Which toyline has the most playability?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Darkspeed, Jun 10, 2010.

?

Which toyline has the most playability?

1. Generation 1 (inc. -Masters line, Pretenders)

20 vote(s)
    13.5%
  2. Generation 2 (Rotor Force, Laser Rods etc.)

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Beast Wars/Beast Machines

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. RiD/Car Robots

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Armada/Micron Legend

17 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Energon/Super Link

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. Cybertron/Galaxy Force

17 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. Movieverse

7 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Animated

29 vote(s)
    19.6%
  10. Classics/Universe/Generations

25 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So for my 1000ish post, I wanted to get an idea of what everyone's favorite toyline is... Everyone's got a favorite series, but which toyline's gimmick/feature is the most fun to you? If you prefere the extra features, or you just like your Transformers to transform.

For me, the Cyber Key features of Cybertron/Galaxy Force were always fun to me; just the idea of "unlocking" the powers seems fun for kids. I would have picked Armada for the same feature (Plus Mini-Cons), but the main figures were generally uninspiring to me.

I hope I gave a fairly comprehensive list of toylines... do feel free to post if there's something specific I missed out!

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Wars!!! Robot and Animal/insect modes.... tons of playability in both.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I say Animated.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm going to go with Armada on this one.

Far from my favorite line ever, but considering that it gave you little partner vehicles that transformed on their own, activated extra weapons and sounds on the larger figures, and in some cases became pseudo-Target and Head Masters. I'd say the Mini-Con gimmick was a pretty good one.

If only the larger figures were half as good.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Laughably, while I dislike Automorph, I do like Activators and Flipchangers.

However, line-wide regular figures, I love Energon Decepticons Hypermodes.

A line as a whole, it goes to Animated.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm actually going to go with Armada/Micron Legend on this one, only because the toyline was so packed with gimmicks.

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I went with Animated because I only started collecting about 2-3 years ago so I don't have much from lines between G1 and the 07 movie, but I have a feeling that the PCC's line would get my vote if I had one (playability seems like all the PCC line has going for them).

From what I have I went with Animated because the transformations are quick and simple; and the characters just kind of look fun to me.

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I haven't played with toys since 16 years or so, of course, so I cannot really judge later toylines.

But most important was to me, that they looked cool and I loved when they bore more resemblance to their cartoon counterparts.

But really most important was: They had to transform quick! When you're playing you just cannot pause for 2 minutes because you have to transform. It had to go quick like in the cartoon so the pacing is right and it's still fun to play!

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Hands down the cybertron line. Most of the gimmick are spring loaded functions. The character aesthetics remind of G1 or classics/ universe /generations. Transformations in the line are intuitve and sleek, there are very little parts crashing into each other mid transformation or ball joints popping off like recent lines have.

There are also a variety of size classes in the line. Legends, minicons, scouts,
    deluxes, voyagers, ultras, leaders, and supreme figures.

If there is a fault with the line. Its that the cyber keys are easy to lose. I have a box to put all of mine that won't store away on the figures easily. And not everyone likes the keys. But I do feel they are a dramatic and kind of a cool play function.

Top 10: Leader Optimus Prime, Downshift, Evac ,Wing Saber, Cybertron Defense Hot Shot, Cybertron Defense Red Alert, Dark Crumplezone, Leader Galvatron, Mudflap, and Supreme Starscream.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd probably say Armada with the same type of gimmick applied line-wide.

But then if you also consider the many different types of gimmick and figure/alt types spread across the whole of the G1 toyline then that certainly gives the most variety of play options.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I voted for G1.

I just don't think you can beat stuff like the city playsets, combiners, Micromasters, Head/Target/Power Masters, Pretenders, Triple Changers etc. There is so much variety to G1 that is beats everything else hands down IMO.

I would say movie toys are a way down in second place, simply because kids would (I guess) like to re-enact scenes from the films.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for lines like Beast Wars, Animated and CHUG, but in terms of playability, ie actually approaching the line from a child's point of view with all the toys laid out on their bedroom floor, then G1 has no equal.

12. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

Funny how the movieverse and G2 has zero, for now anyway. The two lines I cant stand. Anyhow, I voted for Energon, tons of energon weapons to combine and configure, bots that can combine, granted a lot of combinations suck, still a great bunch toys to fiddle with.

13. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My (admittedly biased) opinion is G1. That's when I did most of my playing, so therefore I'll always think of them as the most playable.

Do I still play with Transformers now and then? Sure.

Is it, realistically, anywhere near as neat as it was when I was a kid? Of course not.

14. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Armada, but only because of the gimmicks.

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I thought Cybertron produced good toys with a broad range of options and a fun gimmick.
    Only the scouts suffered.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cybertron, It got me into transformers and i can still remmember most of their transformations.

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotta go with Classics/Universe/Generations. You get newly designed Transformers of old characters, which allows for a lot of play value. I enjoy more than the other lines, but Animated is a close second.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's not my favorite toyline in the least but Emerging had a fun universal gimmick. Too bad it destroyed a lot of the individual toys in the process.

19. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting question! Though I think Animated is pretty darn playable, I ended up voting for Cybertron.

Which is weird, since the AEC stuff is by FAR my least favorite part of the franchise. I guess I'm not a big playability guy. :p  (Though the Cybertron molds are great, actually... it's mostly Armada and Energon that prejudice me against AEC.)

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't understand why Classics takes the lead. It's a great line, no doubt about it, but playability is about the last thing that comes to mind when I think about those figures.

Animated was a fun line. The transformations were particularly fun, and there were a lot of unique gimmicks.