which toyline was the epitome of transformers engineering?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I was sitting here looking at my classics, all of which are quite good, but also thinking about the "issues" with them. a lot of them required some repainting to look good, as well as many of them (none of mine, but reported) having some pretty bad quality control issues.

then I took a look at one of my beast wars neo figures, and was like, man, there's nothing that needs doing with those. the quality was great, the paint apps were varied and done well, and the transformation/engineering was quite original.

so I'd toss my vote in for beast wars (through neo) as probably having the best overall quality figures, with the alt/bt line second because of such a high variance of mismatching panel alignment and problems with missing parts/assembly/paint errors. rid is a close third in my book. g1 was quaint, but they were so limited by the technology at the time, it'd be hard to place a vote. armada was filled with pretty boring bricks, energon and cybertron both had some gems, but that's where the problems started to show up. the movie line has had a large amount of qc issues, although it has had refreshing transformations. just looking for discussion, as this sort of just popped into my head. what do others think?

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I think you would be hard pressed to pick an entire line for the award, but a single figure from each line, that might be easier.

e.g: Some of the Movie toys were amazingly engineered. (Most actually), and some, just werent (Blackout and his break-o-matic automorph).

Some figures boost the line in terms of Engineering, but some pull it down due to flaws in materials and such.
    Also, Im sure there is no line that never had at least one major QC issue.

Also, you may want to split it down further into individual things:-
    - Solidity of toys
    - Transformation
    - articulation
    - General designs
    - QC
    and others.

So for example, more accurate results could be taken from:- (eg)
    Best Engineering for the Cybertron Line:-
    - Best Articulation
    - Best design
    - Most sturdy/stable
    - Best Transformation scheme

You could also break it down into best for each size class too, for even more varied results.

3. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Alternators: Unless looked at underneath (and not even then sometimes) you couldn't tell it was a transformer many a time without knowing ahead of time. Unfortunately the line was a one trick dog.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    masterpiece, alternators and beast wars. beast wars had some amazing designs, especially when you hit the transmetal era - they looked like the CG models climbed out of your TV. masterpiece and alternators... its obvious. the engineering is downright brilliant, but there's no way they could be considered toys. you play with them, they will break.

these three lines also lacked line-wide gimmicks that dictated their designs, like armada, energon, and cybertron had.

Cassics, while a good line, really doesnt push the engineering aspect at all.

RiD, now that was complex. painfully so. the very existance of Sideburn pushes this line out of the running for any engineering accolades. Megatron doesnt help either. is there anyone who can get him into more than two modes without instructions?

Movie line... it has it's high points (concept camaro bumblebee), but it's low points are terrible. automorph cannot be a deciding factor here, because in G2 and beast wars we had figures that had pretty much the same thing. but they completely transformed themselves, rather than "oh, a panel moved. how nice". hell, automated transformation steps started back in G1.

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    My top 3:
    Masterpiece
    Alternators
    Cybertron

in that order. All have excellent alt modes, very articulated robot modes and all in all the gimmicks in do not interfere at all. Now I am generalizing a bit with Cybertron because there were some duds, but as an entire line the strongest figures more than make up for the weakest.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Masterpiece, Alts/BT and Beast Wars are my top three.

7. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

MP's and Alt's (don't feel the need to explain why), but they all have there places.

G1 was amazing for when it came out. It totally rezolutionized the boy's toys market.

Beast Wars and RID brought about a whole other perspective to what TF's could be. They brough about Shell-Formers, ball joints, beast modes, integrated weapons, modernized combiners, etc.

Beast Machines agained changed the course of the line, but it had very little carry over. Even years removed it remains as a sort of redheaded stepchild of the TF universe.

Recently Classics and Cybertron are great lines, but haven't offered anything that totally changed the brand. They are perhaps the culmination of everything that came before.

Perhaps animated will again change the way people approach the toys?

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Alternators or Beast Wars. (Most likely the latter)

Masterpeice has too many drawbacks to be the epitome. (ie. Prime's vehicle mode, SS's Robot mode)

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Ball joints and integrated weapons come from G2.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

finally, someone who feels the same way I do about the masterpiece line. again, my megatron was pretty much ok, minus a few floppy areas in the legs and I'm going to get the USA starscream, but all of the problems others had with them made me think much less of the line.

11. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Even though I do not own any alternators and just MP Prime I have to say my top 3 goes in this order:

Alternators
    Masterpiece
    I'm kinda torn between the Classics and Cybertron for third so they both make it in my book as a tie.

12. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Beast Wars NEO and Alternators. They are the very best on both ends of the TF spectrum.

Beast modes have been around in some shape or form from the earliest days of G1, but NEO was probably the best we've ever seen them look and work.

Same goes with car modes... Alternators took them to a level never seen before.

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Even though I dont like the idea behind Beast Wars, much less the actual toys, for what they are they're really well made.

14. Xplosion

Xplosion Banned

just wanted to point out that alternators did have a line wide gimmick which was there engines that turned into guns.

for me the top 3 are

cybertron for show accuracy to the highest degree
    classics
    and beast wars.

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Alternators/Binaltech and the MP line.....in that order :thumb 

:D 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    no, that wasnt line-wide, and that's not a gimmick either. just like most car TFs having their chest be the front of the car is not a gimmick.

I dont see why people are saying cybertron was great engineering-wise. nothing in the line was an engineering advancement over what we saw in the non-combining energon figures.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    as far as just lookat at the engineering, the Masterpiece line is probably the best. Each of them definitely have their drawbacks, but if you compare Megatron's transformation to just about any other TF in any other line, it's light years ahead. EARLY Alternators are up there too.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think there really is a whole line which could be the epitome, as they all have ups and downs. It might be simpler to pick out specific examples.

If I were to pick, I'd go for the Beast Wars line (including a few select examples from the Japanese BW lines). The line might not have been consistently the greatest in terms of engineering, paint, QC, et al, but it was THE line that caused a wholesale shift in expectations for what pretty much EVERY following Transformers line should be. G2 may have been the first line to introduce some of the big selling points of BW toys - full articulation, hidden weapoms, ball joints, and the like - but BW was the first line to accept them completely, as well as bring the arts of sculpting and paint application to new levels. Once BW really got going, there were several examples of complex and creative/unusual transformation designs (some better than others). Even people who hate Beast Wars and Beast toys expect to see lots of articulation and detail in their vehicle toys today. Whether BW is or isn't THE epitome, it's definitely A high point.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For Alts, I'd consider that a common feature. What I'd label as an Alt. gimmick is the wheel stuff (working steering linkages on most of them, bouncy shocks on the Jeeps)

20. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Ball joints were utilized to a far greater extent in G2 than G1, but G1 Blast Off still features them.

G2 may have been the first Hasbro toyline to use them for legs, however.