which system has the best 2-D games, and why?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Nov 9, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've been on a huge retro kick lately, basically hitting up the genesis and snes for classics I never got around to playing, as well as others that I just thought might be cool. such as animaniacs and the snes aladdin. I still think my favorite is the genesis, because the 4 main sonic games are just golden in my book, and games seemed to control a bit better in the sega versions, even thought the snes just had absolutely gorgeous graphics. but without limiting to just those two systems, which system could be crowned king of 2-D games?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Gotta say SNES... aside from the library being too good, the colors and sound are a lot richer and make for a better experience game-wise. While I agree the Sonic series in it's 2D roots is great, the Mario games aren't slouches either, and you've got some great games like Megaman X series, Super Castlevania 4, anything with the word "Squaresoft" involved, and the origins of 3D games with Star Fox, not to mention the more arcade-accurate ports of Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat games (Okay, minus the blood for #1). It was the more versatile system as well with the better control layout... I never could get used to the Genesis having all the buttons in a line, hard to hit more than one at a time, sucked for a game with a run button or jumping and attacking with two different buttons.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SNES would get that honor in my books. The SNES had the graphics, the sound capabilities, the better controller, and at times the better games. There was also much more of a range of games on the snes than on the genesis or any other 2D gaming system.

while the genesis had some awsome 2D games such as the sonic series, Jurassic park, and a bunch of others, often times the sound and the color depth was the biggest draw back on the genesis. The colors on the genesis always seemed very dark, with a great deal of purple/dark blue, and black/red, while the snes had much more vibrant colors, that ranged from the very dark colors, to the lighter colors. Sound was also much better on the snes I thought. The genesis always sounded kind of tinny to me, like a worn out speaker. But the SNES generally seemed to have a higher quality sound present in it's games.

One other system that I would consider among the top 2D systems in the fighting category would be the neo geo. KOF 2000 is one of my all time favorite games, and while the neo geo never really seemed to have a huge range of games on it, the kof, AoF, Garou, and Metal slug series are among some of the best series I've seen

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oooh, I forgot about the neo-geo.

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

GENESIS! General Chaos, Mutant League Hockey, all the Sonics, Ultima, NHL 94 and the list goes on! (I didn't have that many Genesis games, so my list isn't huge).

6. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I didn't play the Genesis very much since I didn't have one but did play Sonic. I loved the SNES though. Both are great systems. Since you aren't just counting those two then in time it could be the Wii. It's Virtual Console has games from the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TurboGrafx16, and Neo Geo. If the best games from each of those were added then you would have one hell of a retro gaming system. Right now though it is still adding games, even some Japanese only games, so it has a long way to go so I would say a tie between SNES and Genesis.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've been wondering about this whole virtual console thing, since I don't have any of the newer systems. how does it work, and do you actually pay for those games and download them, or play them online, or what?

8. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

You pay for the games, then download them to your system. You can either pay by credit or by Gamer points you buy in the store. Most of the VC ones are over priced though. I'd rather play my originals. the Xbox 360 also has the Arcade, where you can play a whole whack of classic games aswell. Up to preferences really.

9. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I say genesis. You CAN'T beat the 4 Sonic Games, Toejam and Earl 2, and that Mickey Mouse game which was full of win.

And how could I forget Animaniacs, which CKh told us about, and that art game. I loved that art game which I can't name. :( 

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Genesis (MegaDrive) FTW:

All the Sonics (EVEN MEAN BEAN MACHINE AND FLICKY)
    Earthworm Jim
    Cool Spot
    Aladdin (way way way better than the SNES one)
    Mickey in Castle of Illusion
    Mickey + Donald in World of Illusion
    Kid Chameleon
    Golden Axe's
    Streets of Rage
    Decap Attack

And so on and so forth.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahh, I played plenty of everything, but I gotta give it to SNES:

Super Metroid, Castlevania 4, TMNT Turtles in Time, Final Fights, better versions of street fighter 2, better controller scheme, Super Mario All stars + super mario world, Actraiser, Squaresoft games, Super Punch out, Donkey Kong Countrys, better version of Super Turrican 4, Super Contra 3, Super Star Wars Trilogy, all the Mega Mans... the list goes on!

Besides better visuals, the SNES had a great sound chip, and some of these games have amazingly incredible soundtracks.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

SNES.

Mario World, Mario Kart, Mario All-Stars, Yoshis Island, Super Punch-Out, Assault Suits Valken, R-Type 3, Super Star Wars, the good version of Tournament Fighters, a version of Turtles in Time that had better gameplay then the Arcade and the Final Fight sequels. Plus loads that arn't my bag but get good word from pretty much everybody else (Zelda, Metroid, RPGs etc...).

The best home versions of SF2 WW and HF were a big draw at the time, but theres no reason to play them on the SNES now that every title in the series has better ports on newer systems.

13. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

No one has yet to Mention Comix Zone or Vectorman.

14. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    SNES. My all-time favorite system out of the 2-D consoles. In fact, I've got a good list of all the SNES games I loved:

Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
    Mario Paint
    Mega Man X
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition
    NBA Jam
    Paperboy 2
    Street Fighter II
    Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

I wish I had my old SNES back...:( 

15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Ah Aladdin... the first (and to date only) game that my wife (then girlfriend) has finished. I'd also throw my hat in for the Genesis.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :rock 

17. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I forgot about Earthworm Jim! Loved that game. Especially when you had to save the puppies with a giant marshmallow/ pillow. If you missed them, they splatted on the ground :D 

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Wii.

Get Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection, Megaman Anniversary Collection, and Megaman X Collection for gamecube, and then go nuts with the virtual console.

19. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Genesis!!!
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the greatest 2d platformer bar none.

That is if you discount emulation if emulation is being counted then its
    Win/Lin/Unix/BSD/Mac PC x86 or x64
    PSP via ported emulaters and PS3 via Linux
    Xbox lots of ports of PC emulaters have been transitioned to the Xbox
    Wii via Virtua Console

20. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

100% Agreed. If that wasn't good enuf it also gave Sonic 2 more Replay doing it with a new Character.