Which was better: ROTF or DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Megatron1, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Megatron1

Megatron1 Decepticon LEADER

I'm asking this because a lot of people have mixed feelings for these movies: Some people think ROTF was better, some people think DOTM is better.

I personally think DOTM is better, but so you can judge your opinion, here are the pros and cons of both movies.

Pros of ROTF:

Megatron puts up a better fight than in DOTM.

Devastator in the movie, which is a plus, despite the balls.

Prime's cool Jetfire power-up.

Epic action scenes

Cons:

Devastator has testicles.

The racist twins.

Optimus Prime dies.

The Fallen is weak, despite all his powers.

Pros of DOTM:

Epic action scenes.

Badass invasion of Chicago.

The Driller.

Sentinel Prime is a badass main villain.

Cons:

Megatron dies too easily.

Starscream is killed by a human (Sam)

They lied about Shockwave being the main villain.

So, which do YOU think is better.

2. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

Personally, DOTM.

I think it had a better plot line than ROTF. Because if the pyramid really hid something as large as the harvester, it would have been found.
    But because in DOTM, they were on the Dark side of the moon, we cant really see there, so the moon race being a conspiracy makes more sense to me.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    There shuld be a poll.

But on the whole I found ROTF a better film. There were more Transformers with more centred scenes, Megatron was more of a badass in this one, and the story/action was more epic and widespanning. But that's just my opinion.

4. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

DOTM its my all time favorite movie along with TF1. Dotm was pure epic ness. While RotF was really good as well but its problem were the comic relief moments that appeaered randomly

5. jazzbot180

jazzbot180 Dino-Bot

DOTM for sure!

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd go with Dark of the Moon.

The comedy was toned down so it didn't feel like they were trying too hard for a joke.

The visually cool stuff wasn't just restrained to the fights. Kind of a wow factor getting to go the moon in 1969 and then later going back to the moon with the Autobots.

A much better attempt at telling a story instead of feeling like the story was just there to get them to next excuse to blow stuff up.

The flow of the big battle just felt better. To be honest I got so bored with the battle of Egypt in Revenge of the Fallen I thought about leaving the movie early. Dark of the Moon kept my attention better even though it was also a really long battle.

There are still loads of stuff that left me rather disappointed, but I was happy with Dark of the Moon as a rental where I felt like I had thrown away the price of a movie ticket for Revenge of the Fallen.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DOTM for the following reasons:

1. Story flowed better. ROTF was affected by the writer's strike.
    2. Less crude jokes.
    3. Plot was better and the main villain's motivation was better i.e. a hero turned bad.
    4. Action seems slower, less shaky camera effect, slow-mo action sequences allowed me to appreciate the effects.

8. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

ROTF got more out of me than DOTM did. ROTF felt bigger, it felt more epic, it acted on its story clumsily but it covered everything. DOTM played it too safe and killed a lot of its own potential.

9. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    DOTM by far

10. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 501st Legion Trooper

News Credits:
    DOTM but Megatron was WAY better in ROTF.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DOTM, easily. I can count on one hand the number of people who think ROTF is better.

12. Duffcon

Duffcon Well-Known Member

Dark of the Moon hands down. Action was better. Story was better. Sure, Megs put up a better fight in ROTF, but its because of that fight that he was pretty much a debilitated hunk of scrap in DOTM.

13. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

DOTM. ROTF has really nothing but some epic moments going for it when you really look at it.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Dark of the Moon, easily. A far better structured sequel with a more compelling villain with a motivation that actually made a (mad) kind of sense.

15. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    DOTM definitely. The story moved along better, a lot of the stupid humor from ROTF was recycled, all of the Autobot and Decepticon characters had their moments to shine, Megatron was portrayed a lot better and actually showed that he had some sort of compassion in his Spark unlike ROTF and the first movie, THEY REPLACED MEGAN FOX (most ovverated actress ever), etc.

All in all, DOTM was the superior sequel and I really got into it unlike ROTF which only had a handful of epic moments (all Optimus Prime scenes, Megatron's resurrection and Bumblebee beating the scrap out of Rampage and Ravage).

16. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    ROTF all the way. For me, it felt much more like transformers than DOTM, simply because there was alot of action(as transformers should have).

One thing i don't get about people is why they think dark of the moon's plot was far better done than revenge of the fallen? IMO, the rotf plot made 10x more since. I mean, the whole "sentinel was supposed to meet up with megatron on earth" shit just takes the basis of the first movie and screws it to hell. Megatron came to earth looking for the allspark. that's it. There was no other plan involved. Also, how the FUCK did sentinel know there was another world? how did he know earth existed? and don't tell me this happened after optimus and crew left for earth because optimus stated "i watched it[the ark] leave cybertron, myself".

there's really more plot holes in dotm than in rotf. Also, another thing people ignore about dark of the moon is that there are more scenes involving JUST humans than there ever were in rotf, namely every scene in the first hour that involved sam, carly, and the hunt for sam's job. In rotf, at least, they alternated between the robots and humans more.

and you all just KNOW that dark of the moon's humor is right there with rotf's. I even find some of rotf's humor more funny than anything in dotm combined.

and FYI, the twins aren't "racist". stereotypical yes, racist:NO.(and what movie DOESN'T use stereotypes??? i mean seriously this is THE MOST childish fucking complaint about the movie).

The only problem i have with rotf is that the fallen could have done more, but that's it. To me, rotf is a perfect transformers sequel.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I can't remember where I read it at but I do remember reading something about Megatron was going to use the All Spark to revive Sentinel. Which is a better explanation of why Megatron needed the All Spark instead of just for evil in general.

I just wasn't a fan of Megatron is revived just so he can be the lap dog of The Fallen who just sort of comes out of nowhere since there isn't any real set up. It's kind of like oh the Transformers have been to Earth before but everyone forgot about it. Oh and everyone forgot there was this star killing device hidden on Earth. Or that somehow the death of a star is the only way Transformers can make energy.

But it's sort of the problems that comes with having to make it all up as you go along instead of having a plan for several films in a row. It's really only after the first Transformers film sold a lot of movie tickets and a lot of toys that someone figured out killing off Megatron might not have been a good idea.

The Twins are the Jar Jar Binks of Transformers.

18. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed all the way.

19. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:

Megatron was even worse in dotm! (another reason why i don't get people think megatron was best in dotm? he did little to NOTHING for the majority of the movie, contrary to rotf (in which he got shit done).

Well it was a longer time ago.... and megatron states that sentinel was meant to meet up with megatron in the first place. IN THE ACTUAL FIRST PLACE, he comes to earth to find the allspark, not to revive sentinel, but to "transform earth's machines and build a new army" and take over the earth, completely forgetting sentinel and the decepticons on the moon.

this is a good point.

20. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    ROTF had such an interesting premise and idea and potential.

The fallen Angel of Primus, ancient transformers, sun harvesters, Megatorn's deal with the devil, Devastator and the Constructicons, the Matrix of Leadership, a new take on the Seekers I mean so much good stuff wasted!

DOTM didn't have so much going on aside from Sentinel who was a boss but it ended up as a smaller mess than ROTF.

ROTF just had everything to make an epic of out life-times but blew it.