Which toyline has the most playability?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darkspeed, Jun 10, 2010.

?

Which toyline has the most playability?

1. Generation 1 (inc. -Masters line, Pretenders)

20 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Generation 2 (Rotor Force, Laser Rods etc.)

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Beast Wars/Beast Machines

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. RiD/Car Robots

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Armada/Micron Legend

17 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Energon/Super Link

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. Cybertron/Galaxy Force

17 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. Movieverse

7 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Animated

29 vote(s)
    19.6%
  10. Classics/Universe/Generations

25 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Well, depends on your point of view on the playability. For kids, yeah the Alt/BTs are the furthest thing from playability.

For me however I like the complex transformations and engineering involved so I found them to be quite enjoyable and the fact that they look like model cars is great with opening doors, hoods, trunks and some of the first TFs to have interiors.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Armada...Megatron is a mini playset as well as a tank and a robot.

3. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked G1. As others have said, for me when I was a kid the most important thing was being able to transform them quickly and keep playing.

I often look at the current toys like classics and animated and think how awesome it would have been to have them as a kid but then I think of how much transforming them would have sucked. If I had 6 or 7 of them out in a big battle and wanted to transform them, have to stop for 20 minutes to transform them all, then play for a couple minutes, and do it all again. I think I would have just ended up pretending they had transformed and not actually transform them.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    animated

5. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

I voted Armada too. Although I personally think the toys lack articulation, that's exactly what makes them so easy to play with.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Although if that's your criteria for playabilty then Metroplex, Fort Max, Tripticon, the Special Teams leaders, etc are robot, vehicle and mini playset as well. And then there's the large number of Micromaster playsets and Actionmaster vehicles.
    I think apart from maybe articulation and onscreen accuracy G1 had already covered most what later lines offered as their playability gimmicks. Obviously though G1 has the added benefit of being one big line over many years that contains a lot of gimmicks rather than short lines which use only one or two gimmicks as the theme of the line and last only a year or two.
    And personally, Micromasters and Nebulans are just as good as Minicons and Legends in fulfilling the small robot toy slot.
    Not picking on your opinon though, just offering a side-view. :) 

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Cybertron all the way.

8. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 All of the way. At least back then the ball joints don't pop off while you are transforming todays toys, but I like to poseability of today's toys to a certain point (till the arm or legs pop off).

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Although not my favorite line, I voted for Armada. I still have fun with Minicons.

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    RiD. Great new molds, and some classic G1 molds, and some Machine Wars molds. A great mix.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I say RId.

Nice mix off movabilety on the characters, both meg and galv has many diffrent modes, Combination on Prime Magnus, the combiners, the animals like predacons and skybyte..Scourge with all his gadgets in his truck. Rounded of with a Max. Cant get much better then that.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I say RId.

Nice mix off movabilety on the characters, both meg and galv has many diffrent modes, Combination on Prime Magnus, the combiners, the animals like predacons and skybyte..Scourge with all his gadgets in his truck. Rounded of with a Max. Cant get much better then that.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I say if you're going staight playability it has to be G1,because you can transform them in a matter of seconds compared to minutes with some of the other lines.Otherwise I think the Animated line is very cool too.

14. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For me personally, Beast Wars. A dramatic shift in what the line was about, decently realised organic forms, expression in the faces, proper action-figure aesthetics - each figure had at least ten points of articulation and could strike decent poses. i liked that the weapons formed an integral part of the figure so you didn't lose them. i liked that the concept was really pushed - Fuzors, Transmetals, Combiners, Transmetal II adding in greater complexity as the line progressed.

The other line, that strikes me as a real play thing (as much as it pains me to admit it) is Armada. Boldly designed toys, simple transformations and good interactive features. A lot less time spent faffing about how to work out how to get it from one mode to another, which meant you could just get on with the serious business of playing!

15. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I haven't actually played with Transformers since Armada, but today, I just sort of like to fiddle with them. Y'know, transform them and pose them and what not. So I voted Movieverse for the involved and intricate transformations and are generally articulate. Though I bet it slows down play time for children to transform them, and it probably a little hard for them. Eh, I still <3 Movie toys. Yeah, more than Classics and Animated. Wish I could say the same about the films. M'kay, I think my ramble has gone on long enough, time to stop.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Animated. Each toy has a unique gimmick, and nothing is sacrificed for the gimmick. I also love how the Transformations are engineered.

17. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to go with energon and armada having the most "play" value.
    The combining aspect is just too sweet.

If you are looking to appeal to kids, it is all about making little guys bigger.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with your post. G1 had the most playability. It had:

1. Citybots that could interact with the many of the transformers. For example, Metroplex had a "hidden" gimmick that could interact with the combiners. I saw the instruction of sorts online years ago and was impressed.

2. Combiners. The combining gimmick is also impressive with many of the limbs interchangable.

3. Animal-like bots. We had the Predacons and Dinobots.

4. Triple Changers.

5. Pretenders.

6. Micromasters. A play on the "Citybot" gimmick

7. "Masters" gimmick. Headmasters, Target Masters and Powermasters.

Heck, even the more "ordinary" bots and cons had interesting gimmicks. For example, Optimus Prime's trailer was also a "mini" playset, Megatron's scope and silencer could form a cannon. Let's not forget Soundwave too - 1 of his tapes can be stored inside him.

19. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 easily. Any toy that relies on a kid to use their imagination as a major component of the enjoyment is the most playable. These toys came with many parts that could be re-purposed into other things and included ideas like head masters, targetmasters, combiners, playsets all in one line. Can't beat it for playability from my perspective.

For kids of today i would say Armada. The transformations were simple and the toys all had gimmick features of some kind.

20. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

As much as I openly despise most of the Energon line, from a playability perspective there was a lot of potential there. Combining robots, weapons, a wide variety of figures. Armada is a close second, but the figures were pretty crummy as a whole- at least Energon had some awesome Decepticons.