Which Transformers have the best Viking helmets?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 3, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The producers should find a way to incorporate Viking helmet designs into today's Transformers, the style and strength of those helmets is as immortal as Asgard itself. Anyway, my choices are:

G1 Bumblebee (the horns are on the medium size, but they still work. These days, though, he prefers antennae...)

Liege Maximo (Admit it, he’s Loki in the TF universe: Image:Liegemaximo.jpg - Transformers Wiki)

ARMADA Sideways (not just one, but two of them: Image:Sidewaysheads.jpg - Transformers Wiki)

Anyone else?

2. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    BW Bonecrusher

[​IMG]

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unicron! See also: Unicron cultists!

4. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    Ooh, and BW Retrax!

[​IMG]

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Beast Wars Torca

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Actually, I really had to be the bearer of bad news, but the idea of Vikings having horns on their helmets is a myth.

The Straight Dope: Did Vikings really wear horns on their helmets?

It's sort of a popularized cliche, but not one that has any real basis in history. Vikings, for all their modern image as berzerking ravagers, were actually pretty bright guys, professional, and more mercenary than bloodthirsty. I mean, don't get me wrong, they'd ruin your shit if there was something in it for them (hell, the word Viking is actually a verb meaning essentially "to pillage"), but they weren't going to look for trouble for no reason in most cases, and nor were they going to fight in a helmet that put them at a disadvantage (compared to an flat iron helmet with maybe a nose or faceguard).

Now, with that being said, the modern image of the Viking (helmet and all) is metal as hell and totally awesome, and I'm down with it being used in Transformers, especially to use the evil/demonic connotations of a horned being to drive home aspects of a character visually.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    B-b-b-but...most Transformers helmets are based on Samurai helmets. (like alot of robots originating from Japan) :( 

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    One of the coolest things about the original diaclone/1984 line was the sources it drew from (or at least seemed to) for the headsculpts.

Prowl and Bluestreak's head is evocative of the Japanese Kabuto (or even its later influences in Gundam-esque mech design), as does the head used in the Animation model of Ratchet
    Ironhide's head resembles the mohawked plume of the ancient Roman Galea
    Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, Sideswipe and Jazz appear to have horns like the modern image of Vikings
    Mirage's air-intake head vents look like the Nemes of ancient Egypt
    Huffer, Windcharger/Gears, Brawn, and even Trailbreaker all have simple, robotic looking faces, but if you wanted you could probably make the case that they look like the simple, brutal helmets and faceplates of the European knights.
    Wheeljack's faceplate definitely resembles the grilled face of many european suits of armor, though his "ears" make him look more like a radar dish.
    And Optimus Prime, boy is he a mish-mash. The top of his helmet screams Roman, the faceplate is more European middle ages, and the ears on the side resemble something futuristic.

as for the rest:

Hound's is pretty bland, but you could sort of say it looks like some of the helmets used in the middle ages / crusades by europeans, or maybe something closer to a modern military helmet?
    Sunstreaker, I can never decide if they were going for horns like a Japanese or Viking design, or if it was meant to be vents like Mirage's Nemes, or something else entirely

But I don't think it's ever been commented on officially, though it would make sense to draw from historical armor and martial sources in robot toy design.

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    - G1 Bumblebee/Cliffjumper
    - TFP Cliffjumper
    - Alternity Bumblebee/Cliffjumper
    - G1 style Kreon Bumblebee/Cliffjumper

10. dardmc

dardmc Arms Micron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    unicron as well!