Which TFs did you pretend were other TFs growing up?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by StrifeZ, Apr 17, 2011.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nostalgia time!

So like most people, i got into Transformers playing with them, with my brother growing up. He was into GI Joe, I was into Transformers. But alas, there is a monkey wrench in this childhood. I was born in 1983, and he in 1985, so we didn't buy or play with Transformers really until 1988 through G2. That meant my first Prime, like most people's was Powermaster Prime (until G2!), my first Megatron was G2 tank Megatron, lots of Seacons, Technobots, Micromasters and (classic!) Pretenders. And yes action masters too.

But we also watched the TV show and the movie from start to finish more times than we could count. But we had a problem. We had an Optimus Prime, and eventually a Megatron, but we never had a Hot Rod, an Ultra Magnus, a Hound, a Sideswipe, a Soundwave and so forth until much later. In fact our decepticons were mostly Terrorcons, Monstructor components, a few headmasters and some micromasters.

So growing up, I'm wondering, what Transformers did you "Pretend" where other characters, and what did your factions look like.

Let me give an example. I never got a Hot Rod until the ToysRUs reissue in 2003 or something. So we used Autobot Pretender Gunrunner. Yeah this guy:
    Gunrunner (G1 - Transformers Wiki)
    He looked like Hot Rod in that he had a Red Car, an orange robot mode, and you take his black "missiles" on the side of the car and plug them into the robots arm pegs, it approximates in a way suitable for a 5 year old, Hot Rod's arm guns.

Another one is Pretender Cloudburst: Cloudburst - Transformers Wiki
    Who did we say he was in robot and vehicle mode? Skyfire. Yep. They have nothing in common besides both being autobot jets.

And my favorite, Actionmaster Inferno. Who did we say he was? Ironhide. Why not Inferno? Well who showed up more!

Then we had a micromaster ambulance we said was Ratchet, Pretender Bumblebee, and a bunch of Styrofoam shipping inserts + Micromaster Countdown base that we called Autobot City, so you know, we could reenact the movie, this time with Pirhanicon, G-2 Megatron, and a couple broken 2nd hand Constructicons.

Anyone else have this level of "imaginary" play growing up? I'd love to hear it.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ummm... Nope.

3. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used energon downshift as Wheeljack.

4. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I actually wasn't born untill late in the 80's so my collection consisted of 90% micromasters. I used to believe the blue truck one was optimus, etc, etc. It kinda makes it more fun because I could build ships and what not out of cardboard for them. I was a pretty imaginative kid haha

5. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Does it count if you pretended hot wheels were autobots?

6. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I played with my hotwheels, TMNT, Batman, and X-men toys along with my transformers. It was not common for me to have all four of my turtles fighting Powermaster Prime.

7. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I got into G1 Transformers far later than most (I was born in '93), so it was practically all stand-ins for me...RID Towline as Optimus (no, I'm not kidding :lol )...RID Skyfire as Starscream...RID WARS as Hot Rod/Rodimus...those were pathetic times... :tongue: 

8. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Didn't start getting Transformers until '85 or so, all my toys were second season and older--with the exception of Megatron (which my dad bought me on a whim when I saw it in a glass case at some collector store, again in '85). I never got an Optimus Prime, but we did end up getting Ultra Magnus. So, as a result, the white Prime became our Optimus Prime. My brother and I would just transform the armor and balance the helmet on its shoulders for Magnus. :D 

That was about all. Everyone else we either had or we didn't.

9. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    Normal Cheetor- Deluxe Cheetor
    Super Saiyan Cheetor - Transmetal Cheetor
    Super Saiyan 2 Cheetor - Transmetal 2 Cheetor

Yes, I was also a DBZ fan growing up.

10. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always used G1 Hubcap as my Bumblebee. Before I even knew about COmbaticons, I used Optimus, Hound, Blitzwing, and a few others to form "Armybots." And I also lowered the spoiler on Rodimus to the bottom hole on his back when he was my Hot Rod. I was a broke mofo when I was 11....lol

11. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used Mircomasters as other things all the time. My brothers had Gen 1 stuff but they were older and wouldn't let me use any of it. I had a Power Master Prime, and a few seacons. Most of the time I would have the Micromasters fight Prime because he was so big. I also remember using Battle Beasts with them too. I find it funny that years later I find out they were meant to be part of Transformers (Thanks Japan, lol)

12. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I used RID Bludgeon as a pre-war Megatron, and Cybertron Deluxe Optimus Prime as pre-war Optimus (or Optronix, as I called him).

13. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Nope. I was 10 in '84. Pretty much all the characters in the cartoon and comic were the guys I was buying. The closest I came was using Shackwave as Shockwave, but that's a common and expected occurence. Any Transformer I didn't have (like Megatron and Starscream) I just didn't use, hence why Shackwave was leader of my Decepticons. Which fit, as Shockwave was leader of the Decepticons for large portions of the early comic run, and I read a lot more of the comics than I did of watching the cartoon.

14. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    I had 2 Diaclone drivers back in the kiddy days, a male and a female. So I would just pretend that they were Spike and Carly when playing with TFs..

Oh, and I didn't have Optimus Prime for the longest time, so I would make my favourite TF at that moment a Prime instead. Heh, Punch-Counterpunch and Powermaster Getaway were repurposed as Primes.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Beast wars Grimlock was my Dinobot.

16. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Micromaster Overload was Optimus Prime!

17. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Freaken G1 Optims Prime of course!

18. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was born in 85 so I can definitely relate. My first Prime was Powermaster Prime, and I used Joyride as Hot Rod. I accidentally broke Joyride in half and then used its torso and the shuttle part of the Micromaster HQ to make him Rodimus Prime.