Which Soul of Chogokin SPEC Evangelion to get?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Prozak, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

I really can't make up my mind which one of the XS models to get. I'm debating between the XS-01R and the XS-03.

I have not seen the Evangelion series which is why I can't decide on which one to get. Lately I've been waiting for stuff to come out on blu-ray before buying it and I heard that we will see a north american release of 1.11 on blu-ray sometime next year so I will probably end up becoming familiar with the series through the rebuild movies as I can't see any indication that the original series will come out on blu-ray anytime soon.

Anyways, part of me says get the XS-03 as that's how I'll probably first experience the series, but then another part says go for the original XS-01R.

Or should I wait for Bandai to release the newer iterations in the coming up movies?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't recall the numbers assigned to it but if you're referring to the purple Eva...here's my take on it. I believe the first release - one was prone to breakage. And the issue was resolved with the 2nd release - the ones with the sword? I have the later and its still holding up fine but of course I must stress that this toy is meant for collectors i.e. it can't survive drops etc! X)

3. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Well I don't play with my toys beyond posing them and displaying them. The XS-01 is the Eva 01 that is prone to breaking and the re-release was the XS-01R. I'm not too sure where the XS-03 stacks up in durability or quality control. I've only seen one comment where someone was complaining of loose armor pieces but that's just one comment and there aren't too many comments on these as it is.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I've had XS-01 for over a year and nothing broke, frankly...

What you wish to buy relies solely on preference of colour scheme, thankfully. I've read NO reviews as to what XS-01R fixes or what the new supposed joints are, but from Eva 02 and 00' I've got, there doesn't seem to be much room for improvement.

Personally, I'd wait to see if they pimp out more movie evas in the line. The awakening version of 01 is nice, but I really want to see 02 and 05, not to mention there's two new evas after 05.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get what you mean but I recall that collectors that suffered breakage also commented/claimed that they all they did was pose, display and fiddle wth their Eva. At the end of the day, its your call. For me, I chose the XS-01R because I prefer some of the extras it had like the sword.

6. Prozak

Prozak Well-Known Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not going for the XS-01. Everything I've read about it says that it breaks from just looking at it. I'm either going for the XS-01R or the XS-03.

Yeah I'm debating just waiting to see what other movie eva's they bring out, but from what I can tell, the 01 in the purple-green color scheme is the iconic eva and as I won't be buying all of them, I do want to go for the most iconic designs. The eva 01 XS-03 I see is already discontinued. I haven't seen Bandai announce an 01 eva for the 2.0 movie besides the "awakening" one so I'm wondering how many redesigns the eva 01 will go through and if they will keep releasing versions of the iconic looking 01 in purple/green. I haven't seen the movies but am I right in assuming that the "awakening" one is only seen in a handful of scenes?

On a bit of a side note, does anyone know if there are knockoffs of these toys? I see the XS-01R on ebay for about 76 shipped from hong kong which is a pretty good price and not unrealistic as these tend to retail for about $70