could represent 6 seasons of one series, running 156 episodes.

A total ep count gives the US 371 episodes over 15 full seasons. Of course if we were to count all of these together for a ranking, we'd have to do the same for franchises such as Batman, TMNT, Spider-Man, He-Man, Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, etc.

17. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I remember reading somewhere that the Looney Tunes shows were some of the longest running shows. They had different variations like Bugs Bunny Hour, or Bugs and Tweety hour or such. So not sure where they fall into all this. I know they weren't originally made for television, but once they were transplanted onto TV they were on there for a loooong time. But I do know that officially The Simpsons is the longest running cartoon, the Longest running Prime time cartoon, and I think the second longest running show after Gunsmoke.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I'd say The Simpsons and Scooby-Doo.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I think the Simpsons is also about to become the longest running sitcom of all time too.

Although it would be much better if "I Dream of Jeannie" could snatch that.

[​IMG]

Da da dadadadada
    Da da dadadadada
    Da da dadadadada
    Duh
    Dum de da
    Da dadada dadadadada
    Da dadada da
    Da dadada dadadadada
    Duh
    Dum de dah

20. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Moved to GD since this isn't about anime.