Which TF G1 comic book should I start with

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I haven't really read any of the G1 comic books. So I was wondering, which one should I start with? Which are some of the better ones out there?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Start right at the beginning, with Marvel's original four-issue limited series.

3. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you mean which of Marvel, Dreamwave and IDW, or which original Marvel/UK comic should you start with?

Personally I prefer the IDW stuff, but I think I'm in the minority there. The -ation series and Spotlights are amazing, and of course Last Stand of the Wreckers has set the new standard for Transformers fiction.

A good lead-in to LSotW from the UK series is Target 2006, the first appearance of the Wreckers.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Could you guys be as specific as possible? The only reason I ask is cause I am brand spanking new to these comics. So I am not sure what the first 4 Marvel ones where actually called.

Unless there is a comic book timeline or something I can refer to.

As for IDW, I was looking at those too. They look pretty neat.

5. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like the Wikipedia article gives a nice overview. First step is deciding which of the three main timelines you want to jump into:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(comics)

Personally I think the IDW stuff is the best place to start. The stories are probably better able to hold the attention of an adult reader. I'm currently in the middle of re-reading all of the old Marvel/UK comics, and while fun, a lot of it just doesn't age well.

If you decide you want to start with the IDW stuff, I think the IDW Collection books are the best value. You can get the first one for about $30 on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...6676/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309439772&sr=8-1

It blends the -ation series and Spotlight comics in the best reading order, not necessarily chronological order. Plus it's hard cover and the art looks great on the nice thick pages.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

If you want to start at the beginning, with the G1 Marvel stuff, I think the TFwiki has a pretty coherent guide, including synopses of the various lines (US and UK). Just to get into the flow of it, I'd recommend starting at the beginning, but the art's kind of primitive, and of course it's an 80's licensed comic, so the writing has its ups and downs (and a guest appearance by Spider-Man :)  ).

I think the BEST little portion of those early G1 Marvel comics is the "Warrior School" arc with Ratchet and Megatron. It stretches over about 3 issues, and includes some of the best art the Marvel series had (William Johnson only ever did 2 issues and a couple of covers, sadly). I think it starts around issue #5, but refers to events that take place in the first 4-issue miniseries (that continued on at that point).

There are some good stories along the way, especially later when Furman took over the US title. Probably you should just see if you can find the whole damn run... somehow. ;) 

zmog

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Marvel not doubt. The better read.

8. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits: