which series had the best story

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by caecae22, Oct 17, 2010.

1. caecae22

caecae22 Fifth Face of Darkness

Twitter:
    which transformers series had the most exciting or just the best story i personally think that cybertron did i dont know why i just really liked it what do you think?

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Beast Wars and Animated, no other answer is tolerated

Victory and Masterforce are in second place

3. caecae22

Twitter:
    i liked animated but not really the story. though i liked beast wars, story.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Animated.

Morally corrupt Autobots in control of a Cybertron that exiled the Decepticons for wanting basic rights for soldiers who go so far as to create weapons of mass destruction just to ensure their totalitarian hold on their systems. The Decepticons aren't heroes either, but they do seem to be more true to themselves.

The primary cast includes a member who suffers from PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), an officer who took the blame, a martial artist who can't find his center, and some kids on their first mission.

That's even without touching the McCarthy-esque sytem of government that Sentinel implimented.

BW had a great story, but for me Animated beats it because every episode in Animated led to either that seasons finale or for something in later seasons to further use, whereas a great deal of BW season 1 could be easily skipped and then that last season was very rushed and TO SELL TOYS product heavy. Plus there's two fantastic All-spark Almanacs.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Animated, followed by Beast Wars. Animated was kind of the like the story of Optimus going from young leader to the vaunted leader of the autobots. Very cool.

6. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Animated. If only they'd used a more familiar TF aesthetic instead of the anime-ish super-deformed style, it would have been the best series of all times.

7. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Animated

8. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Beast Wars + Machines

9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animated and Beast Wars/Machines. I very much like both stories and are the only ones I go back and watch with any regularity.

10. caecae22

Twitter:
    i personally really disliked beast machines
    probably because it was so dark i dont know i just really didnt like it and i only watched a few of the episodes.

11. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

From the series I've (mostly) seen...

1. Beast Wars
    2. Beast Machines
    3. Animated
    4. Masterforce
    5. G1

12. dario_julius

dario_julius Dimensional Paradox!

When I was younger I watched Beast Machines. Disliked it as it gave me a headache after the episode was over and didn't know a damn thing on was going on.

Recently, I committed myself to watch the show again through Youtube. And after watching the show completely in order, I can say it is my favorite series as yet.

I watched G1 and enjoyed it as well, with my preferences lie with the Season 3 characters.

I don't read a lot of comics so I cannot say how that goes.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    BW and Animated win like always.

BW- The fact the Predacons main plan is to prevent the Autobots winning the great war and preventing the Maximals from existing and on a Decepticon controlled Cybertron. That's Brillaint....that must of kept a lot of G1ners interested.

Animated- First time since Beast Wars we had truly well written charecters. Optimus Prime isn't the leader of the autobots but a leader of a small repair team who takes on Megatron one on one. I found this is my favourite charecter of Optimus Prime due to having faults, an actually charecter and still is the Messiah he always is.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    1. Marvel G1
    2. Animated and Beast Wars (tied)
    3. Masterforce

15. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Beast Wars for its depth of character development and innovation in Transformers Mythology (the invention of sparks, protoforms, Vok etc) and Beast Machines for its mature, dark and philosophical storyline and stylish animation and both for the phenomenal voice acting. Animated had a lot of potential but I found it only ever scraped the surface of what it was capable of, a shame because it could have been as good or better than both Beast Wars/Machines. So if i were to make a list:

1. Beast Machines
    2. Beast Wars
    3. Animated
    4. Superlink (not Energon)

16. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast machines and animated im not keen on the character desighns or toys but both wwhere great toons

P.s. you should really make this thread a poll

17. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    My vote's for Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Loved the G1 tie-ins along with the humor (in Beast Wars).

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As a complete work, Beast Machines tops them all. It's dark and has real character development (disregarding how it derailed some of the Beast Wars personalities). But unlike any other Transformers series, it has a clear sense of progression, beginning middle and end. Sorry but even Beast Wars and Animated felt like their stories were being made up to fill the need for more episodes as requests for additional seasons came in.

As individual series though I do prefer Beast Wars or Animated. Same level of character development and some excellent stories, although neither had that sense they were building to a conclusion from the first episode to the last like Beast Machines does. In some ways though they benefit from that, I've seen plenty of shows that set their sights on a finale and markers along the way, and forget things like developing the characters along the way.

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Beast wars and animated. Enjoyed them both alot

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I agree with these 2 cases. Animated was fun as hell, and definitely my favorite TF Cartoon, but I wouldn't say the story was super compelling. I liked some of the story -elements-, like the Decepticons actually being stronger than the Autobots for once, and Megatron attempting to get his body in Season 1. But as a whole, I didn't find it too cohesive.

Beast Wars had a good story, but as Bob Forward himself said, they were just kind of winging it. The episodes that were really plot-heavy seemed to come out of nowhere compared to the episodes that were character-heavy or just plain hijinx. But Megatron and Dinobot really managed to sell you on those plot-heavy ones.

Beast Machines had lousy pacing, wasn't nearly as fun to watch as the other 2 (great production values, though), but you knew the story was actually going somewhere. With how surprising the beginning of the series was, they pretty much -had to- expand on that.

Anyway, my favorite story isn't in the cartoons at all, but in the comics. I think the Marvel G2 story is awesome. In only 12 issues, it gives a comprehensive origin story of where the Transformers came from, how they reproduce, and how this affects the universe at large, while at the same time also telling a kick-ass story in the contemporary era. You got the Swarm, who are a direct by-product of that origin story, Jhiaxus, the Liege Maximo, and their faction, who came to be because of the results of that origin story. some nice character moment between Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Grimlock, Bludgeon... and all with that hilarious 90's XTREM artwork. Ya gotta love that picture of Grimlock in beast mode from the first issue, and Sideswipe with spiked wheels... It all may seem a little scattershot at first, but it comes together to make one solid work (if only it hadn't ended on a cliffhanger...). I'm really hoping IDW releases it as an omnibus someday.