Customs: Which TF: Prime figures/molds are easier to paint than others?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by payton34, Apr 24, 2012.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From easiest to hardest, which TF:p rime molds are the easiest to repaint (in terms of fewest rub points, matching colors, etc)?

(I'm only going by the ones I have personally encountered)

Ranked from easiest to hardest:

- Takara FE Cliffjumper (the mold is practically perfect, only minor detailing required)

- RID Wheeljack (similar to CJ, the figure is nearly perfect as-is. Just some minor detailing required)

- RID Ratchet (very few points of rubbing/friction and there's not really a LOT of extra paint needed to make it more show accurate. Most of the paint required will be on the back and shoulders/arms. Everything else is minor detailing)

- RID Voyager Megatron (not my preference, but one could theoretically just take a silver sharpie marker and go over the figure and it'll be an improvement. Just some minor detailing after that and it's done)

I haven't personally tried painting (voyager) Prime or Bulkhead, but I'd imagine they'd be the hardest.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Voyager Megatron is the only figure I've painted so far (just need time to take pics to post), and honestly I didn't even take the figure apart to do it. The transformation scheme lends itself well to keeping parts apart far enough to manage painting while still attached. And because of that, I don't think I have to worry about rubbing too much.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Megatron would probably be another fine example of a figure that you don't really need to take apart to repaint. There are a lot of parts that can be moved around and flipped open for repainting purposes.