Which Volumes of the Marvel U.S. or U.K. Transformers Trades are the BEST?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Gears, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've started buying the old Marvel U.S. TF Trades and so far I have volumes 2 and 3, with 1,4,5,6 coming in the mail hopefully soon. I am curious as to what volumes you believe to be the best reads art-wise and most compelling stories. This includes the U.S. and the U.K. Trades. I have heard alot of good things about "Target: 2006." What does everyone think?

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Beginings, New Order, Cybertron Redux, Primal Scream, Matrix Quest, All Fall Down, End of the Road, Dark Designs, Rage in Heaven from US.

Dinobot Hunt, T:2006, Prey, Fallen Angel and Legacy of Unicron from UK.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    matrix quest, primal scream, all fall down, end of the road for the US.

2006 and space pirates in particular, due to metroplex's appearance. dinobot hunt,fallen angel and legacy are also good, but heavy on the non-TF characters as protagonist.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OK I have another question: If you had to pick only ONE Trade from the U.S. and one from the U.K. run, which would you pick as your favorite and most defining and WHY? (One from Marvel U.S. and one from U.K.)

5. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

The one from the us would be the last one, the end of the road because of the awesome unicron battle. This wasn't your cratastic armada cartoon unicron battle this battle had establish bots(scorpinock!!) getting smelted at every turn. That was the highlight for the u.s. run to me as I disliked 75% of it. Oh, yeah it features awesome artwork by Geoff Senior in the battle of unicron story, that's always a plus! As for the U.K. I would definetly pick target 2006, It was the best tf story to me ever written. It had all the core tf characters before all the -master crap and it also had beautiful Geoff Senior art(my fav Uk tf artist!). So that's my picks, sorry if my reasons suck.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno, I might opt for All Fall Down and getting a single copy of #75 for the Unicron battle. The events leading up to #75 (AFD being #69-74) are more important than #76-80, IMO, not to impugn those issues by any means. If you just start with #75, it's going to make you want to read how it came to that rather than where it goes.

For UK, yeah, I'd go with Target 2006 for much the same reasons (characters/Senior).

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if i were to choose to buy 1 from each UK/US series, i'd go with:

-US, the one where unicron shows up. ultimately it'll draw you to buy the matrix quest one too, which is highligted by the jr HMs appearance, great stuff there.

-UK, while 2006 is the the go to guy, it was quite seminal in that furman's writing was still developing, tho galvy and mags 1st fight is a visual storytelling feast, anchored by geoff's best action piece. i'd go with space pirates since it is a genuinely fun read with wreckgar and, gasp, wheelie anchoring some sub plots. also, metroplex kick quint ass!

8. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Noone has mentioned Time Wars? Galvatron's battle against the transformers is probably my favorite moment in any TF story with the exception of US issue 25.

The UK stories though are far and away my favorite. The Galvatron books, Target2006, Fallen Angel, and Time Wars are my favorites. Fallen Angel featured another of my favorite battles when Galvatron fights Death's Head and Rodimus in a much anticipated battle with humorous results.

9. RabidYak

I've not got much time for Time Wars, its little more then a contrived excuse for a big punch-up that Furman uses to sweep everything under the carpet.

10. SubotaiBaghatur

Contrived? Several years of Galvatron stories led up to that battle, I think your being a bit harsh. And even if it was just a punch up, it was the best one in the UK stories.

BTW, nice sig.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    rabidyak? harsh? o_O  what are the odds?

thats said, furman's writing was never about subtlety. i have yet to find a copy of time wars tho.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Don't order the bloody thing from amazon is all I can say. I ordered the last 4 full-size UK trades I needed just to get them out of the way (after getting 4/5 of the bite-size ones) and Time Wars for some reason was delayed, held up shipment of the rest, delayed some more, and is now in some sort of ordering limbo as the others have shipped without it.

Supposedly it'll still ship whenever the hell they get it..but methinks I'm going to look elsewhere. It'll cost more than $12.57, but now it's the last one I need dammit!

13. RabidYak

A shitload of characters coming from different places all happen to end up in the same place at the same time for a big fight that ends with a big swirly thing sucking up all the leftover plots with no real explanation beyond its being Galvatron's fault just for being there.

Then theres the nonsence that Galvy spouts during the second half of the story about winning and that the big swirly thing apparently changes that and throws the established timeline out of the window, despite the fact that Galvatron couldent have won anyway because it wouldent lead to the future he came from in the first place and there is no actual indication as to what has changed and no long term implications beyond a few dead characters.

The premise of the story is decent and there is a good build up to it, but there is little substance in the final product and it just pawns you off with some vague explanations and easy plot get outs that are full of holes and piss weak considering that its meant to be the end of 3 years of material.

Thanks, its always a good time to comment on Lucas and his bong-induced creative vision.

14. SubotaiBaghatur

I see what your saying, cant really disagree with any of it.

I really like the Galvatron character in the UK series, and that is what made Time Wars so enjoyable. For me it was refreshing seeing a bad guy that didnt always get rolled at the end of the story and run off with his tail between his legs. Galvatron's schemes didnt succeed, because he was a mad dog with a short fuse, however they didnt fail due to incompetence, but more to his destructive nature. When he lost, he lost big. I loved seeing him punching holes through transformers and ripping them in half as opposed to shooting scorch marks into them. Anyway, I'm done ranting.