Which Soundwave to get? Need help.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Makxsh1mum, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

I searched throughout the toy and feedback forums and did find some useful video reviews by optibotimus (sorry if i spelled that incorrectly) and seanlong, but still would like some input for this noob.

So I've just started collecting again and mainly have bought the Henkei line of TF's and i just love the quality on those so far. I do have the reissue Jazz but haven't transformed him yet. What I'm trying to do as a new collector that's just gotten back in the game after ~18 years of non-collecting is just to get characters that i love. And soundwave definitely is one of my faves from back in the day, so i was looking around and lo & behold, there are two toys that i've narrowed it down to, both at about the same price, but need your guys' help to figure out which one to end up getting. Main concern is quality of the toy itself.

I always hear about hasbro's QC issues and so i'm a bit scared of the TRU exclusive SW w/ravage and LB. Looks sweet from the vids, but the vids didn't mention any qc issues (or maybe there aren't any). But does anyone know the diff between the takara reissue 03 version vs this TRU version (other than fact that tru's comes with both ravage & lb - which mebbe should be justification enough to get that version)? Oh, and i realize that the TRU version holds double cassettes too. But, I mean, i'm paying at least $60 from what it seems, so it's an important decision to me. I'm definitely leaning towards the TRU version.

I also decided to pony up the $60 each for thundercracker/skywarp cuz they just look fantastic and having a couple of seekers is a must for me (am getting Uni SS so hopefully that one's nice).

Any comments/insight is welcome. Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks!

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

There's nothing wrong with the Quality of the TRU version .

3. Makxsh1mum

nice name. thx for the input.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

TRU version is great!!

5. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    The encore is the original chest with only Laserbeak and the Hasbro is the larger(fatter) chest that holds 2 tapes.Hasbro comes with Ravage and Laserbeak.

Get the encore if you want a true g1 remake or the TRU reissue if you want Ravage.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    TRU Soundwave is better than the encore because you get both ravage and lazerbeak. and the quality is great on it.

7. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Aniversary version is fine dude, great mold that still looks sweet

8. glancer

glancer Dinobot

though not mentioned here I prefer the music label one, it just matches the classic line idea. yet the price is kinda...

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    The dual tape version is cool because you can mimic the show and eject tape after tape after tape (ok, just 2, but it's better than just 1).

10. Makxsh1mum

Haha, ya, that's what i was thinking. Well it seems like everyone is pretty satisfied with their TRU version. Imma get that one. Thanks guys!

11. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    You can't go wrong with the TRU version.

12. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I have TRU Soundwave and I'm very happy with it.

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I had the TRU Soundwave but sold it to get the Encore version. The TRU set comes with Ravage but the protruding chest door bothered me enough to get rid of it.

If the protruding chest door doesn't bother you then get the TRU set because you get the extra cassette. Personally, I prefer the Encore version because the flat door makes Soundwave look that much better.

And besides you can always get the updated Ravage with Universe/Henkei Hound.

14. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It comes down to if you like the bigger chest or not and how many cassettes you want. I would get the TRU version personally.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the TRU reissue as well, and it's very cool. No QC problems to speak of at all.

The Thundercracker/Skywarp Encores are also nice.

16. Makxsh1mum

thanks guys. Ya, ordered the TRU version from bbts. Set me back a pretty penny, but oh well. as for the thundercracker/skywarp encores - they don't look that great in pics. They're cheaper it seems (by a lot), but i really like the way the henkei's look more. Oh well, luckily for me, i'm not a completionist by any means, so spending more on specific units is ok for now.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i am going to get music label soundwave soon i hope, him and my universe ravage will have fun

18. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    if u want a pure G1 soundwave, get the encore.. but the TRU soundwave has no issues for me, its cheaper... and it comes with two cassette bots... i think thats the best option for u.. QC is fine on it, and apart from the larger door, its the same as G1 soundwave

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I agree with this.

20. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits: