Which Universe Figures Do You Think Are Up To Par With The Original Classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Dec 19, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I'd have to say that there are alot of figures in the Universe/Classics 2.0 line that are up to par with the original Classics line. There are also some that are not.....I.E. The endless supply of Ultras (especially all of the repaints.) and Prowl/Silverstreak.

But, I don't want to talk about them. I want to talk about the ones that I think are "up to par' with the original Classics line from 2006. And by "up to par" I mean as good or better than the original line. These are figures that are so good that they could've been release in the original line.

I put the 2006 Classics line up on a pedestal because they're the best of the best in my opinion.

Here's my list of good Universe figures that match up well with the Original Classics:

Sunstreaker
    Sideswipe
    Acid Storm
    Starscream
    Cyclonus--Best figure in the Universe line IMHO
    Galvatron--good figure who gets a bad rap.
    Hound

I haven't seen any of the future waves up close so I'll reserve judgement. You can include those in your list if you'd like.

So which figures in the Universe line are "up to par" and a carrying the torch of this line in your opinion?

Thanks for posting!!

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As little of a fan as I am of the Seeker mold, I think it's hands-down the most faithful to the G1 toys- correct proportions, convincing transformation and good articulation. If only they were a little bigger.

The Prowl mold is a solid #2 in terms of G1 toy accuracy and #1 in terms of my favorite Classics figure. Again, good proportions, "standard" car transformation with flip-out legs and folded-hood, very good articulation, and includes the gimicks like the built-in shoulder cannons and iconic door-wings. Little to no kibble, depending how you view the roof.

The Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mold is also pretty fantastic and very faithful to the G1 toys. Hound and Cyclonus are spot on for similar reasons as I've given above.

Maybe Bumblebee sans rocketpack/whateverthehellthatthingis.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO they're all as good, or better than the original "Classics" line.

On the whole, both "Classics" and Universe brought us some great stuff, and both had a couple of stinkers. I thought Astrotrain and the deluxe Prime and deluxe Megs molds were the crummy ones back then, and for Universe that dubious honor goes to Galvatron and Tankor.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I think the question should be the other way around, honestly. Which classics figures are up to par with the newer releases?

The newer deluxe moulds [Streaker, Prowl and Ironhide] are veeeery articulated and decently proportioned, which makes Hot Rod and Grimlock redundant in my opinion. Mirage was so crazy articulated he's still on par and Bumblebee is solid.

Prime and Jetfire are and were top notch, regardless.

Octane is pretty fun in my opinion, on par with Astrotrain. I haven't fiddled with Galvatron YET [damn it] but he appears to be a superb, if downsized figure.

Of the Ultras, Onslaught and Silverbolt are remarkable and solid figures. Powerglide could lock in better in robot mode, but he's still some fun.

All in all, the line's been a definite improvement.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I leave it off of Bumblebee. Mostly so Spike can sit in there. I do have it on Cliffjumper though.

But yeah, aside from the Energon & Cybertron repaints (with a couple exceptions), I find them all up to par with the '06 line. I'm willing to even say that a couple of them are even better, such as the Prowl mold. The Ironhide mold may have its faults, but damn if that just isn't the perfect Ironhide. And the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold is a stroke of pure genius.

Really, I think the Uni2.0 line has only fell short when it's come to the Decepticons. Octane really being the only stand-out in my mind. Galvatron should have been a Voyager, that decision to instead make it a Deluxe still baffles me. Onslaught's an alright figure on it's own, but Onslaught is a combiner who has nothing to combine to. Pretty much the rest are just repaints, which is sad.

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on youre definition. Good enough to be released with the original line? If we believe Hasbro tale that it was a filler line for kids until the movie then you're looking at characters that are easy to play with. What baffles me is how they went from a semi-articulated easy to play with line to the movie line.

New mold-wise, I'd add in Octane too. He's a little trickier then Astrotrain but he fits.

Galvatron's not up to par because he falls apart to easily which 1.0 didn't.

Hound definitely. I'm going to assume Inferno but can't say until I get one in my hands.

I really, really like the sunsteaker/sideswipe mold but I can go either way. You also have to say Grimlock/Overkill can be left out of the 1.0. It's not a bad mold, but not a gem.

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sunstreaker
    Sideswipe
    Acid Storm - don't have him, but he is an original Classics mold so...
    Starscream - see Acid Storm
    Prowl
    Silverstreak

The rest of the deluxes haven't impressed me much. Haven't gotten Cyclonus, Hound or Galvatron though...

I haven't gotten any of the other sizes to know anything about them.

8. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Onslaught. Best figure in the line, and probably of 08.

9. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I wanted Onslaught but i would have to say Sunstreaker, Prowl, Ironhide once you fix his head and SS ohhh and hound and Cyclonus which i am def buying