Which toyline do you think is underrated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grimlock_13, Apr 12, 2011.

?

Which toyline do you think is underrated?

1. G2

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Machine Wars

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. Beast Machines

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. RiD

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  5. Armada

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Energon

15 vote(s)
    14.7%
  7. Cybertron

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Alternators/ Binaltech/ Alternity

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  9. Other

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    RiD is my favorite from those listed, but i don't really think it's underrated, i think most folks appreciate it.

I agree with the OP on it being Cybertron ~ it got pretty slagged by nature of it's relationship with Armada and Energon, but it really did have some killer, killer molds + the gimmick was fairly unobtrusive in most cases, most figures got back to a reasonable amount of articulation, The realistic-style vehicles were much more realistic ~ The different planets was a fun way to bring in a variety of styles/themes (even though the Giant planet molds were all half-baked and pretty terrible) and the Autobots finally got totally bad-@$$ with the Cybertron Defense Force and Optimus Prime (Galaxy Convoy to this day is one of my favorites to display)

Notable molds: the aforementioned Prime and CDF, Evac (one of the best helicopter molds ever), Armorhide, Hardtop, all 3 Minicon teams, Landmine, Hotshot/Excellion, Sideways (much redeemed from the garbage Armada figure), Mudflap, Vector Prime, Voyager Cybertron Starscream, Scrap Metal, Downshift, Crosswise, Primus and Soundwave/Soundblaster

2. artiepants

News Credits:
    I still think that E. Starscream is one of the best molds ever :D 

And Energon does have a lot of solid molds on the 'Con side, but the Autobots aside from the non-combining Ultras (which are both awesome ~ I love Landmine, one of my favorite molds ever) were just uniformly garbage. I dug them out of bins recently to catalog to sell and really couldn't believe how bad the Voyagers were ~ it would have been forgiven to me if the combined modes were awesome, but most were clunky and awkward at best (hey, just like PCCs!)

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Ah thank you good sir!

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

These days, Alt/BT. That was the line that got me into collecting, and for a good year or two was the ONLY line I collected. It was pretty well appreciated when it was running, but Classics have supplanted it in popularity a lot since then. It's still the only truly, 100% collector-oriented line, though, and it has some wonderful figures (and a few that, sadly, haven't aged well). Bonus points for being the only line that is, for obvious reasons, all the same scale.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I voted for 'other' as I was looking for either Beast Wars or Animated. 2 lines which, whilst popular, are amongst my absolute favourites and don't get the love in some quarters that they deserve.
    So much character in both those, but classics etc always overshadows them. Tbh, classics pretty much seems to overshadow everything these days...

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say Energon. I have had quite a few figures and I have not gotten one I didn't like and I hear alot of people on here that bash the line pretty hard.

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And I'd agree with you. If his shoulders didn't sit so high, and if his shoulderpads didn't block his bicep swivels in most poses.

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

this.

i don't really play with my alternators/binaltech either.

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I put in a vote for Cybertron. It is clearly the best out of the Unicron Trilogy lines, but it always gets lumped in with those. I would like to give an "underappreciated" honorable mention to Machine Wars as I was almost the first vote for it. It is a sadly underappreciated line. Yes, I know they are all G2 (& G1.5) repaints with a bunch of spring-loaded basic figures, but they are so much fun and I really love the OP, Starscream, Sandstorm and Soundwave figures :D 

11. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted for Generations. At least it's underrated over here. Ta, Hasbro. ¬_¬

12. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I voted other. Animated Leader Bulkhead is one of my favorite figs ever. My experience is that even if they ARE cartoony, most of the figs are really good transformers!

13. artiepants

News Credits:
    i'll def. give you the first one, but the 2nd (not denying it's a problem) never bothered me ~ you could still get some wicked sword poses with him (and i like that he ~ mostly ~ actually looks like a real plane unlike the G2 mold) ~ the SuperLink 2nd version with the almost neon translucent blue is especially awesome.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Pretty much every toyline that's not a "Geewun update", and have a slightly different design focus to only have dedicated select as fans, not the "general public" of fans. Examples of such and why most ppl hate them are:

1. Powercore combiners - reason for hate: limbs are full of issues, all-spark blue conn., relatively little homage to Geewun.

2. Beast Wars - reason for hate: beast for alt mode for everyone instead of vehicles.

3. Animated - reason for hate: different aesthetics from Geewun. A bit cartoony. Proportions not completely widely accepted.

4. Bayformers in general - reason for hate: different aestetics from Geewun. Too alien-like. Sometimes weird leg designs.

Most of the "most disliked" lines... have aesthetics that are very different from Geewun. That in itself stems from why a line is hated, or why a line is loved.

15. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Energon, and Powercore Combiners.

16. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    absolutely the Cybertron/Galaxy Force line.... there are one of my favorite OP and Starscream molds of all time :)  But I'd vote also for the Energon line that gave us excellent toys like Omega Supreme, Galvatron and the fantastic OP and Wing Saber combos :) 

17. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Although I voted for Cybertron I consider both Energon and Cybertron underrated. Energon had awsome Decepticon molds (and a few good Autobots too) and Cybertron had awsome Autobot molds (and a few good Decepticon too). I find Machine Wars underrated because it seems like people forget one crucial thing. We got once exclusive European molds in the U.S. thanks to Machine Wars.

18. artiepants

News Credits:
    interstingly, if you cut "different from G1" from all your complaints, most of the distaste is still valid (although i think BW haters are relatively few these days, most folks think it's one of the best lines/shows ever)

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Other, though I'm not sure which one.:confused2 

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes, you are right, but you do realize that because fans mostly (myself included) love G1, our aesthetics appeal are deep down changed by it, because it is "different".

For example, Animated, I thought the proportions are dynamic and nice. But it is certainly different from every other line. And Movie? Yeah, we are used to seeing G1-ish bots.

So the reason "diff from G1" and the rest of what I stated, maybe different, but personally, I believe many of them stem from the same "root".

For the record though, these aren't my complaints, these are complaints of ppl. I collect all the lines I mentioned.